• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

visiting CO... can anyone clarify the open carry laws?

jseth

im from new mexico and will be visiting CO over the weekend.. not my first time but first time recently. in NM i can own, possess and open carry at age 19. why is the minimum open carry age in colorado? i am 20 right now. i will mostly be visiting Durango, maybe ride the Durango silver ton train. I will mostly be camping, not sure yet if it will be in a national forrest or not. is there any laws on the open carry gun...?? i know Denver has changed a lot but i wont be going around Denver. gun control nazis/nuts would like my gun. its a smith and wesson M&P 9mm... 17+1 capacity lol.

mobiushky

im from new mexico and will be visiting CO over the weekend.. not my first time but first time recently. in NM i can own, possess and open carry at age 19. why is the minimum open carry age in colorado? i am 20 right now. i will mostly be visiting Durango, maybe ride the Durango silver ton train. I will mostly be camping, not sure yet if it will be in a national forrest or not. is there any laws on the open carry gun...?? i know Denver has changed a lot but i wont be going around Denver. gun control nazis/nuts would like my gun. its a smith and wesson M&P 9mm... 17+1 capacity lol.

OC = OK. For what you're doing, you'll be fine. The issue is with the new laws, if you get hassled for any reason by LEO, you could lose your mags. Probably not. County sheriff's are in a no enforce state. They won't bother. City police is a completely different issue. City police are mostly fine, but the closer you get to Denver and Boulder, they less they like citizen rights.

Min age for OC is 18. National forest is ok for OC. The train, you might want to check their rules from their site. Private property can post no firearms, but signs have no force of law. If they ask you to leave, leave. Don't want a trespass charge.

Forgot: Parks and Wildlife is a hit or miss. Those guys are a little different from the standard LEO. Sort of like giving the mall cop a gun and telling him to watch the grass. A lot are great. Some, just a touch off. The one and only time I've ever been harassed for OC was by a P&W officer in Conifer. He went out of his way to inform me that I should consider the other people around me and maybe not OC. I informed him "I'm good." BTW, we were in a Qdoba, not in the forest and he went out of his way to approach me and lecture me about OC. I'd been in the place 10 minutes before him and no one else even cared.

Last edited:

jseth

OC = OK. For what you're doing, you'll be fine. The issue is with the new laws, if you get hassled for any reason by LEO, you could lose your mags. Probably not. County sheriff's are in a no enforce state. They won't bother. City police is a completely different issue. City police are mostly fine, but the closer you get to Denver and Boulder, they less they like citizen rights.

Min age for OC is 18. National forest is ok for OC. The train, you might want to check their rules from their site. Private property can post no firearms, but signs have no force of law. If they ask you to leave, leave. Don't want a trespass charge.

Forgot: Parks and Wildlife is a hit or miss. Those guys are a little different from the standard LEO. Sort of like giving the mall cop a gun and telling him to watch the grass. A lot are great. Some, just a touch off. The one and only time I've ever been harassed for OC was by a P&W officer in Conifer. He went out of his way to inform me that I should consider the other people around me and maybe not OC. I informed him "I'm good." BTW, we were in a Qdoba, not in the forest and he went out of his way to approach me and lecture me about OC. I'd been in the place 10 minutes before him and no one else even cared.