Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: My wake up call.

  1. #1
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279

    My wake up call.

    This morning my wife woke me up with the phone, I woke and said good morning of course. On the phone was my apartment manager asking me if I owned a gun? We already spoke on this matter before and wondering why she forgot, I reminded her yes I do own and carry a gun daily. She tried informing me that I was not allowed to possess a firearm on the premises because it was a state tax property. I told her that I am legally allowed to own and possess a firearm in and around my rented property and reminded her that others in her neighborhood watch program who live here also do the same. After talking to her in the office she retracted her statement about not being allowed to have guns on the property and explained how this matter came about.

    She had a message on her office machine about me open carrying yesterday, and then about an hour after being in the office the reporting tenant showed up. The know it all tenant that had the complaint tried informing her that this property is state tax property and because of which no tenant can carry a firearm on the premises. Then tried saying because I was carrying a firearm on my hip where it was visible, I was brandishing. After she spoke with her manager, she was informed that there was nothing against firearms on or around the property. I informed her as well that in Michigan, open carry is legal. She thanked me for coming in to talk with her.

    I know who the tenant is just because of the look they gave me yesterday about the gun. I am expecting a strong police presence this afternoon after this genius realizes the apartment manager is doing nothing to stop me from exercising my right to keep and bear arms.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 07-16-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error

  2. #2
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holland, MI.
    Posts
    266
    Baaaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaaaa. Sheeple.

  3. #3
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    This morning my wife woke me up with the phone, I woke and said good morning of course. On the phone was my apartment manager asking me if I owned a gun? We already spoke on this matter before and wondering why she forgot, I reminded her yes I do own and carry a gun daily. She tried informing me that I was not allowed to possess a firearm on the premises because it was a state tax property. I told her that I am legally allowed to own and possess a firearm in and around my rented property and reminded her that others in her neighborhood watch program who live here also do the same. After talking to her in the office she retracted her statement about not being allowed to have guns on the property and explained how this matter came about.

    She had a message on her office machine about me open carrying yesterday, and then about an hour after being in the office the reporting tenant showed up. The know it all tenant that had the complaint tried informing her that this property is state tax property and because of which no tenant can carry a firearm on the premises. Then tried saying because I was carrying a firearm on my hip where it was visible, I was brandishing. After she spoke with her manager, she was informed that there was nothing against firearms on or around the property. I informed her as well that in Michigan, open carry is legal. She thanked me for coming in to talk with her.

    I know who the tenant is just because of the look they gave me yesterday about the gun. I am expecting a strong police presence this afternoon after this genius realizes the apartment manager is doing nothing to stop me from exercising my right to keep and bear arms.
    Maybe an OC yard party or something.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  4. #4
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: My wake up call.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Maybe an OC yard party or something.
    That's the ticket! Wives, friends, etc...all obeying the law, enjoying themselves while OCing... imagine that.
    Chips, dips & 45's on hips ...

    ETA - why is a police response expected? If I called and complained that people were wearing shoes in your complex would they roll SWAT? Afterall a well thrown clog could kill someone right? My point - wearing a pistol & shoes are equally legal in MI. Confused .... ???
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-16-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #5
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    My immediate neighbors and I talked today and we have had a problem with this neighbor before. It started last fall with a parking issue. Which was ultimately settled with them receiving a violation for not parking according to how the lease describes. Since then, they will not interact with others in the community or allow their children out to play with mine or anyone else that lives in the immediate area. Now these people have been watching me through their window all day and it is not hard to notice them looking directly at my hip. I swear they are waiting to see my pistol so they can call the cops. Which, what ever management knows and does not care. And yes I have had my recorder on all day, I wish it was video too though.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    ...Chips, dips & 45's on hips ...
    Nice!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    276
    Good job kid. Keep it up. Thanks for standing up.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    That's the ticket! Wives, friends, etc...all obeying the law, enjoying themselves while OCing... imagine that.
    Chips, dips & 45's on hips ...

    ETA - why is a police response expected? If I called and complained that people were wearing shoes in your complex would they roll SWAT? Afterall a well thrown clog could kill someone right? My point - wearing a pistol & shoes are equally legal in MI. Confused .... ???
    A poet with a pistol in our midst. OUTSTANDING.

    CCJ

  9. #9
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by AAMitch View Post
    Good job kid. Keep it up. Thanks for standing up.
    Thank you for comment, wish I was still a kid though. I have four of my own 7, 5, 3, and 5 weeks old. I carry when ever they are outside and this neighbor does not like it so their kids are not allowed to play outside with mine even though they are the same age. I guess they think I am a bad father because I carry a gun in front of kids. The looks I have got today, priceless and no police came by. Manager even stoped on her way home and said hi.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  10. #10
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    I guess I do not have to worry about my original post in this thread anymore. I stepped outside for a smoke today and the cops were talking to my neighbors. During this time the manager of the complex, a Davison police officer, and around eight other tenants seen my pistol on my hip and nothing was said. I was not involved so I kept to my self and returned inside after my cigarette.
    Last edited by OneForAll; 07-23-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  11. #11
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: My wake up call.

    This seems strange. Do Davison police respond to all calls about LEGAL activity? Example - If I called about a woman carrying a very large purse...they send an officer out and talk to her neighbors...never know I guess she could have Jimmy Hoffa in it...??? Strange times indeed.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  12. #12
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    This seems strange. Do Davison police respond to all calls about LEGAL activity? Example - If I called about a woman carrying a very large purse...they send an officer out and talk to her neighbors...never know I guess she could have Jimmy Hoffa in it...??? Strange times indeed.
    I'm not sure but I believe the police were there for something unrelated to the OPs openly carried pistol.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

  13. #13
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: My wake up call.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I'm not sure but I believe the police were there for something unrelated to the OPs openly carried pistol.

    Bronson
    Hope so, it just seemed odd they were at they at the neighbors house who had the issue with all for one. Then they went to others? We won't know until we hear more. My point was (round about) police have no business responding to legal OC. Maybe they went to inform them that legal OC is just that.... we just....don't know. ???

    Something tells me that fishing was the objective. Hope strong STAINLESS hooks were not used.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    The police where hear about a kid who threw a ball at the neighbors car. Different neighbor than the one who the original post was about. I am sure that they have been informed that I am aloud to carry my firearm. Sorry, probably should of been more clear.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  15. #15
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: My wake up call.

    Cool - glad it was not about you. Hope you are doing well. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest you guys escape MI and become refugees like Me here in AZ. Life is much easier when it comes to carry here. Hell in cooler times of the year I've been known to OC twin 45's & a foot long bowie knife.... no one bats an eye..(except for the commiefornian's & they don't count . ).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  16. #16
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Cool - glad it was not about you. Hope you are doing well. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest you guys escape MI and become refugees like Me here in AZ. Life is much easier when it comes to carry here. Hell in cooler times of the year I've been known to OC twin 45's & a foot long bowie knife.... no one bats an eye..(except for the commiefornian's & they don't count . ).
    Although I'm not from Michigan originally, I like it here. I've been out west, well, as far as Las Vegas. It's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.

    Again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who'd love it out there. As for the carry situation here, it's getting better. Has been getting for a while now. At least, in most places here in Michigan.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    I guess I do not have to worry about my original post in this thread anymore. I stepped outside for a smoke today and the cops were talking to my neighbors. During this time the manager of the complex, a Davison police officer, and around eight other tenants seen my pistol on my hip and nothing was said. I was not involved so I kept to my self and returned inside after my cigarette.
    You should have yelled to the cops "leave my meth dealer alone!" Your neighbor would have appreciated that I think.

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: My wake up call.

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Cool - glad it was not about you. Hope you are doing well. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest you guys escape MI and become refugees like Me here in AZ. Life is much easier when it comes to carry here. Hell in cooler times of the year I've been known to OC twin 45's & a foot long bowie knife.... no one bats an eye..(except for the commiefornian's & they don't count . ).
    I would were it not for the highly probable 40k/yr pay cut I'd have, AZ's total disregard for the 4th amendment, and tiny critters that can ruin an otherwise enjoyable time hiking or camping. LOL
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Although I'm not from Michigan originally, I like it here. I've been out west, well, as far as Las Vegas. It's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.

    Again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who'd love it out there. As for the carry situation here, it's getting better. Has been getting for a while now. At least, in most places here in Michigan.
    Michigan is not considered the most friendly gun rights state by many, but from my own experience and comparing to gun laws of other states, I shall say that Michigan is actually pretty good. This is especially true for open carry with CPL. There are very few restrictions where one cannot OC in Michigan with CPL. I think we could be one of the best in the country in that respect. But, I wish we can cary loaded long guns in the car and have a right to keep a firearm in the car at place of employment.

  20. #20
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    Michigan is not considered the most friendly gun rights state by many, but from my own experience and comparing to gun laws of other states, I shall say that Michigan is actually pretty good. This is especially true for open carry with CPL. There are very few restrictions where one cannot OC in Michigan with CPL. I think we could be one of the best in the country in that respect. But, I wish we can cary loaded long guns in the car and have a right to keep a firearm in the car at place of employment.
    Good post...
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

  21. #21
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: My wake up call.

    MI has many good gun laws most benefit CPL holders. In a "perfect world" no gun laws other than the 2A would be needed. All laws that are contrary by Feds or States are unconstitutional in application. Being from MI & now based in AZ I can see the cracks in both states laws. A hybrid of both would be great. Here in AZ millions enjoy what less then 400,000 can in MI without a permit. Yet we cannot carry in municpal buildings ... the truth is gun laws are liberty control laws. Or better put, the ultimate civil rights violation.

    Tell someone who is law-abiding they can't protect themselves, you make them beholding to the "authorities" for said protection. Then by the same token you tell them "the authorities have no duty to protect you." See how that works? You must depend on us, but we are not responsible for you...NICE! Control is the name of the game and people who "think" you (big bro) are needed, are the easiest to control. A well armed man is hard to scare, a empty handed man is easy to scare, bully and force to do your bidding.

    I know many here know this, but some may not have thought about it in this way. Stay safe and strong people.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  22. #22
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by sasha601 View Post
    Michigan is not considered the most friendly gun rights state by many, but from my own experience and comparing to gun laws of other states, I shall say that Michigan is actually pretty good. This is especially true for open carry with CPL. There are very few restrictions where one cannot OC in Michigan with CPL. I think we could be one of the best in the country in that respect. But, I wish we can cary loaded long guns in the car and have a right to keep a firearm in the car at place of employment.
    Don't forget that Michigan's license (and one other state's) is accepted for CC in more states than other state's license. Even though I rarely travel, when I do it is great to usually be able to bring along some "insurance".

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Michigan Accept.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	10661 snapshot from: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/michigan.pdf
    Last edited by DrTodd; 07-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    MI has many good gun laws most benefit CPL holders. In a "perfect world" no gun laws other than the 2A would be needed. All laws that are contrary by Feds or States are unconstitutional in application. Being from MI & now based in AZ I can see the cracks in both states laws. A hybrid of both would be great. Here in AZ millions enjoy what less then 400,000 can in MI without a permit. Yet we cannot carry in municpal buildings ... the truth is gun laws are liberty control laws. Or better put, the ultimate civil rights violation.

    Tell someone who is law-abiding they can't protect themselves, you make them beholding to the "authorities" for said protection. Then by the same token you tell them "the authorities have no duty to protect you." See how that works? You must depend on us, but we are not responsible for you...NICE! Control is the name of the game and people who "think" you (big bro) are needed, are the easiest to control. A well armed man is hard to scare, a empty handed man is easy to scare, bully and force to do your bidding.

    I know many here know this, but some may not have thought about it in this way. Stay safe and strong people.
    Something to consider...

    Quotations from Mao Tse Tung

    5. War and Peace
    -snip-

    Every Communist must grasp the truth; "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
    "Problems of War and Strategy" (November 6, 1938), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 224.

    The term "tyrant" is generally reserved for dictators and the like who "dominate and control" multitudes of people yet the term "tyrant" can also be used to describe an ordinary garden variety criminal since the goal is the same.... to "dominate and control".

    So power does come out of the barrel of a gun... the power to dominate and control... but also the power to resist being dominated and controlled in order to be free.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    ...A well armed man is hard to scare, a empty handed man is easy to scare, bully and force to do your bidding...
    There are only two ways to deal with a person, Reason or Force

  25. #25
    Regular Member OneForAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Davison
    Posts
    279
    Can my apartment manager tell my guest that they can not carry their firearms, while visiting?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

    Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •