Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Changing From Non Resident to Resident CHP

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    226

    Changing From Non Resident to Resident CHP

    Morning Everyone!

    A young man in my center just moved from Maryland to Virginia. Took me several years to convince him!!

    He has a Va. Non-resident permit, and now of course wants to "trade up" (my words).

    I am writing this second hand, so please do not flame....

    He went into the Stafford Clerk of Court and was told that the permit he has was NEVER issued by the state, they have never heard of Non Resident and that he needs to complete the whole process including fees again.

    Are they correct?

    The permit looks very similar to my Fairfax County Permit, State Seal on it, with the exception that VSP put his picture on the back.

    I searched for a process and either am looking in the wrong place or the Court was right.

    Any thoughts out there?

    Thanks!

    Carl

  2. #2
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Citizens arrest !
    Citizens Arrest !


    Violation of rule 8

    Citizens Statement
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?115781-Can-officer-take-your-firearm
    And, I know you know the value of that rule. You've been here for ages. Don't try to tell me you don't fully understand the value of that rule. And, don't try that
    lately business. You know I've hammered that rule for years. Furthermore, I know you know this would be a better forum if everybody followed that rule religiously every time.

    For other readers who weren't around in the early days, here are some of the reasons for it, in no particular order:




    • (8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576

    Changing From Non Resident to Resident CHP

    With apologies to all involved, as I am not looking for a fight, but where else can we find a forum to discuss such things, and still have the strong body of knowledge found on the VA portion of the OCDO forum. I have looked on places like defensive carry, and I just don't get the feel like I do here.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  4. #4
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    With apologies to all involved, as I am not looking for a fight, but where else can we find a forum to discuss such things, and still have the strong body of knowledge found on the VA portion of the OCDO forum. I have looked on places like defensive carry, and I just don't get the feel like I do here.
    Don't know?

    PS
    Don't take this too seriously.



    Last edited by peter nap; 07-18-2013 at 12:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576

    Changing From Non Resident to Resident CHP

    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Don't know?

    PS
    Don't take this too seriously. !


    Gotcha!
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Carl...since you aren't families with the particular chain I'm rattling, and I'm not a permit person....I'll try to answer your question.

    The Clerk is wrong and right. It was issued by the state but not by the Circuit Court of his residence.
    He needs to apply as a resident. I know no way of trading up.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Carl...since you aren't families with the particular chain I'm rattling, and I'm not a permit person....I'll try to answer your question.

    The Clerk is wrong and right. It was issued by the state but not by the Circuit Court of his residence.
    He needs to apply as a resident. I know no way of trading up.
    I'm not so sure of that.

    18.2-308.010 states:
    A. 1. Persons who previously have held a concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application as provided in 18.2-308.02, a new five-year permit unless it is found that the applicant is subject to any of the disqualifications set forth in 18.2-308.09. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit pursuant to this article shall not be required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit pursuant to this section, and the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify an applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted for the permit pursuant to 18.2-308.03 is incorrect.
    As non-resident permits are specifically provided for in 18.2-308.06, someone who holds a non-resident permit and moves to Virginia would be a person "who previously have held a concealed handgun permit". 18.2-308.010 makes no distinction between resident or non-resident permits.

    If his permit is still valid, then there is no need for him to renew until it is ready to expire, any more than when you move within the state you have to update your permit information. When it is time to renew, he can do so by mail, but has to do it through his local circuit court. He also does not need to resubmit proof of competency.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I'm not so sure of that.

    18.2-308.010 states:As non-resident permits are specifically provided for in 18.2-308.06, someone who holds a non-resident permit and moves to Virginia would be a person "who previously have held a concealed handgun permit". 18.2-308.010 makes no distinction between resident or non-resident permits.

    If his permit is still valid, then there is no need for him to renew until it is ready to expire, any more than when you move within the state you have to update your permit information. When it is time to renew, he can do so by mail, but has to do it through his local circuit court. He also does not need to resubmit proof of competency.
    You may be right but I don't think so. He certainly doesn't have to take a class but I'm betting he'll have to submit a new permit application.

    In any event, judging from the Clerks attitude...it will almost certainly be easier to submit a new application well before his non resident permit expires, than to try to argue with them. This is another of those cases that I doubt the Circuit Court will hear because no application has been submitted and denied.
    Last edited by peter nap; 07-18-2013 at 01:16 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711
    The non-resident permit is still good to go - no need to update address. I would wait till you get close to expiration and then apply for a new permit from the Circuit Court using the old permit as prooff of training.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The non-resident permit is still good to go - no need to update address. I would wait till you get close to expiration and then apply for a new permit from the Circuit Court using the old permit as proof of training.
    I would suggest the opposite, because with a NR permit, he is missing out on states that he would be able to carry in if he had a resident permit. (Like Pa., Fl, SC)
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  11. #11
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    This may be somewhat similar to a thread that came up a couple years ago. A resident of a county that did not require fingerprinting happened to move to a city that did, right as their permit was expiring. The city clerk tried to make them supply fingerprints for the renewal. I believe they eventually did get the renewal without the fingerprinting, if I recall correctly, and the clerk was retiring on short order after that as well.

    It would seem to me the burden here is to show how/why a non-resident permit does not satisfy the requirement for renewal, which is stated as: "previously have held a concealed handgun permit"

    That requirement does not seem confusing in the least. What possible case can one make that a non-resident permit is not a concealed handgun permit?

    TFred

  12. #12
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by t11spanner View Post
    Morning Everyone!

    A young man in my center just moved from Maryland to Virginia. Took me several years to convince him!!

    He has a Va. Non-resident permit, and now of course wants to "trade up" (my words).

    I am writing this second hand, so please do not flame....

    He went into the Stafford Clerk of Court and was told that the permit he has was NEVER issued by the state, they have never heard of Non Resident and that he needs to complete the whole process including fees again.

    Are they correct?

    The permit looks very similar to my Fairfax County Permit, State Seal on it, with the exception that VSP put his picture on the back.

    I searched for a process and either am looking in the wrong place or the Court was right.

    Any thoughts out there?

    Thanks!

    Carl
    Sounds to me the Stafford Clerk needs some education. They've never heard of a Non Resident Permit? Have they ever heard of the VA Concealed Carry Code, or is it just how they were told to do it. I would say apply as a Change of Address, as that is what he is doing. The Clerk needs to learn the code, not fall back on I never heard of a Non Resident Permit! IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO EXCUSE! What would the judge saw if I told him I didn't know I needed a CHP.

    Come on no one else caught that?
    Last edited by Wolf_shadow; 07-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  13. #13
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You may be right but I don't think so. He certainly doesn't have to take a class but I'm betting he'll have to submit a new permit application.

    In any event, judging from the Clerks attitude...it will almost certainly be easier to submit a new application well before his non resident permit expires, than to try to argue with them. This is another of those cases that I doubt the Circuit Court will hear because no application has been submitted and denied.
    I tend to agree.

    As he is now a resident, he cannot renew (as in get another of what he already has) his NR permit. However, the NR permit should certainly suffice for competency.

    I guess a better question would be: Since he's now a resident, is the NR permit even valid? There might be two conditions for a NR permit to remain valid: 1) It hasn't expired; and 2) The holder remains a non-resident. The residency requirement for a permit is immediate; there is no waiting period. This is a bit different than simply moving from one Virginia Court District to another.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  14. #14
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I tend to agree.

    As he is now a resident, he cannot renew (as in get another of what he already has) his NR permit. However, the NR permit should certainly suffice for competency.

    I guess a better question would be: Since he's now a resident, is the NR permit even valid? There might be two conditions for a NR permit to remain valid: 1) It hasn't expired; and 2) The holder remains a non-resident. The residency requirement for a permit is immediate; there is no waiting period. This is a bit different than simply moving from one Virginia Court District to another.
    Please show me in the code where it says that a non-resident permit is no longer valid if the person moves into Virginia.

    If it ain't illegal... it's legal.

    TFred

  15. #15
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You may be right but I don't think so. He certainly doesn't have to take a class but I'm betting he'll have to submit a new permit application.

    In any event, judging from the Clerks attitude...it will almost certainly be easier to submit a new application well before his non resident permit expires, than to try to argue with them. This is another of those cases that I doubt the Circuit Court will hear because no application has been submitted and denied.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    I tend to agree.

    As he is now a resident, he cannot renew (as in get another of what he already has) his NR permit. However, the NR permit should certainly suffice for competency.

    I guess a better question would be: Since he's now a resident, is the NR permit even valid? There might be two conditions for a NR permit to remain valid: 1) It hasn't expired; and 2) The holder remains a non-resident. The residency requirement for a permit is immediate; there is no waiting period. This is a bit different than simply moving from one Virginia Court District to another.
    Just because his permit was issued by the VSP instead of a local CoC it is still a VA CHP. Since nothing in the law says a Non Resident CHP becomes invalid when you move to VA it is still a valid CHP. Remember no law says OC is illegal therefore it is legal. Although IANAL.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Please show me in the code where it says that a non-resident permit is no longer valid if the person moves into Virginia.

    If it ain't illegal... it's legal.

    TFred
    Because the Non-Res permit was issued to a person who was not a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia. By several actions this person has now become a resident of Virginia. Their Non-Res permit is not valid because it only gives privileges to non-residents. He's not a non-resident no more.

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

    Change of Address

    Permit holders are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) of changes of address. Notification may be made in writing to the FTC at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov, and must include the permit file number or a photocopy of the permit. A change of address card will be provided to the permit holder, to be retained with the original permit.
    I read that as applyinng to non-residents who change addresses while still remaining non-residents.

    I'll bet they will use the same criteria that DMV uses requiring you to get a VA DL if you move to VA.

    http://www.dmv.state.va.us/drivers/#applying.asp

    If you are from out-of-state and posses a valid driver's license, DMV may exchange your out-of-state driver's license for a Virginia driver's license if you meet the identity, legal presence, residency, and social security requirements and Virginia's driver education requirements, if applicable
    Or, of course tjhe Non-Res permit holdrr could submit a change of address notification and wait to see what happens.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Because the Non-Res permit was issued to a person who was not a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia. By several actions this person has now become a resident of Virginia. Their Non-Res permit is not valid because it only gives privileges to non-residents. He's not a non-resident no more.

    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm



    I read that as applyinng to non-residents who change addresses while still remaining non-residents.

    I'll bet they will use the same criteria that DMV uses requiring you to get a VA DL if you move to VA.

    http://www.dmv.state.va.us/drivers/#applying.asp


    Or, of course tjhe Non-Res permit holdrr could submit a change of address notification and wait to see what happens.

    stay safe.
    Well, other than the code just doesn't say that your permit is suddenly invalid if you move into Virginia, the fault with your DMV analogy is that Virginia does not issue non-resident drivers licenses, at least not that I know of! Not a valid comparison, because what you are comparing to does not exist.

    TFred

  18. #18
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Additional thoughts...

    In order for a non-resident permit to suddenly become invalid when the holder moves into the state, the state would have to not recognize their own permit. I hate to keep beating the drum, but there is no provision in the code for this.

    The only reason they do non-resident permits differently (State police vs local courts) is that a non-resident doesn't have a local court in Virginia. I'd just as soon see them all done in Richmond, as a plastic card with a photo. Look at how many local problems would go away, and with shall issue, there is no role for the local good-old-boy network any longer anyway.

    TFred

  19. #19
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Additional thoughts...

    In order for a non-resident permit to suddenly become invalid when the holder moves into the state, the state would have to not recognize their own permit. I hate to keep beating the drum, but there is no provision in the code for this.

    The only reason they do non-resident permits differently (State police vs local courts) is that a non-resident doesn't have a local court in Virginia. I'd just as soon see them all done in Richmond, as a plastic card with a photo. Look at how many local problems would go away, and with shall issue, there is no role for the local good-old-boy network any longer anyway.

    TFred
    If they have to issue CHP's, it should be by the State Police. The code should be amended to have issued a permit when one passes he instant background check. A receipt from the gun store would act as a temporary permit.

  20. #20
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    If they have to issue CHP's, it should be by the State Police. The code should be amended to have issued a permit when one passes he instant background check. A receipt from the gun store would act as a temporary permit.
    YES! I broached this idea about a year ago, when I realized that there was in fact very little difference between the purchase check and the CHP check. The more common the CHP is, the less special it is, the easier it will be to roll over to Constitutional Carry. If the first step is to make every legal gun owner a CHP holder, then there is no difference between that and Constitutional Carry, other than the silly piece of paper!

    TFred

  21. #21
    Regular Member Esanders2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    YES! I broached this idea about a year ago, when I realized that there was in fact very little difference between the purchase check and the CHP check. The more common the CHP is, the less special it is, the easier it will be to roll over to Constitutional Carry. If the first step is to make every legal gun owner a CHP holder, then there is no difference between that and Constitutional Carry, other than the silly piece of paper!

    TFred
    Well there ARE some differences that would have to be addressed. For example, you can purchase a handgun if you have a pending charge of domestic violence (as you have not been found guilty at the time of charging), but that is a DQ for a CHP
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

  22. #22
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Well there ARE some differences that would have to be addressed. For example, you can purchase a handgun if you have a pending charge of domestic violence (as you have not been found guilty at the time of charging), but that is a DQ for a CHP
    Yes, "very little difference" implies that some differences do exist.

    TFred

  23. #23
    Activist Member swinokur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montgomery County, MD
    Posts
    984
    WI honors the VA NR permit but not the resident permit. They claim resident background checks don't use NICS so they won't honor a VA resident permit.

    Dumb IMO.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    226
    I have been known to fracture a few rules or two in my time. LOL!

    Thank you guys again for a very instructional conversation. My advice to him will be to take the code to the CoC, with all of his application stuff ready for turn in and see what happens.

    Just as a side note, while I OC 95% of the time, this is where I come for my direction whether it is OC or CC. To much knowledge with in to ignore.

    Carl

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

    Citizens arrest !
    Citizens Arrest !
    Miranda Warning: You have the right to make an idiot of yourself by bringing up old conflict. You have the right to look a fool for continuing to minimize the importance of cites. You have the right to raise juvenile objections, and simmer and fester on them for weeks. You had the right to counsel, got counsel, and ignored it. You can stop talking at any time.



    And, I have the right to call you out. If you don't like it, you can try an actual refutation based on sound logic and argument. Otherwise, you're just childishly whining about members of a self-moderating forum actually self-moderating.

    Got any good reasons you or others should ignore the rule about cites?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •