• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado town considers licensing bounty hunters to shoot down drones Read more: htt

OC for ME

Griz

Cities / towns are not sovereign.

States are sovereign.

Every State in the Union should be looking into this.

got_heat

That's one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. The town's just looking to make a few extra bucks. Why in the heck would a drone be flying over Deer Trail? :banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
That's one of the most ridiculous things I have heard. The town's just looking to make a few extra bucks. Why in the heck would a drone be flying over Deer Trail? :banghead:

They'll have a drone season ... :lol:

Prices for hotels in the area will shoot up their prices during "drone season".

Fallschirjmäger

Same reason that traffic cameras can record every license plate they photograph with the right software. "Because it's there," is all the reason needed in today's 'we need to watch everything because we don't know if it will be important later' big brother government.

Being in the middle of nowhere just makes it that much more attractive to individuals wishing to stay out of the all-seeing eye of big government, that means big government has to concentrate even more on the out of the way places.

You just need the right paranoid mindset.

OC for ME

http://www.deertrailcolorado.com/

https://www.facebook.com/schaffersdthistory

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-bounties-for-drones

I'm starting to like Deer Trail. Seems like a quaint little prairie town. Looking forward to August 3rd. My 25 bucks, plus shipping and handling, is standing by.

OC for ME

Will there be a bag limit?

Having one mounted will surely change the look of one's trophy wall :lol:
No mention of a bag limit. But a "bounty" of $25 denotes no limit during hunting season. And no season is delineated in the legislation. Though, being a legislative process ya never know what actually gets passed into law.

cyras21

why is a license required? Why not just offer a bounty and be done with it? I see this nothing more then a ploy to increase town funding and gain misguided popularity.

OC for ME

why is a license required? Why not just offer a bounty and be done with it? I see this nothing more then a ploy to increase town funding and gain misguided popularity.
Did you visit the sites cited? Did you read the words of the town "elders"? They readily admit that it, the ordinance/law may be illegal, and will likely be nothing more than a symbolic money maker for the town.

My money is patiently awaiting August 3rd.

C'mon Deer Trail!!!!

Vote this into law and accept my money in exchange for a license.....and it better not be a chintzy little piece of paper run of a cheap azz printer either.

OC for ME

Did you visit the sites cited? Did you read the words of the town "elders"? They readily admit that it, the ordinance/law may be illegal, and will likely be nothing more than a symbolic money maker for the town.

My money is patiently awaiting August 3rd.

C'mon Deer Trail!!!!

Vote this into law and accept my money in exchange for a license.....and it better not be a chintzy little piece of paper run of a cheap azz printer either.
By the way, a license give the licensee the permission needed to discharge a firearm where the discharge of a firearm may have previously been prohibited.

Superlite27

Will there be a bag limit?

Having one mounted will surely change the look of one's trophy wall :lol:

I don't know if I'd want to down more than one.

Field dressing one of those suckers is probably gonna take a considerable amount of time and effort.

Do they make a call for these things?

Would sitting in a field of pot be considered "hunting over bait"?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Many drones fly at 5,000' - some as high as 65,000'.

What is the maximum range of your ammo?

Probably won't make any difference when someone proposes to outlaw all ammo capable of damaging a drone :p

davidmcbeth

Banned
Many drones fly at 5,000' - some as high as 65,000'.

What is the maximum range of your ammo?

Probably won't make any difference when someone proposes to outlaw all ammo capable of damaging a drone :p

That would depend on the machine .. some 1 mile, others longer (or higher).

Don't give the anti's any more ammo grape (or crazy ideas ;)) .... :cool:

Saxxon

Not to be a wet blanket, but for the most part those drones will be flying too high to be shot at. Its also not really a good idea to be shooting large caliber rifles up in the air, though its sparely populated most rounds fired are going to miss and fall somewhere within a few miles around.

To really shoot the drones down, you'd need anti-aircraft type systems (canno or missiles plus radar to find and track the drones), which conveniently the government has a monopoly on.

The only ones you might easily spot and shoot would be ones employed during an op like a raid, at which point you may well be more concerned about the jack boots and their armored cars than a Raven drone buzzing around.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think I'll head on over ..instead of camo to hide me, I would likely wear arab drab so the drone circles to lure him in ...

Wouldn't it be better to convince your worst neighbor to don the arab drab? :)

On a more practical point, there's a reason drones haven't exactly been falling out of the skies over Iraq and Afghanistan, despite the fact that AK-47s are ubiquitous. Two reasons, actually. One is altitude. The other is motion. Even if the bullet has enough energy to make it to that altitude, you have to lead it a whole lot more than you think you do.

Last edited:

XD40sc

Cities / towns are not sovereign.

States are sovereign.

Every State in the Union should be looking into this.

North Carolina has;
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A little-noted provision in North Carolina's budget prohibits police and other government agencies from buying surveillance drones for the next two years, as state lawmakers study the balance between security and privacy.

http://www.wfla.com/story/23041037/nc-law-grounds-surveillance-drones-but-not-all

got_heat

Wouldn't it be better to convince your worst neighbor to don the arab drab? :)

On a more practical point, there's a reason drones haven't exactly been falling out of the skies over Iraq and Afghanistan, despite the fact that AK-47s are ubiquitous. Two reasons, actually. One is altitude. The other is motion. Even if the bullet has enough energy to make it to that altitude, you have to lead it a whole lot more than you think you do.

And that's assuming you know it's up there.