Thread: Justice Dept: Zimmerman case under review. Could GZ Be Subject to Federal Charges?

Justice Dept: Zimmerman case under review. Could GZ Be Subject to Federal Charges?

"The statement said that, in the government's words, "experienced federal prosecutors will determine whether the evidence reveals a prosecutable violation."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-14-16-02-34

"A federal hate crime prosecution would be even more difficult because prosecutors would have to show that Zimmerman was motivated by racial animus. Moreover, the federal hate crime statute would also force federal prosecutors to show that Zimmerman’s alleged crime has a sufficient nexus to interstate commerce, though some courts might be satisfied so long as the prosecutor shows that Zimmerman’s gun had, at one point, traveled in interstate commerce.

"I think the Justice Department will decide it isn’t worth making this a federal case. This won’t necessarily mean the end of legal jeopardy for Zimmerman, however. I would not be surprised if Martin’s family soon filed a wrongful death case against him in which the burden of proof would be easier to meet."
    http://www.volokh.com/2013/07/14/cou...deral-charges/

Experienced state prosecutors initially determined that there was not sufficient evidence to charge, then the political prosecutors stepped in (it). Now the political prosecutors as begging a second bite at the rotten apple, ignoring the worms Obama and racism.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-14-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

See my post in thread. Zimmerman NOT Guilty.

The DOJ may seek prosecution under 18 USC section 245/ Federal protected activities.

Clearly a long shot, however with strong civil rights groups and pressure from the white house anything is possible.

The State was handed its head and embarrassed in front of the world.

This may not be over.

Best regards.

CCJ

Banned
    Difficulty in prosecuting and obtaining a conviction does not stop politically motivated prosecutors. For evidence of that, consider the case just ended.

The government is using the prosecution itself to punish those who act in a way counter to the goals of the folks running the government.

Oh, and didn't Obama say that we are a nation of laws and that the jury has spoken? He needs to have a talk with his AG.

the DOJ that has proven to be racial bias in everything they do is trying to see if they can bring racial charges to a case. i think they would want to no matter what.

but i have a case in point. can the family sue Z, i thought the law would be that they can not sue in a self defense case. not sure about the FL law
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Banned
    Well I hope the DOJ reviews it and arrests the DA for something.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    the DOJ that has proven to be racial bias in everything they do is trying to see if they can bring racial charges to a case. i think they would want to no matter what.

but i have a case in point. can the family sue Z, i thought the law would be that they can not sue in a self defense case. not sure about the FL law
    The question for the court would be, does a victorious self defense defendant now acquire immunity from a
    "Wrongful Death Lawsuit"

Not sure about FL law. Be very interested to hear from the FL legal minds on this issue.

Best regards

CCJ
    Last edited by countryclubjoe; 07-14-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    The question for the court would be, does a victorious self defense defendant now acquire immunity from a
    "Wrongful Death Lawsuit"

Not sure about FL law. Be very interested to hear from the FL legal minds on this issue.

Best regards

CCJ
    The other longer running Zimmerman threads have the FL statute that basically says that he is now immune to civil suit, and if the family does try to sue, they will be on the hook for the defense bills.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.