Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMH: The things you hear

SMH: The things you hear

Been discussing various aspects of SYG and the Zimmerman/Martin case via social media. Encountered one fellow who chose to bolster his creds by posting thusly:

"As for my knowledge of concealed carry laws, I'm beyond informed. I'm a licensed carry holder, I have extensive firearms training, my father is a former firearms instructor, I know my material sir."

A mutual friend chipped in with, umm you have to be 21 to have a license... To which he replied:

"I have an "exceptions" license, which, nonetheless, requires the EXACT same training and requirements as a standard license. So basically, it just means I can carry at a younger age than 21."

Of course, after I got done laughing, I politely informed him he was incorrect, and asked for a cite to the Code of Virginia. I'm still waiting for that reply.

TFred

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Maybe the Accomack Clerk is issuing them?

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    "As for my knowledge of concealed carry laws, I'm beyond informed. I'm a licensed carry holder, I have extensive firearms training, my father is a former firearms instructor, I know my material sir."

Could have passed for a few of the people on this site and some others on which I ride. Good thing you explained the circumstances.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member
    What does "SMH" mean?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    What does "SMH" mean?
    Shaking My Head... Gotta keep up with the new vocabs dude!

TFred

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Shaking My Head... Gotta keep up with the new vocabs dude!

TFred
    IGS. TY. IDNKT.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    IGS. TY. IDNKT.
    TTTT YYD
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I'd sure love to see a photo of that permit, as I'm sure others would also. Maybe he has an out of state permit, which I doubt would have reciprocity in VA. Maybe his Sheriff gave him a badge? Maybe he carries a copy of the 2A around in his wallet. Maybe he has a class completion cert. Oh and you might remind him that in VA (assuming that's his place of residence) issues permits, not licenses. Lastly, I give serious doubt to anyone under the age of 21 who classes himself an "expert."
    Last edited by paramedic70002; 07-22-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Been discussing various aspects of SYG and the Zimmerman/Martin case via social media. Encountered one fellow who chose to bolster his creds by posting thusly:

A mutual friend chipped in with, umm you have to be 21 to have a license... To which he replied:

"I have an "exceptions" license, which, nonetheless, requires the EXACT same training and requirements as a standard license. So basically, it just means I can carry at a younger age than 21."

Of course, after I got done laughing, I politely informed him he was incorrect, and asked for a cite to the Code of Virginia. I'm still waiting for that reply.

TFred

While I believe this person is covered in bull feces.

They could be a mail carrier, the habormaster of the city of Hopewell, a correctional officer/guard at
    a state correctional institute or a non custodial employee designated to carry a firearm, a deputy sheriff or assistant attorney for the commonwealth.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Maybe the Accomack Clerk is issuing them?

What does "SYG" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    What does "SYG" mean?
    SYG = Stand Your Ground.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

I just got my "exceptions permit":

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    While I believe this person is covered in bull feces.

They could be a mail carrier, the habormaster of the city of Hopewell, a correctional officer/guard at
    a state correctional institute or a non custodial employee designated to carry a firearm
    , a deputy sheriff or assistant attorney for the commonwealth.
    FIFY. Got to be 21 to be hired in either of those positions, and I'm pretty sure most Sheriffs want their deputies to be at least 21.

Can't be the Harbormaster of Hopewell cause he's a deputy sheriff most of the time. http://www.hopewellnews.com/news/exe...1152&printer=1

The Hopewell News & hopewellnews.com

Local News
    New harbor master chosen
    By Ken Munson
    Jun 15, 2007, 08:54

After a long wait, Hopewell's Port & Dock Commission has finally chosen its new harbor master, sheriff's deputy Dave Silvestro.
    Silvestro was sworn in by Judge Sam Campbell at a surprisingly well-attended ceremony at the city courthouse. All seats were filled, including the jury box, a pleasant surprise for Silvestro, who was accompanied by his father Larry and son Brayden.
    "I didn't know there was this much interest in the harbor master," said Campbell before swearing in the deputy to his new position.
    Included in the ceremony was a reception for the attendees and a presentation of joke gifts for the new harbor master, including water toys, floaties and a pink T-shirt emblazoned "Harbor Master."
    Previously, the role had been held by interim police chief James Stanley, following a decision by the city council saying that the harbor master must be the chief of police. That decision was later amended by the council to make the position available to any candidate qualified in law enforcement.
    Because of that, the Port & Dock Commission was free to open up the hiring process. They eventually chose Deputy Silvestro, who was praised by Sheriff Greg Anderson as hard-working and passionate about his job. Silvestro also received praise from former Harbor Master Craig Gilkison.
    From what the OP has provided, he does not talk like an attorney. No obfuscation or histrionics. Also awfully young to have graduated from law school, passed the bar, and convinced a Commonwealth Attorney he will not totally embarass the office and ruin his chances for re-election.

So that leave being a mail carrier.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Exceptions Permit

Alright, that's it!!!

I'm gonna have to make shrimp and beef burritos for lunch. (I make a mean chipotle mayonnaise.)

Re: SMH: The things you hear

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I just got my "exceptions permit":

Lmao...Why didn't I think of this when it comes to the wife!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    FIFY. Got to be 21 to be hired in either of those positions, and I'm pretty sure most Sheriffs want their deputies to be at least 21.

Can't be the Harbormaster of Hopewell cause he's a deputy sheriff most of the time. http://www.hopewellnews.com/news/exe...1152&printer=1

From what the OP has provided, he does not talk like an attorney. No obfuscation or histrionics. Also awfully young to have graduated from law school, passed the bar.

stay safe.
    FCA....(Future Chippers of America)

I know that Suffolk PD used to hire at 19, that was 20 or so years ago. One cop I knew had to get his mom to buy his practice ammo.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Maybe he has one of them nifty Concealed Carry Badges! Even better if it's in a custom wallet thingy!

Person in question never responded to my inquiry. I'm guessing that tells us everything we need to know.

TFred

Person in question never responded to my inquiry. I'm guessing that tells us everything we need to know.

TFred
    Maybe he is still cleaning up the attic and hasn't been back on-line yet - not all drive-bys live in the basement

TFred
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troll.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	10679

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I give serious doubt to anyone under the age of 21 who classes himself an "expert."
    I give serious doubt to anyone of ANY AGE who self-classifies.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Heard this one yet?

I was told today that if you have a CHP you cannot open carry anymore.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast