Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Sharpton's goons in Michigan

Al Sharpton's goons in Michigan

Anyone else going? I will be busy at our annual meeting.

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganOpe...if_t=notify_me
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I'm very happy the nearest one to me is about 2 hours away. I wouldn't want to be any closer than 2 hours away.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Thumbs down

What would be the purpose of injecting WHITE ARMED PEOPLE into one of their protests? Even they (National Action Network) are entitled to their right to peaceful assembly and to speak freely.(1A) This and the fact that they have chosen Federal property to hold these events at makes it at best a risky venture with nothing but bad PR to be gained in my opinion. I see in my mind 20-30 people in front of these buildings/events if their lucky. Why bother with them, as the only thing that would get us any press attention would be a fight/attack or worse.

Just my honest opinion - your's may vary?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-19-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Clarity
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    What would be the purpose of injecting WHITE ARMED PEOPLE into one of their protests? Even they (National Action Network) are entitled to their right to peaceful assembly and to speak freely.(1A) This and the fact that they have chosen Federal property to hold these events at makes it at best a risky venture with nothing but bad PR to be gained in my opinion. I see in my mind 20-30 people in front of these buildings/events if their lucky. Why bother with them, as the only thing that would get us any press attention would be a fight/attack or worse.

I'd go if I wasn't busy. Nothing wrong with a peaceful, respectful, distant counter-protest. We did it to the moms this spring. Not to mention, not all people on this site are white or even men. Please check your racial and sexual assumptions at the door.

It is true the 2A movement is composed mostly of Caucasian men. The only way we'll change that is if we stop repeating the stereotype ourselves. Us saying it makes others feel unwelcome.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Tomorrow in Detroit. I wonder where the city will get the money to pay the police, fireman and EMT's etc to cover this event.

Detroit declared BK today. First major city in the country's history to do so. A horrible city.

18 billion in debt.

Best regards

CCJ
    Last edited by countryclubjoe; 07-20-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Tomorrow in Detroit. I wonder where the city will get the money to pay the police, fireman and EMT's etc to cover this event.

Detroit declared BK today. First major city in the country's history to do so. A horrible city.

18 billion in debt.

Best regards

CCJ
    I am not sure what constitutes a major city but I believe Stockton, CA with a population of just shy of 300k declared bankruptcy last year.

Oh I just saw you are from New Jersey, and you talk about Detroit. That is some funny stuff right there.
    Last edited by wizzi01; 07-20-2013 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    I am not sure what constitutes a major city but I believe Stockton, CA with a population of just shy of 300k declared bankruptcy last year.

Oh I just saw you are from New Jersey, and you talk about Detroit. That is some funny stuff right there.
    The fact that I am from NJ allows me to talk about only 1 city. Hence that city is Detroit. Enjoy your stay.

CCJ

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    The fact that I am from NJ allows me to talk about only 1 city. Hence that city is Detroit. Enjoy your stay.

CCJ
    No it doesn't allow you to talk about Detroit when you have cities that have worse crime then Detroit. The only difference is they can't be measured in per 100,000 like Detroit so they stay off those records.

Re: Al Sharpton's goons in Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I'd go if I wasn't busy. Nothing wrong with a peaceful, respectful, distant counter-protest. We did it to the moms this spring. Not to mention, not all people on this site are white or even men. Please check your racial and sexual assumptions at the door.

It is true the 2A movement is composed mostly of Caucasian men. The only way we'll change that is if we stop repeating the stereotype ourselves. Us saying it makes others feel unwelcome.
    Please - you of all people should have understood my point! SPIN Mr. Spinmaster. This is a no win in the media. It will make counter protestors look like ghouls celebrating a black youths death in the main stream press, you know this, which really makes me wonder what the heck you're thinking? It's a moot point anways as you won't be there and I seriously doubt any others who oppose gun control will be either. Your thin attempt above is laughable. You / our MOC membership is 90% white male members, do you dispute this? So yes we do need to get those of color and women onboard too. Tell me, exactly how many MOC events are taking place in Detroit on a yearly basis?
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-20-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Please - you of all people should have understood my point! SPIN Mr. Spinmaster. This is a no win in the media. It will make counter protestors look like ghouls celebrating a black youths death in the main stream press, you know this, which really makes me wonder what the heck you're thinking? It's a moot point anways as you won't be there and I seriously doubt any others who oppose gun control will be either. Your thin attempt above is laughable. You / our MOC membership is 90% white male members, do you dispute this? So yes we do need to get those of color and women onboard too. Tell me, exactly how many MOC events are taking place in Detroit on a yearly basis?
    Is that an offer to set one up?
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Sure I'll help with funding it Ezerharden. Maybe a picnic in Detroit? Hart Plaza, Belle Isle. Tell me what items you need & I'll send you or Onnie the funds. You are less "southwest" than me.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 07-21-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    I am sure the guy in Az will happily fly into the D to set this up, he is Mr MoneyBags after all

On a serious note however I would suggest a picnic or some other event at Martin Luther King Park in Grand Rapids here
    Last edited by Raggs; 07-21-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I am sure the guy in Az will happily fly into the D to set this up, he is Mr MoneyBags after all

On a serious note however I would suggest a picnic or some other event at Martin Luther King Park in Grand Rapids here
    Far from it. However - I will always put my money where my mouth is. Grand Rapids is sorely in need of more exposure to lawful OC from what I've read in the papers online. +1 for the suggestion.

Jeff,

I don't manage events in the metro area...especially from Lansing. We have a regional team that works on that. If you know a restaurant in the D that would welcome us, contact seregion@miopencarry.org and I'm sure out team will be happy to set it up. If they don't, I or Adam will.

Funny thing is, every time I ask for a restaurant suggestion, only the crickets answer. Will this time be any different?

How would countering this be any different than countering the mom's rally?
    Last edited by TheQ; 07-21-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Jeff,

I don't manage events in the metro area...especially from Lansing. We have a regional team that works on that. If you know a restaurant in the D that would welcome us, contact seregion@miopencarry.org and I'm sure out team will be happy to set it up. If they don't, I or Adam will.

Funny thing is, every time I ask for a restaurant suggestion, only the crickets answer. Will this time be any different?

Last Michigan Open Carry, Inc event held in the D was the 2011 tree lighting. 5 people showed. The attendance may have something to do with it. I was there, you still lived in MI at the time but the funny thing is I don't recall you being there, Jeff. Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Because I was in the Hospital A$$hole fighting cancer.

Jeff,

The more well attended events in DETROIT have always been outdoors. Don't know why, it just is. Picnics are the way to go there in my honest opinion. Plenty of areas to have one: Belle Isle, etc...

To your other question - mom's rally was about gun control directly.

NAN - rally is in protest to what they see as a unjust verdict and a black teen being killed. Gun control is not their direct objective.

The more well attended events in DETROIT have always been outdoors. Don't know why, it just is. Picnics are the way to go there in my honest opinion. Plenty of areas to have one: Belle Isle, etc...
    The tree lighting was outdoors....

To your other question - mom's rally was about gun control directly.

NAN - rally is in protest to what they see as a unjust verdict and a black teen being killed. Gun control is not their direct objective.
    They want to eliminate SYG. I'd say the impacts gun activist, wouldn't you?

The tree lighting was outdoors....

This was right after the then president of a MOC had been in the news for personal issues. IIRC? Factor that and the very cold weather (below freezing), how many people did you honestly expect to show. Keep playing games Phil, you're digging yourself in deeper...

This was right after the then president of a MOC had been in the news for personal issues. IIRC? Factor that and the very cold weather (below freezing), how many people did you honestly expect to show. Keep playing games Phil, you're digging yourself in deeper...
    I don't think it was below freezing that day -- but we are all Michiganders and have the ability to "dress warm". Most have heavy winter coats, unlike ppl in AZ?

I'm still waiting for that restaurant suggestion -- or have you emailed the SERegion team a suggestion? Or is it easier to gripe here?

Last edited by TheQ; 07-21-2013 at 03:05 PM.

They want to eliminate SYG. I'd say the impacts gun activist, wouldn't you?

I want my own winning lotto ticket. My chances of getting one pretty slim. However if I can get some group to go on the air and trash me for wanting something unrealistic, people may rally to my aid and send me money to buy said tickets.

My point is (which you fully understand) is you would do more damage to 2A supporters image in the press while rallying NAN's supporters to run to the rescue. Is that what you're trying to do? Sure seems like it. Good thing you were at a picnic instead. Hey did the normal dozen people show up?

I don't think it was below freezing that day -- but we are all Michiganders and have the ability to "dress warm". Most have heavy winter coats, unlike ppl in AZ?

I'm still waiting for that restaurant suggestion -- or have you emailed the SERegion team a suggestion? Or is it easier to gripe here?

Again you hope that one can't be found. I and others see your true self shining through as always. Their have been indoor events they are always less attended, which seems to be what you want. ???

I want my own winning lotto ticket. My chances of getting one pretty slim. However if I can get some group to go on the air and trash me for wanting something unrealistic, people may rally to my aid and send me money to buy said tickets.

My point is (which you fully understand) is you would do more damage to 2A supporters image in the press while rallying NAN's supporters to run to the rescue. Is that what you're trying to do? Sure seems like it. Good thing you were at a picnic instead. Hey did the normal dozen people show up?
    I fail to see the difference between Al's group and the moms. Maybe you could make it clear for me in black and white? Both are trying to do things MOC actively opposes:

Limit magazine sizes, semi-auto rifles
    Repeal Stand Your ground.

Funny thing is, SYG was never raised in the Zimmerman case.
    Last edited by TheQ; 07-21-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast