• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois residents wants to be allowed to publicly carry (OC) firearms immediately

kurt555gs

E6, non residents get exactly the same protection as FOID card holders because of People v McDade. Go to the Illinois state police website -> Firearms / FOID -> How to legally transport your firearm in Illinois. Read.

WakingWolf for us Illinois residents it's unloaded and enclosed in a case, or nothing. However WW, you are right about an unloaded gun being useless in a stress situation.

Soylent Green is made out of people.

Last edited:

E6chevron

E6, non residents get exactly the same protection as FOID card holders because of People v McDade. Go to the Illinois state police website -> Firearms / FOID -> How to legally transport your firearm in Illinois. Read.

WakingWolf for us Illinois residents it's unloaded and enclosed in a case, or nothing. However WW, you are right about an unloaded gun being useless in a stress situation.

Soylent Green is made out of people.

I went to the Illinois State Police web site, and read about the Illinois municipalities with firearms ordinances:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/ordinances.cfm

Now the municipalities do not have to submit the ordinances until 6 months after they are effective, so the list could be up to 6 months old. But it shows 45 municipalities now.

===================

I looked at the brochure from the state police regarding firearms transportation:
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

I particularly like this question and answer...

HOW DO I TRANSPORT A FIREARM
THROUGH AN ILLINOIS COMMUNITY WITH AN
ORDINANCE THAT PROHIBITS FIREARMS OR
HANDGUNS?

Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not
preempt local ordinances from banning fi rearms.
Persons carrying or transporting fi rearms through
such communities could be subject to local fi rearm
ordinances.
It is recommended that you contact local
authorities regarding their fi rearm ordinances.

================

I'm looking forward to the cite about People v. Mcdade court decision

kurt555gs

All municipal laws regarding transportation are now void after the passage of PA 098-0063 ( 430 ILCS 65/13.1 ) b.

There is total state wide preemption on the transportation of firearms.

The ISP needs to update their website.

You will see that non residents are treated the same as residents with a FOID card in that ISP .PDF file.

Did you find the McDade cite yet E6? Need help?

Carthago Delenda Est

Last edited:

E6chevron

This is the Illinois state police CCW FAQ page:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

I found this question and answer interesting...

Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?

No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

I still have not seen any citations that give me a good feeling about the total preemptions of local firearm transportation ordinances. The cites I have seen/found, indicate otherwise.

Last edited:

kurt555gs

PA 098-0063 ( 430 ILCS 65/13.1 paragraph (b).

Total state wide preemption on the regulation of handguns and the transportation of all firearms.

Part of the concealed carry bill that just went into law a few weeks ago.

People vs McDade gave us three things. First the rear center console in a car is a "case" the same as the front one in Diggins. Two, opening a "case" momentarily to check that the firearm is unloaded is not a violation. And third, non residents are to be treated the same as residents with a FOID card. Now non residents that can carry a firearm in public in their own state can carry loaded anywhere in a vehicle in Illinois as a bonus.

Carthago Delenda Est

Last edited:

E6chevron

Here is the citation to:

On July 9, 2013, Public Act 98-63, the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, became state law (430 ILCS 66).

You may view the full text of the law at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf

for those who want to review the FCCA for themselves.

----------------------------

I'm still waiting for the cite to this case about People v. McDade. Haven't seen a quote from the decision, let alone what court it was from.