• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ORC 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

eye95

What is wrong with it?

They have broken out the categories weapons so that they can more easily write separate exceptions and assign separate consequences for each of the three no-person-shalls.

Suckerspawn

What is wrong with it?

They have broken out the categories weapons so that they can more easily write separate exceptions and assign separate consequences for each of the three no-person-shalls.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, (2) a handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

I'm trying to make sense of it.

eye95

Some handguns are dangerous ordnances (e.g. a Glock with a 33-round magazine in it). Section A(2) bars only concealment of handguns that are not also dangerous ordnances. Section A(3) bars concealment of dangerous ordnances. They break these categories out because there are defenses to the violation in A(2) that cannot be used as a defense to A(3).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

MyWifeSaidYes

Another example would be a pistol with a built-in suppressor.

Since this handgun would be classified as a dangerous ordnance because of the suppressor, it's not a 'handgun other than a dangerous ordnance'.

Yet another example is a Glock 18.

Federal laws notwithstanding, because the Glock 18 is select-fire (full-auto capable), it is a dangerous ordnance. That means it's not a 'handgun other than a dangerous ordnance'.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Thanks for the explanation - I'll admit I stumbled over that wording a number of times and hadn't been able to make sense of it. Probably one of the many reasons I'm "Just a Shooter" and not a lawyer, etc. :)