• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Zimmerman CAN'T have his gun back - DOJ screws with him

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
http://tinyurl.com/mkc8fs7

Justice Department places 'hold' on Trayvon Martin trial evidence, including George Zimmerman's gun - which Florida law says must be returned to him

"The U.S. Department of Justice, overseen by Attorney General Eric Holder, has ordered the Sanford, Florida police department to keep possession of all the evidence from George Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial - including the exonerated neighborhood watch volunteer's gun.

Sanford police confirmed on Thursday that the DOJ asked the agency not to return any pieces of evidence to their owners. Zimmerman was expected to get his firearm back by month's end.

The development is a sign that the criminal section of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division is seriously investigating Zimmerman to determine if federal civil rights charges should be filed..."

What unbelievable, disgusting BS!

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
That sucks .. maybe some dealer or man will provide some to him ... or he can buy some more himself.

Bigger, more powerful guns.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They "asked?" What does that mean?

This does NOT preclude him from legally buying another gun. He is a free man with no conviction or pending indictment. I'd offer him one of mine, but I'm certain I'd be standing in line to give him one.

KRM59

No surprise !

Is anyone really surprised by this ?
I would be willing to wager after it is all said and done Zimmerman, either gets convicted and is levied a hefty fine or gets Prison time.
With this gang of cronies in power the deck is stacked against him.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Something's fishy here, guys.

Since when is a municipal PD under the thumb of the DOJ such that DOJ can compel them to do anything, much less retain evidence? Its not a federal court order, a writ so to speak. This is a federal republic. Where's DOJ get the authority to tell a local PD what to do?

EMNofSeattle

Something's fishy here, guys.

Since when is a municipal PD under the thumb of the DOJ such that DOJ can compel them to do anything, much less retain evidence? Its not a federal court order, a writ so to speak. This is a federal republic. Where's DOJ get the authority to tell a local PD what to do?

Holder: So I'd like you to hold on to Zimmerman's pistol
Chief: OK, well is there a court order, or we have to give it back to hi....
Holder: *thumbs through paperwork* So Chief.... I understand you applied for three COPS grants... unfortunatley the sequester and all and budget cuts.... oh sorry what were we talking about? the pistol?
Chief... uhh We'll hold unto to it....

better question, why couldn't Z pick up his pistol on the way out of the courthouse after his aquittal? since all the exhibits were in the jury room likely, why couldn't the court clerk just hand it back to him as he left?

Last edited:

Lord Sega

DOJ / Holder: ordered the Sanford, Florida police department to keep possession of all the evidence ... including GZ's gun.

Sanford police confirmed ... that the DOJ asked the agency not to return any pieces of evidence to their owners.

So what is it... Ordered or Asked?
Does the DOJ have the authority to order this?
Would this be a transfer of evidence IF the DOJ had an open investigation?
I know the DOJ is looking at a possible investigation/charges, but have they officially opened an investigation, or is it just talk at this point?
And... doesn't the almost 300 page FBI report that there is no racism on GZ's part end the investigation before it starts, i.e. the investigation is already done.

Ca Patriot

The first time I was arrested for photography they kept my camera for 2 years and 5 months despite never being charged.

The entire time they had my camera they said it was for "evidence".

Even after 6 months when the DA said "most likely" they wouldn't file charges, they kept the camera because they said "future advances might allow for more thurough examination of memory cards".

WalkingWolf

That sucks .. maybe some dealer or man will provide some to him ... or he can buy some more himself.

Bigger, more powerful guns.

Already happened, all he has to do is pass the background check. Dealer in Fl has offered him his choice of handguns he has in stock. Unless the DOJ charges him I can't see how he can be denied. And if they do, he can buy a 58 Remington without a background check.

After O'Mara announced GZ would get his gun back TM's parents were having a fit. So much for Obama respecting the jury.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

What about the 1 million bond he posted?

Let me get this correct. The government confiscated the legal weapons of an innocent citizen?

Z will have more issues to support his civil action.

1- The G is violating his constitutional right to keep an bear arms.
2- The G is violating his constitutional right to due process.

Z civil litigation attorney must think he died and went to civil litigation heaven.

Can you say,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Best regards.

CCJ

Lord Sega

Legal question...

Besides suing:
1) MSNBC for snipping the tape to make him sound racist (libel causing emotional distress).
2) CNN for broadcasting his Social Security number, address, and phone number for 23 seconds, immediately tweeted by viewers (Privacy Act? He needs a new SSAN now).
3) the Black Panthers for the illegal bounty put on him. (That's a real civil rights charge that the DOJ needs to look into).
4) Also, overall conspiracy by Sharpton, Jackson, Crump, multiple media outlets, et all for libel (saying and making him look racist, stirring the pot, thus creating emotional distress, loss of employment, health issues, putting his life in danger, and cost of security).

Could GZ, since the FBI investigation cleared GZ of racial bias, push for a civil rights case against TM's family (responsible due to TM being a minor) and/or TM's "estate"?
The almost 300 page FBI report combined with Jeantel's testimony in court and her interviews showing that it was TM who was homophobic/racist should allow a civil rights suit.

Also, who has to push the Florida BAR (i.e. formal complaint) to investigate Angela Corey and the prosecutors for penalties and/or pulling their license(s) for their illegal trial maneuvers?

IANAL (obviously), feel free to correct any of the above and add on anything else you can think of that could legally apply.

countryclubjoe

Besides suing:
1) MSNBC for snipping the tape to make him sound racist (libel causing emotional distress).
2) CNN for broadcasting his Social Security number, address, and phone number for 23 seconds, immediately tweeted by viewers (Privacy Act? He needs a new SSAN now).
3) the Black Panthers for the illegal bounty put on him. (That's a real civil rights charge that the DOJ needs to look into).
4) Also, overall conspiracy by Sharpton, Jackson, Crump, multiple media outlets, et all for libel (saying and making him look racist, stirring the pot, thus creating emotional distress, loss of employment, health issues, putting his life in danger, and cost of security).

Could GZ, since the FBI investigation cleared GZ of racial bias, push for a civil rights case against TM's family (responsible due to TM being a minor) and/or TM's "estate"?
The almost 300 page FBI report combined with Jeantel's testimony in court and her interviews showing that it was TM who was homophobic/racist should allow a civil rights suit.

Also, who has to push the Florida BAR (i.e. formal complaint) to investigate Angela Corey and the prosecutors for penalties and/or pulling their license(s) for their illegal trial maneuvers?

IANAL (obviously), feel free to correct any of the above and add on anything else you can think of that could legally apply.

Hi

Florida Commission of Ethics
And
The Florida Bar Association

CCJ

EMNofSeattle

Why not? And if being on the bar is a condition of the job, they would immediately have to be fired.

from the Florida bar's website

How can I file a complaint against an elected official, such as the elected State Attorney, elected Public Defender, or Sheriff?
The State Commission on Ethics deals with complaints about misconduct by some elected officials. The Florida Bar does not have jurisdiction to discipline lawyers who occupy constitutionally created positions including judges. The Judicial Qualifications Commission External Link investigates allegations of misconduct by judges. The conduct of State Attorneys and elected Public Defenders is overseen by the Governor External Link of Florida.

Silvertongue

Someone (everyone) should call the Attorney General Public Comment Line at 202-353-1555 and ask whether the DOJ is going to provide a replacement handgun or private security against the credible death threats he's been receiving. After all, it would be wrong for him to get killed before he gets crucified.

FreeInAZ

Holder: So I'd like you to hold on to Zimmerman's pistol
Chief: OK, well is there a court order, or we have to give it back to hi....
Holder: *thumbs through paperwork* So Chief.... I understand you applied for three COPS grants... unfortunatley the sequester and all and budget cuts.... oh sorry what were we talking about? the pistol?
Chief... uhh We'll hold unto to it....

better question, why couldn't Z pick up his pistol on the way out of the courthouse after his aquittal? since all the exhibits were in the jury room likely, why couldn't the court clerk just hand it back to him as he left?

For a youngster you understand politics well. +1. ;) Follow the money, it always shows the way.

F350

They "asked?" What does that mean?

This does NOT preclude him from legally buying another gun. He is a free man with no conviction or pending indictment. I'd offer him one of mine, but I'm certain I'd be standing in line to give him one.

What do you think his chances are of passing the NICS check??????? Florida does not (I think) require a BC for private purchases, he would have to go that route.