• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you in/near Alexandria? Misinformation likely coming ....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I have to work.

Take plenty of duct tape. At the link, the Mayor is quoted as saying he respects the jury's verdict, but a few sentences later says he wants to find ways to overcome it.

I wonder if Naked will be there with video camera.

Blk97F150

The Mayor's comments from the linked article:

"While I respect the decision by the jury in the Trayvon Martin case, I am also troubled by the outcome. Like so many Americans, I believe that Trayvon's death was a tragedy, and while we must always have faith in our judicial system, one must question how an innocent child walking in his neighborhood could end up dead at the hands of an armed neighborhood watchman — only for that man to be found not guilty by a paneled jury.

Actually Mr Mayor, I think that 'question' was answered fairly well by the testimony and evidence presented in court.... Martin assaulted Zimmerman with a blow to the face that broke his nose, and he continued to assault him by banging his head against the ground until Zimmerman defended himself and stopped the assault. That's 'how an innocent child can end up dead and the shooter found not guilty'. Seems pretty clear cut, Mr Mayor.

Wish I could make the event... sounds like it could be interesting.... but family commitments conflict.

SAvage410

I'll see you there Tess.

As far as the Mayor's question (can't post to The Patch - I refuse to sign in and I do not have a book of face account):

Let's recap: Martin, an "Innocent Child" decides to break a man's nose, repeatedly pounds his head against a cement sidewalk and, while reaching for the victim's firearm, reportedly exclaims "You’re going to die tonight motherf***er". The victim, Zimmerman, to that point resisting only by screaming for help, finally responds by firing one shot at his aggressor, Martin.

Numerous trial witnesses, most of them CALLED BY THE PROSECUTION, corroborate this version of events, leading to a Not Guilty verdict, despite documented attempts by the prosecution to suppress exculpatory evidence. The nation is up in arms that the wrong man died that night, and Mayor Euille now wants to have a "discussion" after the fact to further inflame the populace.

Did I miss anything?

JohnM15A

I'm not a city resident, would I be admitted?

http://alexandriava.gov/RecreationCenters

Recreation Center ID Policy
All participants/users of the City of Alexandria neighborhood recreation centers must be residents of the City, and are required to show proof of residency to register at the neighborhood recreation centers. To determine if you are a City resident, refer to the City Residency Verification Guide.

IanB

I wonder if Naked will be there with video camera.

Nope. NSL is furiously cleaning & packing in prep for his move to Woodbridge in 2 weeks. I hear he is also accepting gun safes (the type that bolt to the floor, tall enough for rifles) as housewarming gifts.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Nope. NSL is furiously cleaning & packing in prep for his move to Woodbridge in 2 weeks. I hear he is also accepting gun safes (the type that bolt to the floor, tall enough for rifles) as housewarming gifts.

Tell him I said best wishes for a smooth relocation.

Oh, and ask him if he's seen a professional for that multiple-personality disorder. :) (Reader note: inside joke).

EMNofSeattle

All participants/users of the City of Alexandria neighborhood recreation centers must be residents of the City, and are required to show proof of residency to register at the neighborhood recreation centers. To determine if you are a City resident, refer to the City Residency Verification Guide.

isn't alexandria a county and not a city?

I think that applies to actual acitivities like sports leagues or the city pool or something like that.

I'm on the other side of the country, but I had to drive about 250 miles to Richland Washington to take my hunter's ed class and the class was at a city "community center" and I had to pay more because I wasn't a Richland Resident....

so based on that experience, I think that applies only to actual city rec programs sponsored by tax payers, a public forum held by a public official, I would think there would be some legal problems with excluding people.

so a clear as mud answer, but I don't think they would exclude you, but take it for what it's worth, the personal belief of someone who lives far away.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

So dim bulb might try to exclude you on this basis, but this rule is aimed at rec center activities like sports and other programs for kids and what have you.

You would be attending a public meeting, and VA has an open meeting law.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I think that applies to actual acitivities like sports leagues or the city pool or something like that.

I'm on the other side of the country, but I had to drive about 250 miles to Richland Washington to take my hunter's ed class and the class was at a city "community center" and I had to pay more because I wasn't a Richland Resident....

so based on that experience, I think that applies only to actual city rec programs sponsored by tax payers, a public forum held by a public official, I would think there would be some legal problems with excluding people.

so a clear as mud answer, but I don't think they would exclude you, but take it for what it's worth, the personal belief of someone who lives far away.

It's both.

The City of Alexandria is separate from the unincorporated part of Fairfax County known as Alexandria.

I was unable to make it; the laryngitis, earache, sinus headache, and hacking cough have something to do with it. I will be watching the local weekly papers to see what might be said.

SAvage410

I actually did make it, but left very early on. I have difficulty hearing, and the combination of a poor PA system and lousy acoustics (the event was held in a gymnasium) led to me being unable to hear most of what was being said. I left after about 15 minutes (most of which time was the Mayor going on about certain meetings he had advanced to discuss racial harmony and something about his time at a dorm in college. Again, I could make out only about every third to fourth word. I left just after Jim Moran arrived.

JohnM15A

I actually did make it, but left very early on. I have difficulty hearing, and the combination of a poor PA system and lousy acoustics (the event was held in a gymnasium) led to me being unable to hear most of what was being said. I left after about 15 minutes (most of which time was the Mayor going on about certain meetings he had advanced to discuss racial harmony and something about his time at a dorm in college. Again, I could make out only about every third to fourth word. I left just after Jim Moran arrived.

Were there many there? Crowd reaction?

SAvage410

I'm guessing about 60 people, but I'm not a professional estimator. The crowd was mostly silent as the Mayor went through his opening monologue. They clapped a bit when he introduced the woman who was head of the Human Rights department. She spoke so softly that I had even more difficulty hearing her, so I bagged it and left.

Last edited:

TFred

It's both.

The City of Alexandria is separate from the unincorporated part of Fairfax County known as Alexandria.
Alexandria is an independent city. There is no Alexandria County. Virginia holds 39 of the 42 independent cities in the United States.

I don't know about any unincorporated areas of Fairfax known as Alexandria, but there are certain areas within the borders of Fairfax County (adjacent to Alexandria city) which have "Alexandria" mailing addresses. This is a USPS problem, and is found in other areas of the state, including my area of Fredericksburg, where at least two zip codes in Spotsylvania County and three zip codes in Stafford County are served by the post office in downtown Fredericksburg city, providing "Fredericksburg" as their mailing address, even though they are not actually in the city.

TFred

Last edited: