• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Two Guns DB.380 and Taurus Judge

eNomineZerum

Greenville, North Carolina, United States
Still new but it appears this is the place to get feedback on carrying and the such. I have two handguns at current with a higher capacity .22 or 9mm in the future. I also enjoy both OC and CC.

My Diamondback .380 sits in a wallet holster that easily conceals in my back packet or in a cargo pocket depending on my mood. This also fits in the front glovebox of my Yaris, (right behind the steering wheel). It has decent accuracy inside of 25' and I have put over 200 rounds through it with only 2 jams that I blame on limp-wristing, it was my first handgun. I currently keep it loaded with Hornady .380 Critical Defense.

My new Handgun is a Taurus Judge with a 3" cylinder. I put 40 .45 Colt round through it and have great accuracy in either single action or double action at 25". Sadly I have no way of testing the .410 PDX1 rounds I bought because the local gun range won't allow them. I also have mustered the courage to go into "random country and fire a few off" like some co-workers suggested. I currently keep it loaded with 3 .410 PDX1 shells followed by two .45 Colt rounds.

With these two I enjoy that I can carry the Judge on my right hip in OC fashion and, if the mood strikes me, keep the DB .380 in my back right pocket. This does throw me askew a bit though.

With what I have at hand does anyone have any suggestions? I know off hand that I NEED to put some .410s throughout it for sake of practice but that will come eventually.

FreeInAZ

Just curious...why back pocket carry of the DB380? Economy of motion & ease of deployment are key when pocket guns are to be used. I know lots of guys who claim to pocket carry in normal blue jeans. I always wonder if their pick pockets, because to fish even the very thin p32 out of a front jean pocket that does not have a diagonal opening pocket similar to dockers is nearly impossible for me under stress. ???

Do you carry the DB in your right back pocket? Also how fast can you retrieve it from a "cargo pocket"? Is the DB a backup to your revolver? One of the primary uses of a bug (backup gun) is to stop an attempted gun grab. If you are using your right hand to try and retain your revolver, how can you get to the DB with it? Back pocket carry is fine I guess in the country, but it makes it just that much easier on a attacker who comes from behind you to lay hands on it, or to block your access. These are things to think about. Hey do what works best for you. Just curious not being critical. Stay safe & carry on ;)

Last edited:

packeagle

I was going to suggest carrying the DB380 in left pants picket when riding as your BUG. That way you can draw left handed to defend against a gun grab with your right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

eNomineZerum

Good points guys. I all honesty I just got the Judge a few days ago and except for just trying both at the same time haven't actually carried both at the same time. I never really considered the concept or need for a BUG.

I also guess the concept of a wallet holster was imprinted upon me by both my Uncle, who carries similarly, and an acquaintance who claimed he was asked for his wallet and responded by grabbing his "wallet" and got away unscathed.

I do have a belt holster coming for the DB .380 so I will attempt to find something that suits me.

In terms of speed its no quick draw, but, its there if needed. I have a friend who is a Martial Artists and I can retrieve the DB .380 from my Wallet for Cargo quicker than he draw his .380 from his front pants pocket.

packeagle, I like that suggestion and will consider it greatly as I feel my way around this new area in my life. I know there have been a few to many crime spikes where I am at and where I will be attending college com August.

Another good question, I see a lot of people that carry so much. My cellphone had a place on my right hip until I started carrying there so it now resides on my left hip. I keep a decent SOG Flash II on me and that sits right pocket. Keys tend to hang from a belt loop into rear left pocket. I do suppose that leave my front left open for the DB .380; although, isn't encumbrance an issue to be aware of?

FreeInAZ

If you ever get the chance, I would enjoy seeing your speed draws from cargo pocket / back pocket. Maybe it would help me be quicker? Post a video ;) Never stop learning, as knowledge is power, I say.

Last edited:

j4l

If you ever get the chance, I would enjoy seeing your speed draws from cargo pocket / back pocket. Maybe it would help me be quicker? Post a video ;) Never stop learning, as knowledge is power, I say.

As far as Jeans/pocket-carry, it's not really more, or less difficult from back pockets than any other method.In fact, probably somewhat easier/faster, since you are less likely to have the usual "pocket clutter" we all seem to gather (coins, keys, receipts etc).
I used to carry my little .25 in my left-rear pocket all the time. And practiced drawing it to where it comes naturally.
Practice, like with anything else, makes perfect.

The Donkey

One of the drawbacks of loading your Judge with both .410 and .45 is that you will lose track of which chambers you have loaded each into.

The .45 rounds are shorter, and when you try to press a .410 into a chamber that you have been using .45 in, you will run into a ridge of gunk. So getting the shells in and out becomes harder and harder as you practice.

A good workover with nitro and a steel brush after each session with .410 is, I think, the best you can do. But I get concerned that the combination of the stress of the shooting plastic crap that comes in .410 shells and then the rough cleaning that seems necessary afterwards is pretty hard on the rifling. In any case, I do not get the same degree of accuracy you do shooting my cowboy loads through a Taurus mod. 44 -- a precurser of the Judge line.

But then again, as a home defense weapon, with a few chambers loaded up with 000, accuracy is almost beside the point.

eNomineZerum

@FreeinAZ I may have to take the time to record the draw once I move and get settled in. It is slower than hip draw by about 1.5 seconds. That's just me counting it out though.

@The Donkey I have heard a few issues with various loads. I also discovered, and then read, that Hornady Cowboy loads with the flat lead tip are absolutely HORRIBLE for leaving a lead build up that requires a very thorough cleaning. I hope that that ridge doesn't build up too much or that would be a rather serious issue to deal with. I wonder if someone has a Raging Judge and fires 45's regularly is the 454 Casull would run into this same issue.

The Donkey

The weight of The Judge could cause a permanent change in your gait if you carry it regularly.

It is a convincing looking weapon -- which is worth something only if an attacker has gotten close enough to be convinced.

For OC, IMHO its chief value is your option of loading chamber 1 with no. 5 or 6 birdshot, if you so choose. I suppose that choice might be guided by what kind of attacker you think that you are likely to face.

Even in .410, that is a considerable quantity of birdshot and anybody who has not been deterred by the profile of a 3" chamber or a face full of no. 6 is not likely to be deterred by anything.

eNomineZerum

The versatility is what I like about it. I am not trying to kill someone and the PDX1 rounds (3) should be enough to deter any sane minded individual. If all else fails the two 45's should allow us to see what was keeping him running.:shocker:

The weight isn't that much of an issue as I carry a Note 2 and have always been told that I wear too much crap. Does it matter much if I generally wear steel toed boots?

I also like a very thorough article I read regarding usability of rounds and how the .22LR is the #1 round used in self-defense and has a common effect of only needing one round to stop the threat. Can anyone explain where the "12 inches of penetration" thought came from? Seriously, I know 2 inches of penetration isn't nessecarily going to kill but how well will someone operate if I get off say even two shots?

hafnhaf

i have a judge public defender polymer. i used to carry a mix of pdx1 and 000 buck, but i reconsidered that mix. i am responsible for ALL the projectiles that come out of my gun. i decided that since the 3 pdx discs stay pretty close together at close range, but the 12 BBs spread out really fast, to reduce my liability i only carry 000 buck outside the house. little poly is kept loaded with pdx in the house.

my EDC gun is a .40 springfield with a mix of fmj and hollow points.