• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SMH: The things you hear

TFred

Been discussing various aspects of SYG and the Zimmerman/Martin case via social media. Encountered one fellow who chose to bolster his creds by posting thusly:

"As for my knowledge of concealed carry laws, I'm beyond informed. I'm a licensed carry holder, I have extensive firearms training, my father is a former firearms instructor, I know my material sir."

A mutual friend chipped in with, umm you have to be 21 to have a license... To which he replied:

"I have an "exceptions" license, which, nonetheless, requires the EXACT same training and requirements as a standard license. So basically, it just means I can carry at a younger age than 21."

Of course, after I got done laughing, I politely informed him he was incorrect, and asked for a cite to the Code of Virginia. I'm still waiting for that reply.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

TFred

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
"As for my knowledge of concealed carry laws, I'm beyond informed. I'm a licensed carry holder, I have extensive firearms training, my father is a former firearms instructor, I know my material sir."

Could have passed for a few of the people on this site and some others on which I ride. Good thing you explained the circumstances.

paramedic70002

I'd sure love to see a photo of that permit, as I'm sure others would also. Maybe he has an out of state permit, which I doubt would have reciprocity in VA. Maybe his Sheriff gave him a badge? Maybe he carries a copy of the 2A around in his wallet. Maybe he has a class completion cert. Oh and you might remind him that in VA (assuming that's his place of residence) issues permits, not licenses. Lastly, I give serious doubt to anyone under the age of 21 who classes himself an "expert."

Last edited:

Marco

Been discussing various aspects of SYG and the Zimmerman/Martin case via social media. Encountered one fellow who chose to bolster his creds by posting thusly:

A mutual friend chipped in with, umm you have to be 21 to have a license... To which he replied:

"I have an "exceptions" license, which, nonetheless, requires the EXACT same training and requirements as a standard license. So basically, it just means I can carry at a younger age than 21."

Of course, after I got done laughing, I politely informed him he was incorrect, and asked for a cite to the Code of Virginia. I'm still waiting for that reply.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

TFred

While I believe this person is covered in bull feces.

They could be a mail carrier, the habormaster of the city of Hopewell, a correctional officer/guard at
a state correctional institute or a non custodial employee designated to carry a firearm, a deputy sheriff or assistant attorney for the commonwealth.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While I believe this person is covered in bull feces.

They could be a mail carrier, the habormaster of the city of Hopewell, [strike]a correctional officer/guard at
a state correctional institute or a non custodial employee designated to carry a firearm[/strike], a deputy sheriff or assistant attorney for the commonwealth.

FIFY. Got to be 21 to be hired in either of those positions, and I'm pretty sure most Sheriffs want their deputies to be at least 21.

Can't be the Harbormaster of Hopewell cause he's a deputy sheriff most of the time. http://www.hopewellnews.com/news/exec/view.pl?archive=2&num=1152&printer=1

The Hopewell News & hopewellnews.com

Local News
New harbor master chosen
By Ken Munson
Jun 15, 2007, 08:54

After a long wait, Hopewell's Port & Dock Commission has finally chosen its new harbor master, sheriff's deputy Dave Silvestro.
Silvestro was sworn in by Judge Sam Campbell at a surprisingly well-attended ceremony at the city courthouse. All seats were filled, including the jury box, a pleasant surprise for Silvestro, who was accompanied by his father Larry and son Brayden.
"I didn't know there was this much interest in the harbor master," said Campbell before swearing in the deputy to his new position.
Included in the ceremony was a reception for the attendees and a presentation of joke gifts for the new harbor master, including water toys, floaties and a pink T-shirt emblazoned "Harbor Master."
Previously, the role had been held by interim police chief James Stanley, following a decision by the city council saying that the harbor master must be the chief of police. That decision was later amended by the council to make the position available to any candidate qualified in law enforcement.
Because of that, the Port & Dock Commission was free to open up the hiring process. They eventually chose Deputy Silvestro, who was praised by Sheriff Greg Anderson as hard-working and passionate about his job. Silvestro also received praise from former Harbor Master Craig Gilkison.

From what the OP has provided, he does not talk like an attorney. No obfuscation or histrionics. Also awfully young to have graduated from law school, passed the bar, and convinced a Commonwealth Attorney he will not totally embarass the office and ruin his chances for re-election.

So that leave being a mail carrier.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Exceptions Permit

51g2Rd4iZgL._SX450_.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
FIFY. Got to be 21 to be hired in either of those positions, and I'm pretty sure most Sheriffs want their deputies to be at least 21.

Can't be the Harbormaster of Hopewell cause he's a deputy sheriff most of the time. http://www.hopewellnews.com/news/exec/view.pl?archive=2&num=1152&printer=1

From what the OP has provided, he does not talk like an attorney. No obfuscation or histrionics. Also awfully young to have graduated from law school, passed the bar.

stay safe.

FCA....(Future Chippers of America):banana: