• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry w/ Conceal Carry Permit Question.

hermannr

Okay, So I have had my Conceal Carry Permit for quite a while, and have decided to start open carrying more often. So my question to you all is, since I have my Conceal Carry, can I open carry in my vehicle with the weapon loaded? I understand that it is illegal to carry loaded without my Conceal Carry in my vehicle, but can I carry open, loaded, since I have my permit?

Thanks in Advance,
Mav

Your CPL only allows you to conceal, it has no bearing on if you do or not. And yes, your CPL does override the prohibition to general loaded carry in a vehicle, at a time you cannot utilize an exemption from RCW 9.41.060

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Slapmonkey:

There are a couple things wrong with this "AGO" opinion. The opinion is not from the AG, and the AG only answers questions from government officials, as he/she is the states attorney.

The second thing is, this gal obviously does not know RCW 9.41 very well, and did not take the time to look anything up.

I am aware of how official AGO's are procured, this not being an official AGO. This is simply correspondence with the AG office, that's not to mean that their opinion is irrelevant as this is the lawyer tasked to the firearms items for the AG.

I was critical of their response and had followup phone calls with them as well, even though some people here didn't see the point. That can be followed here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107328-Even-the-AG-office-has-it-wrong

Riding a bicycle IS an outdoor recreational activity, in and of itself...even if it is also a means of transport.

Definition of 'Recreation': a pastime, diversion, exercise, or other resource affording relaxation and enjoyment.

At the very least its ambiguous, in my opinion. If a prosecutor could make the case that you are bicycling to work, like you do daily or able to setup some sort of other repetitive history, would one be able to say that your not actually exercising a recreational activity but just traveling and using the bicycle as a means of transport?

Can I apply the same recreational activity exception to my motorcycle riding since I only do so for relaxation and enjoyment in the outdoors, I might be on a road but to me I am recreating just like someone on a bicycle.

I don't necessarily believe that just because your on a bicycle that your automatically considered performing an outdoor recreation activity.

I am not just trying to be argumentative.
  • A bicycle is defined as a vehicle in the RCW's.
  • The consensus of those here believe that the in/on language of RCW 9.41.050(2)(a) CPL requirement applies to a motorcycle. (thus I would claim the same applies on a bicycle)
  • Does riding a bicycle automatically mean that your performing an outdoor recreational activity. Even if your not doing it for relaxation or enjoyment but as a means to transport daily.
  • The outdoor recreational activity is an exception, the onus is on the individual to claim the exception.

When giving advice, I would rather error on the side of caution. 99% of the time it may prove to be no issue or non-event. I sure don't want to tell someone they can go do something and they end up being the 1% with a LEO or prosecutor trying to push the limits and result in a test case.

As always, if you want a real legal opinion then consult with a real attorney because I am just some yoke on the internet (in Montana no less!).

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

This has been discussed several times. I am in fact on your side, I personally would probably consider it a worthy cause to get case law on it. Most people might not, so I provide the information that the consensus believes and the 'safer' option.

Here are a couple previous threads regarding that subject...

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?106539-Motorcycles

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?45617-OC-and-Motorcycles
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88317-OC-and-motorcyles

Additionally, here is a response from AG office. Take it with grain of salt.

PDF: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EAECB6BB8CE1D11B!182&authkey=!ACAeacIuZ9ymRkQ

"The RCW’s apply to vehicles, motorcycles, and bicycles. Carrying a firearm on a motorcycle or
bicycle is the same as carrying a firearm in a vehicle. You will need a license to carry a
concealed weapon.
"

He did not say that all carry on a bike (both types) was by default concealed. Just that if you carry concealed then you need a CPL.

That was not a rebuttal at all. Unless the AG has failed English lessons or is trying to deceive you by writing it the way it was written.

Freedom1Man

RCW 46.04.071
Bicycle.

"Bicycle" means every device propelled solely by human power upon which a person or persons may ride, having two tandem wheels either of which is sixteen inches or more in diameter, or three wheels, any one of which is more than twenty inches in diameter.

RCW 46.04.320
Motor vehicle.

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails. "Motor vehicle" includes a neighborhood electric vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.357. "Motor vehicle" includes a medium-speed electric vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.295. An electric personal assistive mobility device is not considered a motor vehicle. A power wheelchair is not considered a motor vehicle. A golf cart is not considered a motor vehicle, except for the purposes of chapter 46.61 RCW.

(No bicycle)

RCW 46.04.670
Vehicle.

"Vehicle" includes every device capable of being moved upon a public highway and in, upon, or by which any persons or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway, including bicycles. "Vehicle" does not include power wheelchairs or devices other than bicycles moved by human or animal power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. Mopeds are not considered vehicles or motor vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.70 RCW. Bicycles are not considered vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.12, 46.16A, or 46.70 RCW or RCW 82.12.045. Electric personal assistive mobility devices are not considered vehicles or motor vehicles for the purposes of chapter 46.12, 46.16A, 46.29, 46.37, or 46.70 RCW. A golf cart is not considered a vehicle, except for the purposes of chapter 46.61 RCW.

tombrewster421

"The RCW’s apply to vehicles, motorcycles, and bicycles. Carrying a firearm on a motorcycle or
bicycle is the same as carrying a firearm in a vehicle. You will need a license to carry a
concealed weapon.
"

He did not say that all carry on a bike (both types) was by default concealed. Just that if you carry concealed then you need a CPL.

That was not a rebuttal at all. Unless the AG has failed English lessons or is trying to deceive you by writing it the way it was written.

Sorry to break it to you but the license is called "license to carry concealed pistol." That's what it's called. They were not stating the obvious that you need the license to do what it's named for. They said that carrying on a bike is the same as carrying in a car. All restrictions apply.

My personal opinion however is that unless you're riding indoors that it meets the exception in .060. No matter your reasons for riding it can still be because you want to for the exercise. Just like I open carry for more than political reasons. The obvious reason is for self defense just like the obvious reason for biking is for exercise.

Freedom1Man

Sorry to break it to you but the license is called "license to carry concealed pistol." That's what it's called. They were not stating the obvious that you need the license to do what it's named for. They said that carrying on a bike is the same as carrying in a car. All restrictions apply.

My personal opinion however is that unless you're riding indoors that it meets the exception in .060. No matter your reasons for riding it can still be because you want to for the exercise. Just like I open carry for more than political reasons. The obvious reason is for self defense just like the obvious reason for biking is for exercise.

I was re-quoting, not agreeing with the quote.

hermannr

I am aware of how official AGO's are procured, this not being an official AGO. This is simply correspondence with the AG office, that's not to mean that their opinion is irrelevant as this is the lawyer tasked to the firearms items for the AG.

I was critical of their response and had followup phone calls with them as well, even though some people here didn't see the point. That can be followed here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107328-Even-the-AG-office-has-it-wrong

Definition of 'Recreation': a pastime, diversion, exercise, or other resource affording relaxation and enjoyment.

At the very least its ambiguous, in my opinion. If a prosecutor could make the case that you are bicycling to work, like you do daily or able to setup some sort of other repetitive history, would one be able to say that your not actually exercising a recreational activity but just traveling and using the bicycle as a means of transport?

Can I apply the same recreational activity exception to my motorcycle riding since I only do so for relaxation and enjoyment in the outdoors, I might be on a road but to me I am recreating just like someone on a bicycle.

I don't necessarily believe that just because your on a bicycle that your automatically considered performing an outdoor recreation activity.

I am not just trying to be argumentative.
  • A bicycle is defined as a vehicle in the RCW's.
  • The consensus of those here believe that the in/on language of RCW 9.41.050(2)(a) CPL requirement applies to a motorcycle. (thus I would claim the same applies on a bicycle)
  • Does riding a bicycle automatically mean that your performing an outdoor recreational activity. Even if your not doing it for relaxation or enjoyment but as a means to transport daily.
  • The outdoor recreational activity is an exception, the onus is on the individual to claim the exception.

When giving advice, I would rather error on the side of caution. 99% of the time it may prove to be no issue or non-event. I sure don't want to tell someone they can go do something and they end up being the 1% with a LEO or prosecutor trying to push the limits and result in a test case.

As always, if you want a real legal opinion then consult with a real attorney because I am just some yoke on the internet (in Montana no less!).

Quote Originally Posted by Exerpt

The RCW’s apply to vehicles, motorcycles, and bicycles. Carrying a firearm on a motorcycle or
concealed weapon.

I added you original quote of a quote so I can reiterate what I said about RCW 9.41.060(8). There are a couple words that make a lot of difference "...SUCH AS...". Very obviously, the legislature did not want to make an exhaustive list of "outdoor recreational activities" they approved of, but only wanted to give examples.

This open ended language in WA law should be contrasted with Oregon's law: The equivalent Oregon exemption is at ORS 166.260(3) ...(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

As you can see you must specifically have a valid Oregon hunting and/or fishing license and be going to/coming from/or participating in hunting or fishing.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
So, if I am walking, and a police officer stops me, should I show them my driver's license and tell them where my car is and ask them how they would like me to proceed like some people say I should do with my CPL to be "polite" and "respectful" (especially on other forums)? :lol:
No, you would need to show him your walking license.
You do have a walking license, don't you?:lol: