• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LE Agencies asking businesses to post signs saying no weapons/no open carry

Eddie Fulmer

A big Question here. I've been informed that some of the LE agencies here in Alabama, Starting with the ASA(Alabama Sheriff's Association), are starting to encourage businesses to NOT allow weapons. I'm understanding this is even to the point of the agency providing the signs for them. Somewhere I read of this happening elsewhere and a lawsuit was filed. The LE Agencies who participated in this now wish they hadn't. My problem is I can't remember what state this happened in and I'm not able to find it again. Any help would be appreciated on this. The reason this has all come about is the "new" law that goes in effect in Alabama on Aug 1. Some of the Sherriff's power has been removed and it appears they just don't like that. Go figure. Thanks in advance.

I'm not real sure but I think using tax dollars to prevent LAC from exercising their rights may just be looking for a lawsuit. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A big Question here. I've been informed that some of the LE agencies here in Alabama, Starting with the ASA(Alabama Sheriff's Association), are starting to encourage businesses to NOT allow weapons. I'm understanding this is even to the point of the agency providing the signs for them. Somewhere I read of this happening elsewhere and a lawsuit was filed. The LE Agencies who participated in this now wish they hadn't. My problem is I can't remember what state this happened in and I'm not able to find it again. Any help would be appreciated on this. The reason this has all come about is the "new" law that goes in effect in Alabama on Aug 1. Some of the Sherriff's power has been removed and it appears they just don't like that. Go figure. Thanks in advance.

I'm not real sure but I think using tax dollars to prevent LAC from exercising their rights may just be looking for a lawsuit. ;)

Who informed you of such action? Do you have a link?

Don't recall such a thread on OCDO - not to say it didn't happen though.

tletourneau

Search or ask in the Wisconsin forum. It sounds like something the Madison PD was trying some time ago but I'm not sure.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

hrdware

Here in Oklahoma, one of the county sheriffs was doing this. Had people going out and giving businesses signs to put up. Even heard reports they were telling businesses if they didn't hang the signs, the sheriffs department might take its time responding if they responded at all if a gun crime occurred. There was no lawsuit over this and I don't remember what ever happened with it. I think there was enough stink over it, the sheriff stopped doing it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sounds like it is time to go out and work for the election of some new sheriffs to me.

Get involved, know the candidates, campaign & vote.

k4935033.jpg

okboomer

Maybe time to "push back" and organize some open carry meetups at certain businesses? Write the governor. Contact the media? Ducks in a row?

Q-Tip

A few LEAs in Mississippi have been passing out no-guns-allowed signs (after a bill was passed that clarified the definition of concealment and eliminated the apparent ambiguity of OC). There was at least one thread on AR15.com about it. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_57/5...no_firearms_signs_to_local_businesses___.html

It's more than a few. It's happening all over the state. At first, OC clarification passed with only eight congressmen total voting against it. Now, it's been delayed by a Circuit Judge who can't read. It's been a pretty big stink. It's also very disheartening to see so many "good ole country folk" panicking over this because the media and LEA's are so opposed to it. I may be wearing a tin foil hat, but the opposition has been so strong I wonder if out-of-state antis are involved in some way. I do know that Southern Poverty Law Center was at least partially behind the injunction to delay the law. Very frustrating times here.

AJax

Here in Oklahoma, one of the county sheriffs was doing this. Had people going out and giving businesses signs to put up. Even heard reports they were telling businesses if they didn't hang the signs, the sheriffs department might take its time responding if they responded at all if a gun crime occurred. There was no lawsuit over this and I don't remember what ever happened with it. I think there was enough stink over it, the sheriff stopped doing it.

WOW! I'm trying to think of the right word....racket?

Logan 5

Hmmm. A 24 hour gig like Denny's or a major truckstop would be in a great position for this. Hang a sign saying "no open OR concealed weapons allowed...law enforcement included."

If it's good enough for the goose, it's good enough for the gander.

wizzi01

Hmmm. A 24 hour gig like Denny's or a major truckstop would be in a great position for this. Hang a sign saying "no open OR concealed weapons allowed...law enforcement included."

If it's good enough for the goose, it's good enough for the gander.

Remember in East St Louis, Il Denny's kicked out some cops and they were all types of pissed off.

Logan 5

Wah. Guess they're gonna have to install 12 volt coffee decanters in their APCs then. Oh, and a BIG cooler for the donuts.

Donuts. A cop ain't a cop unless they have a donut (having powdered sugar or chocloate on their cheeks qualifies) and a cup of One Eyed Joe in their hands.... :dude:

Last edited:

wizzi01

Sorry Wiz but that was actually in Belleville, the county seat, which is just east of ESL. It was some "old biddy" customer that got her knickers in a knot over some plain-clothed officers with exposed sidearms.
Needless to say, the manager had to do some "brown-nosing" (at corporate's insistance!).

Maybe I remember East St Louis cause they said it was near there. lol

Logan 5

In the end I bet the cops would change their minds about those signs when they find they are no better and no more special than the rest of us.
Myself I find police officers with weapons of any type to be more of a threat to people in general.

You see truckers that carry stun guns and mace. How often do you find videos of truckers beating people up and stunning them and macing them in the process? can't say I ever have seen a video like that. And the same for everyone else.

Glockrunner

This happened in MS recently as a result of the new laws there.

Somewhere I've posted the link to the citing article ..... but it's online still. Article also has a photo of the sigh the police were suggesting be put up.