• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Kroger

WhistlingJack

Earlier today 7/15/13, I patronized the Kroger located at 4,009 Poplar Level Road. Was present for about 15 minutes, trying to find what I was looking for after one of the typical resorting these stores like to do. A Manager came up to me (African-American woman, no name tag, but professional dress) and told me that Firearms were not allowed on the premises and I would have to put it in my car or leave.

I told her no problem, I would be happy to take my business elsewhere, and pointed out that there was no sign posted on the doors. She rudely returned that it was policy in all Kroger stores, and that she would put a sign up post-haste because customers had complained. I inquired further if someone had just complained and she said no, and alluded to complaints having been levied in the past. I pointed out that it seemed more likely to me that she simply had an issue with it, and that I would remove myself from the store. She then inquired if I were law enforcement of some sort while on my way out, and I politely told her that whatever my profession, it is frankly none of her business.

I find it strange because I shop at this Kroger frequently, no employee (many of whom I have conversed with several times about legal carry etc.) ever voiced any problem or concern. I would be contacting Kroger corporate about the issue to establish what their policy actually is, but figured I would inform the members of this board that for the time being it seems that location is not OC friendly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Did you ask the woman her name? Have a recorder running?

In any event Kroger is not anti-gun. Suspect that the woman was a lower level manager (still should have had a name tag) and was confusing employee rules with those applying to the general public/customers. Kroger has a policy of honoring the state laws in which each store is located.

Strongly suggest you carry this up the corporate ladder and nip this BS in the bud.
http://www.thekrogerco.com/contact-us

papa bear

my son works for Kroger and this is not their policy. contact up the line till you get to someone who knows what they are talking about.

one thing i would say to though is make the other person identify themselves. do not just follow someones instruction with out proof that they have the authority

WhistlingJack

Did you ask the woman her name? Have a recorder running?

In any event Kroger is not anti-gun. Suspect that the woman was a lower level manager (still should have had a name tag) and was confusing employee rules with those applying to the general public/customers. Kroger has a policy of honoring the state laws in which each store is located.

Strongly suggest you carry this up the corporate ladder and nip this BS in the bud.
http://www.thekrogerco.com/contact-us

I have already contacted Kroger corporate on the matter, I will make their reply known here once I receive one.

WhistlingJack

my son works for Kroger and this is not their policy. contact up the line till you get to someone who knows what they are talking about.

one thing i would say to though is make the other person identify themselves. do not just follow someones instruction with out proof that they have the authority

Wearing the company uniform (including company shirt), common to managers it is a safe assumption they have the authority. In so far as name, it is my intention to go back at a later date and question another employee who has inquired about OC from me, to determine the identity of the specific individual.

TheRealMcCoy

Yesterday the manager of my Kroger asked me what I was "packing" and we chatted for about 5 minutes. I asked him about policy and he said they did not have a policy against firearms.

DrakeZ07

I shop solely at Kroger, in Mt. Sterling, and always OC, even if its 3am [24hr store], have never had a problem, ever. I've carried [unloaded] in the wine & spirits portion of the store, and again, no problems ever.

I think it's specific to the city or region you're in, Louisville obviously gonna have some anti-gun stores.

FreeInAZ

It was her "payback" for the Zimmerman ruling. "I'll show him!" This is complete gibberish (kroger's does not allow carry). I have carried in kroger's & their offspring west of the missippi fry's with no issue. Their policy has always been they follow state law.

Big Daddy XD

Ashland Kroger's is very of friendly. I oc there pretty much 5-6 times a week. Spoke with numerous store employees as well as managers. Never so much as a second glance at my firearm. Seems to me like she has some personal issues.

davidmcbeth

Banned
here is how I handle workers for a publicly traded company:

I tell them I own 20,000 shares of stock and he/she better change his attitude in 2 seconds. Oddly enough, they always change their attitude.

WhistlingJack

Minor Update

Kroger got back to me surprisingly quick on the issue, I went in this morning and spoke with a store manager, who arranged for me to speak to a Loss Prevention Agent about the incident. (I learned from the store-manager that from the employee's dress they were a Dept. Manager, but being on different shifts she would have to inquire to know exactly who it was based upon the detailed description I gave.) With the LP Agent I explained what happened, the rather rude treatment by the employee and the fact she approached me with no nametag (and that I suspect she removed it before speaking with me so that I would not know her name).

The LP agent did not dispute the employee was one of theirs. She affirmed the company's right to ask me to leave or put the firearm in my car. I told her I have the utmost respect for the company's right to do so even if I don't like it, (private property rights are just as sacred as any other right) but that does not address the issue of the treatment I received by the employee. Specifically lying to me that someone had complained, then backtracking on the statement when I questioned her if someone had in fact complained. Then telling me that it was the corporate policy before rudely telling me to leave. The LP agent then stated that she would contact the store about the incident. She carefully avoided giving an affirmative yes or no as to whether or not OCing will be acceptable at that location in the future, and stated she would contact me later after having dealt with the store.

If there are any noteworthy updates in the future I will post them, but for the time being it seems OCing in that location is unwise.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
but for the time being it seems OCing in that location is unwise.
How so?

Most all of us here understand the corporate policy of honoring each state's laws and have had no negative incident, nor for that matter have even heard of another one.

It's too far for me to drive or else I would be there this afternoon - OCing while shopping, expecting to be treated like the legal, responsible person I am.

Big Daddy XD

Minor Update

Kroger got back to me surprisingly quick on the issue, I went in this morning and spoke with a store manager, who arranged for me to speak to a Loss Prevention Agent about the incident. (I learned from the store-manager that from the employee's dress they were a Dept. Manager, but being on different shifts she would have to inquire to know exactly who it was based upon the detailed description I gave.) With the LP Agent I explained what happened, the rather rude treatment by the employee and the fact she approached me with no nametag (and that I suspect she removed it before speaking with me so that I would not know her name).

The LP agent did not dispute the employee was one of theirs. She affirmed the company's right to ask me to leave or put the firearm in my car. I told her I have the utmost respect for the company's right to do so even if I don't like it, (private property rights are just as sacred as any other right) but that does not address the issue of the treatment I received by the employee. Specifically lying to me that someone had complained, then backtracking on the statement when I questioned her if someone had in fact complained. Then telling me that it was the corporate policy before rudely telling me to leave. The LP agent then stated that she would contact the store about the incident. She carefully avoided giving an affirmative yes or no as to whether or not OCing will be acceptable at that location in the future, and stated she would contact me later after having dealt with the store.

If there are any noteworthy updates in the future I will post them, but for the time being it seems OCing in that location is unwise.

What does a loss prevention officer have to do with company policy on firearms? You were ocing not stealing. Sounds like they put you in contact with someone who can't help you.

Did you tell the loss prevention agent while they have every right to ask you to leave that no employee has the right to ask you to leave because of their personal feelings when they are going against company policy?

WhistlingJack

How so?

Most all of us here understand the corporate policy of honoring each state's laws and have had no negative incident, nor for that matter have even heard of another one.

It's too far for me to drive or else I would be there this afternoon - OCing while shopping, expecting to be treated like the legal, responsible person I am.

And you know what, you can do that. As for me I have already been dismissed from the building by a member of the management staff and told firearms are not allowed. I have not be told by anyone higher up (not the store manager or anyone else) anything to contradict, nor given any assurance that it will not happen again in the future. So for me it is a no go because if I go back while OC'ing and that same employee decides to call the cops on me, who do you think the LEO's are going to believe is correct about the store policy?

For now I simply wanted to make the board aware that there is an as-yet unresolved issue at that location, and advise that OCing there has a good possibility of being unwelcome until a resolution to the matter at hand comes.

Last edited:

WhistlingJack

What does a loss prevention officer have to do with company policy on firearms? You were ocing not stealing. Sounds like they put you in contact with someone who can't help you.

Did you tell the loss prevention agent while they have every right to ask you to leave that no employee has the right to ask you to leave because of their personal feelings when they are going against company policy?

As stated she refused to give an affirmative yes or no on whether or not carrying is in fact allowed on their premises. Makes it kind of hard to say the employee was going against policy when no direct answer on policy would be given.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Minor Update

Why are you "respecting their rights" when they don't care about yours?

Well, you played the game and now you need to decide if you wish to go back.

Get confronted again? Follow my previously posted recommended method of dealing with such a low level employee.

I don't even have trouble with managers, let alone min. wage employees.

Play nice and lose or be a ******** and win .. up to you entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why are you "respecting their rights" when they don't care about yours?

Well, you played the game and now you need to decide if you wish to go back.

Get confronted again? Follow my previously posted recommended method of dealing with such a low level employee.

I don't even have trouble with managers, let alone min. wage employees.

Play nice and lose or be a ******** and win .. up to you entirely.
Don't see it that way at all - one there was no 'they." There was one errant employee.

Standard recommended procedure would have likely cleared this up at the inception: Gotten the employee's name and position, gone directly to the MOD (manager on duty) and solved the problem, hopefully with a recorder running. Everyone goes through learning experiences - no need to be harsh on our guy.

To my knowledge no one has been advised to not return, so proceed normally.

KBCraig

What does a loss prevention officer have to do with company policy on firearms?

Loss Prevention used to be called "security". In many states anyone called "security" must be licensed and wear a uniform, even if unarmed; LP doesn't want either.

In the corporate heirarchy, LP still falls under security, and --right or wrong-- store management refers all security-related issues to LP.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Kroger's phone lines were nearly melted down by the publication of an anti-gun stance a few years ago. Calls were received nationwide - and the policy changed.

I wonder if Kroger needs a re-do?

Looking forward to the OP's next update.