• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying question?

B

Bikenut

I would send each and every family member a note ....

And that note would emphasize that one certain member of the family is attempting to hold the entire reunion hostage and cause conflict according to their own personal beliefs while disregarding the beliefs of not only me... but of every other family member who might not agree with her.

I would emphasize that my disagreement with the "rules" of the reunion aren't so much about firearms or rights... but is entirely about one member of the family thinking they have the power to RULE over the entire family just because they organized the event/rented the pavilion.

I would make every effort possible to show that this entire thing isn't really about firearms but is actually about this person wanting to control............ the family.

And my note would include a notice that I have rented another pavilion in the same park and invite any and all family members who agree with me to join me there.

In the end... I would know which members of the family I wanted to associate with in the future... and which one's to ignore.

But then... I'm odd because I don't consider that just because someone is a family member that automatically means they are someone I should give a crap about.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneForAll

I figure I am sitting this one out, but thank you for input... I have 4 kids including a 5 week old baby girl I am not dragging into this mess. Especially when it involves a 40 minute trip to even get there just to be sent home because of a few anti's.

B

Bikenut

I figure I am sitting this one out, but thank you for input... I have 4 kids including a 5 week old baby girl I am not dragging into this mess. Especially when it involves a 40 minute trip to even get there just to be sent home because of a few anti's.

Of course it is your decision... but if you don't address this in some way...

The anti's win.

If you are Ok with that then...

OneForAll

The anti's win.

In a previous post I stated that the good side of my family is taking care of this matter for me. There is already talk in the air that this anti is not going to be allowed to host another one because of the issue she is causing. After everything is said and done, I plan on posting the end result of this non-sense.

TheQ

but if you don't address this in some way...

The anti's win.

And a kitten will die! I hope it's not my new kitten.

I'm not sure it's worth the family strife. That's up to the OP alone to decide. Set up the reunion yourself next year.

I know I've been to in-laws houses for a reunion who have asked me to not carry.

B

Bikenut

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bikenut

but if you don't address this in some way...

The anti's win.

And a kitten will die! I hope it's not my new kitten.

I'm not sure it's worth the family strife. That's up to the OP alone to decide. Set up the reunion yourself next year.

I know I've been to in-laws houses for a reunion who have asked me to not carry.
If you are going to quote me then kindly quote my post in it's entirety (post #24) so as to show that I also said it was up to the OP to decide.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bikenut

The anti's win.

OneForAll

Did what other family members said, and what I felt was right.....I did not attend the reunion, back fire! Half the family believes I am self centered and care more about my gun then family, or that I am breaking the law by going to the state park, while open carrying. I should of just went and dealt with any drama I might have incountered.

FreeInAZ

Maybe you should direct them to the law and the lack of one in regards to OC? As for the self centered part ask them how choosing to sit out the fun so the fudd wouldn't get a tizzy fit going is selfish? No dig meant but your family sounds like a bunch of losers. :(

OneForAll

Personally, none taken. My own mother says it is illegal because she asked a cop. I know, I know....., do not ask the cops. Personally, I tried to show her the law. She wanted no part of it.* I kinda give, most of my family is pro conceal carry. They do not care at all for open carry, the rallys, or anything else WE do. Some of these believe it singles you out all the way to your walking around with your finger out.

FreeInAZ

I bet they support the idea of - if you have a DL you can no longer walk anywhere too. :p

Good thing the founding father's weren't like them or it would have gone something like this....the red coats are coming, "no worries, if we just hide our firearms, and do as we're told, everthing will be fine..." We'd still be paying the King's tax on everything and be subjects under his boots...oh wait....never mind... Different Kings, same old crap..... :(

OneForAll

I bet they support the idea of - if you have a DL you can no longer walk anywhere too. :p

Good thing the founding father's weren't like them or it would have gone something like this....the red coats are coming, "no worries, if we just hide our firearms, and do as we're told, everthing will be fine..." We'd still be paying the King's tax on everything and be subjects under his boots...oh wait....never mind... Different Kings, same old crap..... :(

Priceless, I have some family that is gun smart. For example, my aunt does not own a gun or care much for shooting. But she has her CPL in case she needs to use her husbands or he leaves it in the car to run into a store. She does not care about open carry. I wish all my family was alright with it.

B

Bikenut

Did what other family members said, and what I felt was right.....I did not attend the reunion, back fire! Half the family believes I am self centered and care more about my gun then family, or that I am breaking the law by going to the state park, while open carrying. I should of just went and dealt with any drama I might have incountered.
In my opinion...

You held to your beliefs and principles. That is quite often the hard way to go because the easy way is to cave in to the peer pressure just to please everyone and "get along".

And you mentioned that some of your family members thought you were being "self centered"? The people who are self centered are the people who think everyone should live according to what they want things to be.. and try to shame others into "going along to get along" (Translation: get along with them). I suspect there were one or two folks, or more, who admired you for taking a stand... but didn't have the courage to do it themselves.

As for all the misinformation and ignorance, including the intentional and willful refusal to learn, about the law? Your family is merely a microcosm of society in general and one of the reasons some people open carry is to educate folks by breaking through that ignorance and countering the misinformation. It's just that some folks are harder to reach than others.

->note: the word "ignorance" is used to denote the lack of knowledge and is not an insult.<-

OneForAll

How should one feel when your family ignores you because of you standing firm on decision you made? (In regards to this thread)

B

Bikenut

How should one feel when your family ignores you because of you standing firm on decision you made? (In regards to this thread)
I would not presume to tell you (or anyone) how to "feel" in this kind of situation but I can say that I personally would have mixed feelings because...

I would be sad that some members of my family are closed minded and selfishly expect me to set aside my principles and bow to what they think I should do...

I would take comfort in knowing who in the family supports my decision...

And I would be proud of myself for standing firm upon my beliefs and having the courage to put those beliefs into actual action.

I would also be grateful because now I know who in the family I consider worthy of associating with... and who isn't worth bothering with. After all, when we go through life we meet people we would like to have as friends and we meet people we would prefer to not hang around with.... why would it be any different just because those people happen to be family members?

But... that is just me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only person(s) that can cause you pain are those close enough that you would otherwise consider them a friend and for whom you have respect. People that are opposed to your core beliefs are not your friend. Unfortunately, these are sometimes family members. Their attitudes/actions are what caused the rift, not yours.

First be true unto yourself = honor, loyalty to one's own standards, is a simple concept. I would not lower my standards to please someone that would harm me or allow such harm.

Be proud of your good qualities - they define who you are.

Mosnar87

The only person(s) that can cause you pain are those close enough that you would otherwise consider them a friend and for whom you have respect. People that are opposed to your core beliefs are not your friend. Unfortunately, these are sometimes family members. Their attitudes/actions are what caused the rift, not yours.

First be true unto yourself = honor, loyalty to one's own standards, is a simple concept. I would not lower my standards to please someone that would harm me or allow such harm.

Be proud of your good qualities - they define who you are.

While I do agree with your sentiments, I have to say this...

HOLY NECROPOST, BATMAN!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy IIIs using Tapatalk 2.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I do agree with your sentiments, I have to say this...

HOLY NECROPOST, BATMAN!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy IIIs using Tapatalk 2.

True - my bad for not catching that.

Nevertheless, maybe another family gathering is being planned and our thoughts can be put to good use. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Who cares, it was a good post any way. ;) I've seen far too many necroposts that were just plain, not needed. In the case of Grapeshot's, I think it was perfect, even if it was a little late in the game. :)