• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kesselrings loses firerams license

wolf-father

BURLINGTON — For more than 65 years, Kesselring Gun Shop has sold firearms to the hunters, collectors and protectors among us.
But starting Oct. 1, the family-owned shop will sell firearms no more.
Nobody will say why.
Don Kesselring, reached at his shop by phone Wednesday, said he had made a deal with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Part of the deal means not talking about why his business lost its license.

http://www.goskagit.com/all_access/...cle_d8a7474d-d575-57af-858e-7a28acc23bfa.html

tannerwaterbury

BURLINGTON — For more than 65 years, Kesselring Gun Shop has sold firearms to the hunters, collectors and protectors among us.
But starting Oct. 1, the family-owned shop will sell firearms no more.
Nobody will say why.
Don Kesselring, reached at his shop by phone Wednesday, said he had made a deal with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Part of the deal means not talking about why his business lost its license.

http://www.goskagit.com/all_access/...cle_d8a7474d-d575-57af-858e-7a28acc23bfa.html

Probably forgot to pay the Government thugs' protection money.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, in 1995 or 1996, the ATF tried to make the same deal with me .. claiming I'd be going to prison for the rest of my natural life and whats nots...I said NO DEAL...kept my license and continued on w/o further issues...like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etEChP92A0s

Now in 1995 or 1996, they scared many to give up their license. My neighbor gave up his, and his neighbor (I had many neighbors with ffls).

Why these guys gave up their license is unknown ... you can file a FOI request if one is curious.

Last edited:

Dave in Edmonds

They stated on their FB page that they are "voluntarily surrendering" their FFL. The scuttlebutt in the area is that there were a lot of discrepancies in their last two BATFE paperwork audits.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If they are "voluntarily" giving it up then I would think that they can reapply at a later date. Versus having it stripped and fighting it in US District Court and losing.

amlevin

If they are "voluntarily" giving it up then I would think that they can reapply at a later date. Versus having it stripped and fighting it in US District Court and losing.

According to the FB posting they fought hard through the administrative process.

There's a major issue here that nobody wants to talk publicly about. Their license had never been properly transferred to the operating family member for one thing. Those who've been in contact with the owner and others have found that it was a whole list of issues.

Anyone whose ever shopped there has probably noticed the lax security of all the firearms out on the floor. Easy to visualize how an AR or two might have "walked out" on a busy Saturday. BATFE doesn't seem to differentiate whether a firearm was Stolen, Misplaced, or Illegally Sold. If it's history isn't spelled out in the book it's a violation and enough of them usually ends in loss of license.

According to other information posted a family member will resume selling firearms at their new location with range in Burlington. The old location will remain an accessories, parts, and ammo store.

With all the current events you can pretty much bet that the BATFE will be cracking down on on ALL FFL's who have gaps in their records.

GoGo, didn't that happen with your old employer?

amlevin

Yes and a whole host of other issues. Some of these owners are so casual and just don't get it. Bill and I fixed the issue but it was too late....

Considering that Kesselring's has been around since 1947, and through 3 generations with a 4th generation working in the Store, no doubt there has been an accumulation of issues which often add up to one huge one.

The average individual has no idea how many firearms they have/had in that small store. Last I heard they had over 2K to sell off from an inventory that was at one time more than 4k.

I'm going to miss their "contract overrun's" on pistols they brought in to fill PD orders. The Sig I carry is one of those.