• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can my 18 y/o daughter OC my handgun?

Seduced

First time poster here. I've searched the web and this forum for the last two hours and could not find updated clarification on this. There seem to be conflicting opinions on this but my interpretation of NC law is that anyone who is 18 years old can OC in NC, but they cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer. They can however buy a handgun through a private sale or obtain one as a gift from an immediate family member. Please correct me on this if I am wrong.

The bottomline is that I want my 18 y/o daughter to legally OC my handgun and not just to show off, but for protection when she is out in certain parts of Fayetteville such as Ramsey Street and the Skibo Road area.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited:

hotrod08

First time poster here. I've searched the web and this forum for the last two hours and could not find updated clarification on this. There seem to be conflicting opinions on this but my interpretation of NC law is that anyone who is 18 years old can OC in NC, but they cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL dealer. They can however buy a handgun through a private sale or obtain one as a gift from an immediate family member. Please correct me on this if I am wrong.

The bottomline is that I want my 18 y/o daughter to legally OC my handgun and not just to show off, but for protection when she is out in certain parts of Fayetteville such as Ramsey Street and the Skibo Road area.

Thanks in advance for your time.

First off, welcome to the forum.

Any person who is over the age of 18 and is not a prohibited person from possessing a firearm may open carry.
I personally would suggest taking your daughter to the Sheriff's Office in her county and apply for a PPP, get her a weapon retention holster, and a audio recording device. Also, she will need to know the laws for use of force, where she may/may not carry, etc.

http://www.ncdoj.com/files/about-doj/law-enforcement-liaison/2007-nc-firearms-gun-laws.aspx Page 32
AGE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PURCHASE AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS:

North Carolina law does not currently address specific age requirements for the purchase of
weapons.

Rather, it looks to the federal standards for such restrictions. Under federal law, 18
U.S.c. § 922(b)(I), federally licensed gun dealers are prohibited from selling handguns to
persons under the age of 21. Further, all other purchasers of shotguns and rifles are required to
be at least 18 years of age.

Therefore, while a pistol purchase permit can be issued to an
individual 18 years of age or older, such persons aged 18, 19, and 20 could not use the permit to
purchase a handgun from a federally licensed firearms dealer.

North Carolina General Statute § 14-269.7 provides that it is a misdemeanor for any person
under the age of 18 to willfully and intentionally possess or carry a handgun. A handgun is
defined as a firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand,
or any combination of parts from which such a firearm can be assembled.

From the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Association
http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/Concealed Handgun Permits.pdf

I Am Not A Lawyer.

Last edited:

madcitysw

There has been a couple topics like this in the past, from what I read that she can't purchase a handgun, but legally can open carry the handgun meaning not concealed on her hip. Best to contact your attorney for more information on this matter.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Your daughter is legal to OC at 18 yo.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=139

She needs to be aware of certain restrictions though such as minimum size in Chapel Hill and where no carry is permitted. Suggest a good permit course for generalized information, even though see won't be eligible for a permit for several years yet.

XD40sc

There has been a couple topics like this in the past, from what I read that she can't purchase a handgun, but legally can open carry the handgun meaning not concealed on her hip. Best to contact your attorney for more information on this matter.

She can't purchase a handgun from an FFL dealer, but she can purchase (with a PPP) in a private sale, say perhaps from dad.

Knowledge is her friend, and recommend the concealed carry course for the legal aspects. If she is new to shooting, the pistol course aspect will also be beneficial.

Her certificate from the course is good for 5 years, so when she turns 21 she can use it for her CHP application.

Seduced

Thanks everyone. I was a DoD certified use of force instructor and advanced firearms instructor, so she will be squared away in that department as will her knowledge on OC laws. I truly fear for her safety in Fayetteville after reading about the robberies that take place in parking lots on just about a daily basis, not to mention the young soldier (Kelli Bordeaux) who went missing over a year ago, is still missing, and no one has been arrested as a suspect. Her kidnapping took place about a mile from our house and the perpetrator is still out there, possibly waiting for the opportunity to do it again. That's the whole reason I ended up finding this forum, which is a treasure chest of great information. I want her to be safe, but also be in accordance with the law. I've read a lot about Fayetteville being one of the more friendly OC areas because of Fort Bragg, but it does seem somewhat unsettling that many OCers feel the need to carry a recording device of some sort. I feel the 2A is in place to allow citizens to defend themselves from government tyranny, but more so in this day and age for personal protection. Having to keep a recording device to ensure our rights are not infringed upon by LE is unfortunate and something I wish my daughter would not have worry about.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
First time poster here. I've searched the web and this forum for the last two hours and could not find updated clarification on this. There seem to be conflicting opinions on this but my interpretation of NC law is that anyone who is 18 years old can OC in NC,

Thanks everyone. I was a DoD certified use of force instructor and advanced firearms instructor, so she will be squared away in that department as will her knowledge on OC laws.
--snipped--
I feel the 2A is in place to allow citizens to defend themselves from government tyranny, but more so in this day and age for personal protection. Having to keep a recording device to ensure our rights are not infringed upon by LE is unfortunate and something I wish my daughter would not have worry about.

Perhaps I am the one confused. You seem to ask for clarification on the legality of her OCing.

Digital recorders = an ounce of prevention.

Seduced

I understand the law as it pertains to a person who is lawfully permitted to OC, meaning where they can and cannot carry. What I was unsure about was the legal age to carry OC. My search results found some who said 18, some say 21. Some interpreted the 21 age requirement to purchase a handgun as the default age to legally possess the handgun. Their argument was how can someone legally possess a handgun when they are not even old enough to buy one. That's not the way I interpret that aspect of the law and that appears to be the consensus with everyone here. Sorry if my statements were confusing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I understand the law as it pertains to a person who is lawfully permitted to OC, meaning where they can and cannot carry. What I was unsure about was the legal age to carry OC. My search results found some who said 18, some say 21. Some interpreted the 21 age requirement to purchase a handgun as the default age to legally possess the handgun. Their argument was how can someone legally possess a handgun when they are not even old enough to buy one. That's not the way I interpret that aspect of the law and that appears to be the consensus with everyone here. Sorry if my statements were confusing.
Think you have the right understanding now. No offense was intended. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

muccione

No offense taken and thank you for the helpful info. Now I need to look at audio/video recording laws in NC.

I bet she has a smartphone... There are a ton of apps for recording. Set the phone to have a lock screen and turn on record.

Maverick9

Thanks everyone. I was a DoD certified use of force instructor and advanced firearms instructor, so she will be squared away in that department as will her knowledge on OC laws. I truly fear for her safety in Fayetteville after reading about the robberies that take place in parking lots on just about a daily basis, not to mention the young soldier (Kelli Bordeaux) who went missing over a year ago, is still missing, and no one has been arrested as a suspect. Her kidnapping took place about a mile from our house and the perpetrator is still out there, possibly waiting for the opportunity to do it again. That's the whole reason I ended up finding this forum, which is a treasure chest of great information. I want her to be safe, but also be in accordance with the law. I've read a lot about Fayetteville being one of the more friendly OC areas because of Fort Bragg, but it does seem somewhat unsettling that many OCers feel the need to carry a recording device of some sort. I feel the 2A is in place to allow citizens to defend themselves from government tyranny, but more so in this day and age for personal protection. Having to keep a recording device to ensure our rights are not infringed upon by LE is unfortunate and something I wish my daughter would not have worry about.

Great thoughts, but if you want your daughter to be safe, don't just give her a firearm and a little instruction.

Tell her to never go out alone (but, preferably with a friend who is also armed), tell her not to go to stupid places, with stupid people, doing stupid things.

Get her a vehicle with self-locking doors, and tell her to get assistance at stores with loading her car.

...oh, and tell her never to talk to boys (haha).

Good luck!