• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying question?

OneForAll

My family has a family reunion every year at the Highland Recreation state park in Highland, MI. This year the person who is hosting it, and rented the pavilion expressed to me that if I were to show up carrying that they would contact DNR and the police to have me removed from the festivities. Is this legal??? If so, I guess I will be here at home safe while they enjoy themselves.

TheQ

The understanding I have received from various lawyers (of our persuasion) is that a private party who rents public property may exhibit control over it, up to and including banning firearms.

A better question to ask is: would you wish to cause drama at your family reunion?

What's more important to you? The family peace or your right to carry openly in a given day/place?

That answer lies only within you.

OneForAll

A better question to ask is: would you wish to cause drama at your family reunion?

What's more important to you? The family peace or your right to carry openly in a given day/place?

Thank you for the response. The thing is this person is one of four or five that have the problem. The rest of the family could care less as they did a year ago. Someone else organized the day and did not care, this person vowed to put a stop to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1245A Defender

Huh???

[SIZE=5 said:
TheQ;1961599]The understanding I have received from various lawyers (of our persuasion) is that a private party who rents public property may exhibit control over it, up to and including banning firearms
[SIZE=5 said:
[/SIZE]

The, I cant bold the first line,,, is just not true!!. It wasn't true in Royal Oak, at Arts Beat N Eats, It isn't true in Seattle, at the Hemp fest, and it isn't true at some other places that I cant remember, but was proven it isn't true at either! Preemption,,, really means something!!!

Last edited:

TheQ

Thank you for the response. The thing is this person is one of four or five that have the problem. The rest of the family could care less as they did a year ago. Someone else organized the day and did not care, this person vowed to put a stop to it.

Maybe you could organize the next reunion on your terms?

Last edited:

TheQ

The, I cant bold the first line,,, is just not true!!. It wasn't true in Royal Oak, at Arts Beat N Eats, It isn't true in Seattle, at the Hemp fest, and it isn't true at some other places that I cant remember, but was proven it isn't true at either! Preemption,,, really means something!!!

Arts Beats and Eats never even went to court. It set zero precedence in law. The fact of the matter is, you can believe how you choose. The fact is your opinion means as little as mine or anyone else's -- unless men in black moo-moo robes agree with it. I will relay the information that was given to me by our learned 2A barrister brother.

I suppose you believe the Constitution mean something too? If that is so, why hasn't the Constitution stopped people from trampling all over it?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain – that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.

~ Lysander Spooner

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

TheQ said:

OneForAll said:

Tough spot to be in. If it were me I'd pay a younger member of the family to recruit a "punk.d" team & stage a fake robbery ...JUST KIDDING DO NOT DO IT. Respect needs to go both ways in your family. Clearly - currently it doesn't with some members. :uhoh:

kubel

They rented the pavilion, not the entire park. Just don't go under the pavilion. ;)

Or just show up, stuff your face with their food real quick, say hi, say bye, and leave before drama has a chance to unfold.

casper

What a great family member. He should be proud. Calling the police and DNR on a member of his family, because he doesn't agree with your view, should make him very popular with the rest of the family. We all have sheeple in our relation though. I would just not go.

Tucker6900

What a great family member. He should be proud. Calling the police and DNR on a member of his family, because he doesn't agree with your view, should make him very popular with the rest of the family. We all have sheeple in our relation though. I would just not go.

I was thinking the same thing. That is F'd up. Anywho...

To expand on what Q said, it is my understanding that if private property is leased by another, then their rules apply. Public property remains public. I dont have case law to support this, as like I said, this is just the way I understand it.

My advice to the OP, talk with this "family" member. See what their deal is. But as one other poster said, if they only rented the pavilion, then bring a chair. Or, even better...Rent your own pavilion, and make it more fun than his. LOL

OneForAll

Honestly, I am going this route, I am not attending. Other have a heads up on this matter now and encouraged me to stay behind this time. What they are hoping is by conspiring with the rest of the family about this individual and the few others power trip. May be they will feel unease because everyone is passing around why I was not able to attend. What is funny is one of the relatives complaining owns more guns than I do and has their CPL. Because of this, they think they have it covered and there is no need for anymore protection.

Maverick9

I see lots of room for hilarity in this reunion.

Call the guy who objects. Tell him you are going to exercise your 2A rights. Send him a pdf on 'preemption' and tell him you'll sue his arse for harassment if he calls cops on you for OC-ing (stay outside the pavillion if you wish).

Have a video and your recorder running.

Perhaps, show up, but:
1. Have an empty holster; or
2. Have a toy gun OC-ed; or
3. Have your wife/girlfriend OC. Mock the guy's dick size if he calls on or tries to arrest her.

Show up but stay in your car (research carry laws in your state); have others who agree with your stance raid the food and bring it to you. Send a mocking text to the organizer, but append 'just kidding, broseph'.

Keep it full of humor, but don't be too pushy, don't make an enemy, organize it yourself next year and make carrying of at least a toygun mandatory.

Good luck. let us know.

OneForAll

I see lots of room for hilarity in this reunion.

Call the guy who objects. Tell him you are going to exercise your 2A rights. Send him a pdf on 'preemption' and tell him you'll sue his arse for harassment if he calls cops on you for OC-ing (stay outside the pavillion if you wish).

Have a video and your recorder running.

Perhaps, show up, but:
1. Have an empty holster; or
2. Have a toy gun OC-ed; or
3. Have your wife/girlfriend OC. Mock the guy's dick size if he calls on or tries to arrest her.

Show up but stay in your car (research carry laws in your state); have others who agree with your stance raid the food and bring it to you. Send a mocking text to the organizer, but append 'just kidding, broseph'.

Keep it full of humor, but don't be too pushy, don't make an enemy, organize it yourself next year and make carrying of at least a toygun mandatory.

Good luck. let us know.

LMAO.... For the record, it is a female that is against open carry. Thinks you should conceal at all times.

Last edited:

Maverick9

LMAO.... For the record, it is a females that is against open carry. Thinks you should conceal at all times.

Mea culpa...ok, mock her hair style, then.

(Any chance the party is clothing optional?)

TheQ

To expand on what Q said, it is my understanding that if private property is leased by another, then their rules apply. Public property remains public. I dont have case law to support this, as like I said, this is just the way I understand it.

There is no case law on it. That's the problem.

b0neZ

I do not think a family reunion is the best time for clothing to be optional... lol

About 25 or so years ago, one of my family members that actually has a sense of humor mentioned they were going to organize the next reunion at a Nudist Colony. Even though most of the family knew they were joking, a couple of my cousins with sticks up their backsides threatened to sue him if he went through with it. They couldn't say what the charges would be, though.

On the toy gun idea: be careful with that. Firearms are covered under laws, statutes, BoR, etc. Toys are not, and some localities may have codes against it. Advise checking local laws before doing this.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Honestly, I am going this route, I am not attending. Other have a heads up on this matter now and encouraged me to stay behind this time. What they are hoping is by conspiring with the rest of the family about this individual and the few others power trip. May be they will feel unease because everyone is passing around why I was not able to attend. What is funny is one of the relatives complaining owns more guns than I do and has their CPL. Because of this, they think they have it covered and there is no need for anymore protection.

I have to say "bravo!" That's what I'd have done. And, I'd make sure that all the other family members knew why I wasn't there.

Maverick9

About 25 or so years ago, one of my family members that actually has a sense of humor mentioned they were going to organize the next reunion at a Nudist Colony. Even though most of the family knew they were joking, a couple of my cousins with sticks up their backsides threatened to sue him if he went through with it. They couldn't say what the charges would be, though.

On the toy gun idea: be careful with that. Firearms are covered under laws, statutes, BoR, etc. Toys are not, and some localities may have codes against it. Advise checking local laws before doing this.

Thanks for keeping with the spirit of playful disobedience and humor on this subject. I'm really just kidding around but we all sometimes get goofy when trying to placate those with silly ideas that are anti 2A and wish we could expose them for the frippery they are. Guns jumping from holsters, cats and dogs sleeping together, women knowing what they want(*), you know.

*(apologies to MKeGal)

Last edited: