• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Free School Zone act questions

catastrophic_success

Gun Free School Zone act questions
So I am 19 years old, and can legally posses and open carry a handgun in my state ( Oregon ) but given how I am under the age of 21 I do not have a CHL

my main problem is that I am sort of "barricaded' by school zones, and things that I am not sure about. There are a few obvious school zones around me, But there are a few other things that pop up on google earth when I filter by "Schools"

my first question is does local law enforcement ever even enforce this? How could they? its not like they can have an officer with a giant measuring tape measure the exact distance from me to a school zone.

And second. I am not required to present ID if asked just for open carrying. If I choose not to identify myself they would have no way of knowing if I had a CHL or not.

Another concern is that if I am stopped and somehow identified. That the officer might think you have to be 21 to open carry in oregon ( false ) And would falsely arrest me. I've asked officers before ( understanding that they are not a valid source of info ) as a test to see what they said. Of course the officer I spoke to said you had to be 21 to carry openly.

Whats the deal with this?

Mattimusmaximus

Currently at work.. But to the best of my knowledge you just can't carry on school property. You can own and carry a gun at the age of 18 no matter hand gun or long gun (just make sure it's registered in your name) and don't give them your IID you haven't done anything wrong there are no grounds for you to give it over

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

catastrophic_success

Currently at work.. But to the best of my knowledge you just can't carry on school property. You can own and carry a gun at the age of 18 no matter hand gun or long gun (just make sure it's registered in your name) and don't give them your IID you haven't done anything wrong there are no grounds for you to give it over

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Thanks. I got my XDs in a private transaction. So if anyone its "registered" to its previous owner. All I have is a "For Record" private gun sales sheet,

Mattimusmaximus

I would if you wanted to call Washington county tell them you obtained a gun in a private sale (don't tell them what kind of gun unless asked) or call and inquire about how to do so

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

JohnM15A

You are talking about a federal law. Without the CHL you cannot come closer than 1,000' of school property. Does OR enforce the federal law? Probably not but I would not advise you to break a federal law. There a some exceptions like private property. Our home in VA is completely enveloped inside that 1,000' of a school property but I can legally carry a sidearm on my property but to leave my property, say walk on the sidewalk in front of my house then I will need a CHP (VA) which I have. Having a CHL has other benefits also. You are also a target because you are young so be extra careful. BTW, if the police confront you and they have a legit reason to stop and ID you they can. The legal "legit" reason can be debated by the lawyers...

Jeff. State

Banned
Matt: What's with all the "registration" talk????????

No such thing.

catastrophic_success: I wouldn't call anyone "notifying" them of what you possess. Seriously, I am rather shocked someone on this forum would even think of suggesting it.:confused:

hermannr

The federal GFZ garbage has only been enforced as an "add on" to some other federal crime (such as drug dealing).

Local officers do not enforce federal law, just like federal LEOs do not enforce local laws. If a local LEO sees something that is in violation of a federal law, that they know is a violation, they will normally contact a federal LEO and have them deal with it. Federal Law is not part of their jurisdiction

The original version of this law went to court and lost. The general feeling is that the feds do not want to have this version tested in court (as a sole charge0 and have it thrown out like the original was.

Do not take this as advice, only FYI. OK?

OH yes, and as an added precaution...look at the exceptions written into in the law "we-the-people" posted the link.

Last edited:

Mattimusmaximus

Matt: What's with all the "registration" talk????????

No such thing.

catastrophic_success: I wouldn't call anyone "notifying" them of what you possess. Seriously, I am rather shocked someone on this forum would even think of suggesting it.:confused:

I have been reeducated!!!

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-