Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cpl badge

cpl badge

A good friend of mine just recently got a cpl badge for when he carrys like this one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_concealed_weapon_permit_badge_gold.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	10647

His thing is if he gets in a defensive situation and when LEOs respond they see his badge that indicates he's a cpl holder so he don't get drawn on or shot. And also he feels as if people will leave him be if they sae a badge.

Heres my thing. Its a great idea. My only worry would be getting jammed up for impersonation of a police officer. I'd like to hear how everyone else feels about this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tnhandgunbadge2.JPG 
Views:	2068 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	10646  

Re: cpl badge

BADGES? WE don't need no stinking badges!

Lol I think they are ridiculous and stupid but that's me.

Campaign Veteran
    It's way too much like impersonating an officer.

Why would it give a bad guy pause? Because he thinks you might be a cop. That's impersonating an officer.

If the state issued a badge with every CPL or offered it as an option, that's another story. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Long discussed here on OpenCarryDotOrg and universally rejected. The search function is your friend.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 07-21-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    It's way too much like impersonating an officer.

Why would it give a bad guy pause? Because he thinks you might be a cop. That's impersonating an officer.

If the state issued a badge with every CPL or offered it as an option, that's another story. But that's not what we're talking about here.
    Yes, i think its a good thought but i feel the same as you. It seems like a easy way to get jammed up a sticky situation. I wouldn't carry a badge if it was even a option by the state. It defeats the purpose of educating the public that an everyday average joe can carry a firearm. Not just the guys with a badge.

As others have posted, this topic comes up, again and again & is always rejected as a bad idea. To appear as a "LEO" when you are not, is a great way to get charged with a felony in MI. Maybe your friend could just laminate his NRA class certificate and wear that around his neck?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    .....And also he feels as if people will leave him be if they sae a badge.
    OC the gun and forget the badge FTW. An OC'd gun is a lot more of a deterrent than a badge + CC gun IMO.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

I'm sorry that screams "wanna-be cop"

A person that has a carry permit is just a normal citizen, nothing more, they just happen to have a gun. To put on a badge is frankly childish feeling that they are somehow special, saying "look at me".

Quote Originally Posted by spikedzombies View Post
    BADGES? .........NO
    Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    ......No
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Long discussed .........No
    Quote Originally Posted by pawn99 View Post
    ........No
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    As others have posted, .......No
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    OC the gun and forget the badge ......No
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    I'm sorry that screams "wanna-be cop"......No

See a trend here? We are not saying don't do it. We are saying It is not a good idea. just makes money for the badge makers.
    Last edited by MSG Laigaie; 07-21-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelig
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

cpl badge

This topic has been discussed before. The consensus then was: it's stupid.

It's refreshing to see so e things don't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I think the CCW sash is a much better option and way more classy
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix David View Post
    I think the CCW sash is a much better option and way more classy
    Agreed and the matching Top hat is a must have.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

cpl badge

Everything said here has already been said here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...e-legal-Or-not

Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Everything said here has already been said here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...e-legal-Or-not

Thank Mr. Necro thread Nazi...

cpl badge

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Thank Mr. Necro thread Nazi...
    I considered bumping it, but thought better of it.

cpl badge

I looked at these at the gun expo and laughed..

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Banned

cpl badge

Geez, everyone took my answers:

Cop wannabe.

Just OC and forget the badge.

And the classic:

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.

Can someone start another thread on CHL badges so I can post these lines before anyone else does?

Or, we could do a top ten list. Those are 3-2-1, but what are 10 thru 4?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    It can be against the law to use the state seal w/o proper authority. That is so in Va. and that appears to be the case for Tennesse also.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Tennessee

Click to enlarge picture.

On OCDO we have a rule against illegal acts:
    (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY
    : Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Concealed carry badges and other non-state approved badges send a false impression that violates the tenets of OCDO. We wish to educate and defend everyday carry of holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives. We do not make any excuses or apologize and most certainly do not pretend to be something we are not.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-22-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The last time I carried a gun with a badge I was probably 7 years-old. Granted it was a cap gun and plastic badge.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Red face

I vote no on the badge.

I had to wear one as a Correction Officer and when I worked as a Federal Security Officer and I don't miss the badge nor the vest....lol

P.S. I kept the handcuffs though but that is another story..

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I vote no on the badge.

I had to wear one as a Correction Officer and when I worked as a Federal Security Officer and I don't miss the badge nor the vest....lol

P.S. I kept the handcuffs though but that is another story..
    Fur covered

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It can be against the law to use the state seal w/o proper authority. That is so in Va. and that appears to be the case for Tennesse also.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Tennessee

Click to enlarge picture.

On OCDO we have a rule against illegal acts:
    (15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY
    : Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Concealed carry badges and other non-state approved badges send a false impression that violates the tenets of OCDO. We wish to educate and defend everyday carry of holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives. We do not make any excuses or apologize and most certainly do not pretend to be something we are not.
    Where in the website you gave a link to does it state using the TN seal without proper "authority" is against the law? Only thing I read was that the State government uses it on official papers and so forth.

Also, could you please cite the law that makes it a crime to use the state seal of Virginia? Being as it is the People's state, that seems crazy. Not that I don't believe you but I would like to research this for myself.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 07-22-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Where in the website you gave a link to does it state using the TN seal without proper "authority" is against the law? Only thing I read was that the State government uses it on official papers and so forth.

Also, could you please cite the law that makes it a crime to use the state seal of Virginia? Being as it is the People's state, that seems crazy. Not that I don't believe you but I would like to research this for myself.
    Virginia statute re state seal:
    § 1-505. Seals deemed property of Commonwealth; unauthorized use; penalty.

The seals of the Commonwealth shall be deemed the property of the Commonwealth; and no persons shall exhibit, display, or in any manner utilize the seals or any facsimile or representation of the seals of the Commonwealth for nongovernmental purposes unless such use is specifically authorized by law.
    Except for the authorized commercial use of the seal as provided in § 2.2-122, any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100, or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or both.
    Didn't intend for the link to be a cite - only provided for general info, and I did say "appears to be the case for Tennesse".

Nevertheless consider the following elements and see where it leads you:
    This is a logo of an organization and is protected by copyright.
    This is a logo for the State of Tennessee.
    A small version in proper context might be used in compliance with fair-use.
    Unauthorized use, i.e. commercial use or fraud, would not be fair-use.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

cpl badge

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Virginia statute re state seal:

Didn't intend for the link to be a cite - only provided for general info, and I did say "appears to be the case for Tennesse".

Nevertheless consider the following elements and see where it leads you:
    This is a logo of an organization and is protected by copyright.
    This is a logo for the State of Tennessee.
    A small version in proper context might be used in compliance with fair-use.
    Unauthorized use, i.e. commercial use or fraud, would not be fair-use.
    In Michigan there is a difference between the seal and the coat of arms. Use of the seal is strictly protected. The coat of arms is open for public use.

If you must carry a badge without authority to go with it may I suggest one without sharp edges. It will hurt less when it is shoved up~~~~
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast