• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When has an "assault rifle" & "High-Capacity" Magazines been used in self-defense

exelci

When has an "assault rifle" & "High-Capacity" Magazines been used in self-defense

i ran in to this video on youtube, it has some real self defense clips from news segments & an interview with FBIagents from the 1986 miami shooting.

Admin feel free to delete if troll.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMx3Z5EbQQ

davidmcbeth

Banned
There have instances in the 70's and 80's where citizens lent their personal ARs to cops in situations like bank robberies ...

eye95

This video should be required viewing every few months. At about 4:30 into the video, Ms. Hupp talks about using so-called "assault rifles" for self-defense.

The rest of the video is instructive also.

[video=youtube;WznSA4EU1Gk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WznSA4EU1Gk[/video]

bob888

There have instances in the 70's and 80's where citizens lent their personal ARs to cops in situations like bank robberies ...

One of these instances was the infamous North Hollywood Shootout where a civilian owners of a nearby sporting goods store leant his high-powered semi-automatic rifles to the LEOs who really needed to penertate the body armors of both BGs.

Also, after the Rodney King verdict was rendered, rioters started to move in to the Koreatown area of Los Angeles. Those Korean shopkeepers were forced to arm themselves to the keel...with some of them alleging to have used automatic weapons.

davidmcbeth

Banned

papa bear

first off there is no such thing as an "assault rifle" the only things that might be called such are select fire(fullauto) rifles used by the military. they are Modern Sporting Rifles (MSR) usefully in semi-auto fire, and single shot.

there are several stories in this country where teens had used MSR against multiple intruders.

sheeple like Morgan the moron, wouldn't even know how to drive to work. that why they have an armed driver for him

bob888

first off there is no such thing as an "assault rifle"....

I agree. If you think about it, all rifles and other firearms can be termed with "assault". The rilfe can be used to shoot someone. Also, it can be used to jab someone (using the business end) or strike someone (grab it by the barrel and Babe Ruth the opponent).

Try explaining this clarification to neo-liberal progressives. All they do is parrot talking points using mindless drivel delivered by anti-gun pundits in politics and in the media.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

The bottom line, IMO, is that a distinction between assault rifles and sporting or hunting rifles is irrelevant, because it's a constitutionally protected right for a citizen to own and bear either.

To say a citizen "shouldn't need" one because of it's intended use, which is stated to be killing other human beings, is only applicable to military personnel is incorrect on several fronts. First of all, citizen participation in national defense is legitimate, probably more so than standing military. Second, I'd say killing other human beings is not the intended use. I'd say stopping human aggressors is the intended use, as that's generally the justification for warfare, right? In that case, the same applies to self defense as it does to warfare (in my opinion, with principles of liberty in mind), and in a case of self defense, it's legitimate to use a tool designed for the job. Why would you try to use a tool to stop a human aggressor that was designed for harvesting deer? That makes no sense. To stop a human aggressor, use a tool that was designed to stop a human aggressor.

I too have heard of at least one instance of home defense using a semi-auto rifle. It was actually a YouTube video of the home owner's security cameras. Never saw an official report of any kind, so I just assume it was legit self/home defense.

mtlhdtodd

1992 LA during the Rodney King riots. Guess whose businesses were not touched during this?
58852252.jpg

Aknazer

In regards to "hich capacity magazines" (really just "normal capacity" where normal is greater than 10) all you have to do is look at the gun used and which state it was used in. Once you know those two things you can figure out what the gun's standard magazine size is to determine if it is a 10+ rd mag. Note that this will be most handguns that aren't revolvers or pocket pistols along with pretty much any rifle that could be classified as a "modern sporting rifle."

OCbaldguy

I can't find the article but as recent as 3 to 4 months ago there was a college student that used his AR to deter a pair of would be thieves that had broken into his apartment and started assaulting his room mate, iirc. Rifle didn't have a mag in it, but just the sight of it scared the guys off.

eye95

That is the most dangerous feature of the AR and why the antis hate it so much.

It looks scary.

That being said, in all seriousness, never threaten someone with an unloaded gun. Doing so make work against idiots, and yes, most thugs are idiots. However, if you run across a thug with a modicum of intelligence, he will likely take the gun away from you, beat you with it, and keep it--unless he just shoots you with his own loaded piece and, again, takes the gun from you, keeping it for himself.

If you are going to use a gun for self-defense, load it before you threaten the BGs with it, preferably by having kept your self-defense piece loaded routinely.

The other possibility is to turn the gun around and start beating the BG about the head with it. Personally, I find shooting them to be more effective. So does Z.

OCbaldguy

A 6" GP100 would hurt quite a bit if you threw it at them though. That's only if you run out of bullets, or are a liberal and don't keep it loaded.

MyWifeSaidYes

When a word is used too much, it loses its meaning.

I suggest we embrace "assault" and use it for absolutely everything, a la Smurfs.

I'm making my assault lunch right now on my assault stove. As soon as I put it on my assault plate, I will eat it with my assault fork.

(If you've ever had a meal with me, you know the assault fork part is not a joke!)

Afterwards, I shall assault my dishes with water in my assault dishwasher, then store them in my assault cupboard. While there, I will take out an assault glass and pour myself some assault water.

Then I will sit at my assault computer and read some assault email and assault the assault web sites (that could be taken wrong, huh?)

Okay, I give up. The assault on certain keys on my keyboard is too much.

The moral of this story? When you have lunch with an anti-gunner, it's okay to spill the assault.

:p

OCbaldguy

I do think people are picking that up. There was an article on our local news showing a video of 2 eagles battling it out in the Puget Sound. More than one comment was "ban assault eagles." I've seen it for assault kitchen knives, assault hammers, assault squirrels, etc. It doesn't get old for me.