• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My wake up call.

OneForAll

This morning my wife woke me up with the phone, I woke and said good morning of course. On the phone was my apartment manager asking me if I owned a gun? We already spoke on this matter before and wondering why she forgot, I reminded her yes I do own and carry a gun daily. She tried informing me that I was not allowed to possess a firearm on the premises because it was a state tax property. I told her that I am legally allowed to own and possess a firearm in and around my rented property and reminded her that others in her neighborhood watch program who live here also do the same. After talking to her in the office she retracted her statement about not being allowed to have guns on the property and explained how this matter came about.

She had a message on her office machine about me open carrying yesterday, and then about an hour after being in the office the reporting tenant showed up. The know it all tenant that had the complaint tried informing her that this property is state tax property and because of which no tenant can carry a firearm on the premises. Then tried saying because I was carrying a firearm on my hip where it was visible, I was brandishing. After she spoke with her manager, she was informed that there was nothing against firearms on or around the property. I informed her as well that in Michigan, open carry is legal. She thanked me for coming in to talk with her.

I know who the tenant is just because of the look they gave me yesterday about the gun. I am expecting a strong police presence this afternoon after this genius realizes the apartment manager is doing nothing to stop me from exercising my right to keep and bear arms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
This morning my wife woke me up with the phone, I woke and said good morning of course. On the phone was my apartment manager asking me if I owned a gun? We already spoke on this matter before and wondering why she forgot, I reminded her yes I do own and carry a gun daily. She tried informing me that I was not allowed to possess a firearm on the premises because it was a state tax property. I told her that I am legally allowed to own and possess a firearm in and around my rented property and reminded her that others in her neighborhood watch program who live here also do the same. After talking to her in the office she retracted her statement about not being allowed to have guns on the property and explained how this matter came about.

She had a message on her office machine about me open carrying yesterday, and then about an hour after being in the office the reporting tenant showed up. The know it all tenant that had the complaint tried informing her that this property is state tax property and because of which no tenant can carry a firearm on the premises. Then tried saying because I was carrying a firearm on my hip where it was visible, I was brandishing. After she spoke with her manager, she was informed that there was nothing against firearms on or around the property. I informed her as well that in Michigan, open carry is legal. She thanked me for coming in to talk with her.

I know who the tenant is just because of the look they gave me yesterday about the gun. I am expecting a strong police presence this afternoon after this genius realizes the apartment manager is doing nothing to stop me from exercising my right to keep and bear arms.
Maybe an OC yard party or something. ;)

FreeInAZ

Maybe an OC yard party or something. ;)

That's the ticket! Wives, friends, etc...all obeying the law, enjoying themselves while OCing... imagine that. ;)
Chips, dips & 45's on hips ...:D

ETA - why is a police response expected? If I called and complained that people were wearing shoes in your complex would they roll SWAT? Afterall a well thrown clog could kill someone right? My point - wearing a pistol & shoes are equally legal in MI. Confused .... ???

Last edited:

OneForAll

My immediate neighbors and I talked today and we have had a problem with this neighbor before. It started last fall with a parking issue. Which was ultimately settled with them receiving a violation for not parking according to how the lease describes. Since then, they will not interact with others in the community or allow their children out to play with mine or anyone else that lives in the immediate area. Now these people have been watching me through their window all day and it is not hard to notice them looking directly at my hip. I swear they are waiting to see my pistol so they can call the cops. Which, what ever management knows and does not care. And yes I have had my recorder on all day, I wish it was video too though.

countryclubjoe

That's the ticket! Wives, friends, etc...all obeying the law, enjoying themselves while OCing... imagine that. ;)
Chips, dips & 45's on hips ...:D

ETA - why is a police response expected? If I called and complained that people were wearing shoes in your complex would they roll SWAT? Afterall a well thrown clog could kill someone right? My point - wearing a pistol & shoes are equally legal in MI. Confused .... ???

A poet with a pistol in our midst. OUTSTANDING.

CCJ

OneForAll

Good job kid. Keep it up. Thanks for standing up.

Thank you for comment, wish I was still a kid though. I have four of my own 7, 5, 3, and 5 weeks old. I carry when ever they are outside and this neighbor does not like it so their kids are not allowed to play outside with mine even though they are the same age. I guess they think I am a bad father because I carry a gun in front of kids. The looks I have got today, priceless and no police came by. Manager even stoped on her way home and said hi.

OneForAll

I guess I do not have to worry about my original post in this thread anymore. I stepped outside for a smoke today and the cops were talking to my neighbors. During this time the manager of the complex, a Davison police officer, and around eight other tenants seen my pistol on my hip and nothing was said. I was not involved so I kept to my self and returned inside after my cigarette.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

This seems strange. Do Davison police respond to all calls about LEGAL activity? Example - If I called about a woman carrying a very large purse...they send an officer out and talk to her neighbors...never know I guess she could have Jimmy Hoffa in it...??? Strange times indeed. :confused:

Bronson

This seems strange. Do Davison police respond to all calls about LEGAL activity? Example - If I called about a woman carrying a very large purse...they send an officer out and talk to her neighbors...never know I guess she could have Jimmy Hoffa in it...??? Strange times indeed. :confused:

I'm not sure but I believe the police were there for something unrelated to the OPs openly carried pistol.

Bronson

FreeInAZ

I'm not sure but I believe the police were there for something unrelated to the OPs openly carried pistol.

Bronson

Hope so, it just seemed odd they were at they at the neighbors house who had the issue with all for one. Then they went to others? We won't know until we hear more. My point was (round about) police have no business responding to legal OC. Maybe they went to inform them that legal OC is just that.... we just....don't know. ???

Something tells me that fishing was the objective. Hope strong STAINLESS hooks were not used. :)

OneForAll

The police where hear about a kid who threw a ball at the neighbors car. Different neighbor than the one who the original post was about. I am sure that they have been informed that I am aloud to carry my firearm. Sorry, probably should of been more clear.

FreeInAZ

Cool - glad it was not about you. Hope you are doing well. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest you guys escape MI and become refugees like Me here in AZ. Life is much easier when it comes to carry here. Hell in cooler times of the year I've been known to OC twin 45's & a foot long bowie knife.... no one bats an eye..(except for the commiefornian's & they don't count ;). ). :p

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Cool - glad it was not about you. Hope you are doing well. If you ever get the chance, I highly suggest you guys escape MI and become refugees like Me here in AZ. Life is much easier when it comes to carry here. Hell in cooler times of the year I've been known to OC twin 45's & a foot long bowie knife.... no one bats an eye..(except for the commiefornian's & they don't count ;). ). :p
Although I'm not from Michigan originally, I like it here. I've been out west, well, as far as Las Vegas. It's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there. ;)

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who'd love it out there. As for the carry situation here, it's getting better. Has been getting for a while now. At least, in most places here in Michigan. ;)

davidmcbeth

Banned
I guess I do not have to worry about my original post in this thread anymore. I stepped outside for a smoke today and the cops were talking to my neighbors. During this time the manager of the complex, a Davison police officer, and around eight other tenants seen my pistol on my hip and nothing was said. I was not involved so I kept to my self and returned inside after my cigarette.

You should have yelled to the cops "leave my meth dealer alone!" Your neighbor would have appreciated that I think.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I would were it not for the highly probable 40k/yr pay cut I'd have, AZ's total disregard for the 4th amendment, and tiny critters that can ruin an otherwise enjoyable time hiking or camping. LOL

sasha601

Although I'm not from Michigan originally, I like it here. I've been out west, well, as far as Las Vegas. It's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there. ;)

Again, this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who'd love it out there. As for the carry situation here, it's getting better. Has been getting for a while now. At least, in most places here in Michigan. ;)

Michigan is not considered the most friendly gun rights state by many, but from my own experience and comparing to gun laws of other states, I shall say that Michigan is actually pretty good. This is especially true for open carry with CPL. There are very few restrictions where one cannot OC in Michigan with CPL. I think we could be one of the best in the country in that respect. But, I wish we can cary loaded long guns in the car and have a right to keep a firearm in the car at place of employment.

OneForAll

Michigan is not considered the most friendly gun rights state by many, but from my own experience and comparing to gun laws of other states, I shall say that Michigan is actually pretty good. This is especially true for open carry with CPL. There are very few restrictions where one cannot OC in Michigan with CPL. I think we could be one of the best in the country in that respect. But, I wish we can cary loaded long guns in the car and have a right to keep a firearm in the car at place of employment.

Good post...