• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I legal ???

Joe Vangel

I have a Valid Virginia Conceal Carry Permit, but just moved to Florida on Saturday. Yesterday (monday) I became a Florida resident and got a Florida Drivers License. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to obtain a Florida CCW, but until it's approved (approval time period in Florida is 90 days) am I still allowed to carry with my VA CCW, or did it become invalid when I came a Florida resident.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You need to ask this in the Florida forum to get your response more quickly by the people knowledgeable in Florida laws.

But since Florida only recognizes resident permits of the states they recognize, it looks like you are indeed in a time period of not being allowed to carry.

You could have gotten your Florida permit several months before you moved to Florida.

When you go in person, you MIGHT be able to ask for a temporary permit.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

I have a Valid Virginia Conceal Carry Permit, but just moved to Florida on Saturday. Yesterday (monday) I became a Florida resident and got a Florida Drivers License. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to obtain a Florida CCW, but until it's approved (approval time period in Florida is 90 days) am I still allowed to carry with my VA CCW, or did it become invalid when I came a Florida resident.

According to HandGunLaw, your permit/license is good in Florida for 90 days beginning on the date you established residency.

See info under Non-Resident Permits:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

SpringerXDacp

You need to ask this in the Florida forum to get your response more quickly by the people knowledgeable in Florida laws.

But since Florida only recognizes resident permits of the states they recognize, it looks like you are indeed in a time period of not being allowed to carry.

You could have gotten your Florida permit several months before you moved to Florida.

When you go in person, you MIGHT be able to ask for a temporary permit.

Both Virginia and Florida honor each others permits which is one of the conditions the OP must meet for his Va permit to be extended 90 days after establishing residency.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's very cool of Florida to at least see that coming and make a provision!

Joe Vangel

According to HandGunLaw, your permit/license is good in Florida for 90 days beginning on the date you established residency.

See info under Non-Resident Permits:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Thanks Springer ! After posting this last night, I went digging further into the bowels of the internet:lol: and found the information you gave me. THANK YOU ! I printed it out, and will carry the info with me in my wallet because the chances of the cops knowing the law is nil to known. I actually asked the office responsible for issuing the Florida permits and they were clueless. That there is bad ! They should know these answers.

SpringerXDacp

Thanks Springer ! After posting this last night, I went digging further into the bowels of the internet:lol: and found the information you gave me. THANK YOU ! I printed it out, and will carry the info with me in my wallet because the chances of the cops knowing the law is nil to known. I actually asked the office responsible for issuing the Florida permits and they were clueless. That there is bad ! They should know these answers.

You're welcome.

Just-in-case you don't already have it, here's the link to Florida's Division of Licensing:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Florida Statute, Chapter 790, Section 790.015:

See Subsection (3):

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html

Joe Vangel

You're welcome.

Just-in-case you don't already have it, here's the link to Florida's Division of Licensing:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Florida Statute, Chapter 790, Section 790.015:

See Subsection (3):

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.015.html

I just got back from applying for my Florida CCW license (had an appointment) and I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I was amazed, no shocked,.....at the amount of people that were in there getting their permits. It was like they were giving away free stuff. When I got mine in VA it was just me, and no one else the entire 45 minutes I was there.

I was told that they tell people it takes about 90 days, but because of my job (government worker) that mine should be 30-45 days and it will be mailed to me when it's complete. They took my finger prints, pictures, check for $112.00, verified my information and then I was sent to a computer to fill out the application form.