• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cpl badge

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It can be against the law to use the state seal w/o proper authority. That is so in Va. and that appears to be the case for Tennesse also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Tennessee

Click to enlarge picture.

On OCDO we have a rule against illegal acts:
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY
: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

Concealed carry badges and other non-state approved badges send a false impression that violates the tenets of OCDO. We wish to educate and defend everyday carry of holstered handguns as we go about our normal everyday lives. We do not make any excuses or apologize and most certainly do not pretend to be something we are not.

Where in the website you gave a link to does it state using the TN seal without proper "authority" is against the law? Only thing I read was that the State government uses it on official papers and so forth.

Also, could you please cite the law that makes it a crime to use the state seal of Virginia? Being as it is the People's state, that seems crazy. Not that I don't believe you but I would like to research this for myself.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Where in the website you gave a link to does it state using the TN seal without proper "authority" is against the law? Only thing I read was that the State government uses it on official papers and so forth.

Also, could you please cite the law that makes it a crime to use the state seal of Virginia? Being as it is the People's state, that seems crazy. Not that I don't believe you but I would like to research this for myself.

Virginia statute re state seal:
§ 1-505. Seals deemed property of Commonwealth; unauthorized use; penalty.

The seals of the Commonwealth shall be deemed the property of the Commonwealth; and no persons shall exhibit, display, or in any manner utilize the seals or any facsimile or representation of the seals of the Commonwealth for nongovernmental purposes unless such use is specifically authorized by law.
Except for the authorized commercial use of the seal as provided in § 2.2-122, any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than $100, or by imprisonment for not more than 30 days or both.

Didn't intend for the link to be a cite - only provided for general info, and I did say "appears to be the case for Tennesse".

Nevertheless consider the following elements and see where it leads you:
This is a logo of an organization and is protected by copyright.
This is a logo for the State of Tennessee.
A small version in proper context might be used in compliance with fair-use.
Unauthorized use, i.e. commercial use or fraud, would not be fair-use.

Last edited:

TheQ

Virginia statute re state seal:

Didn't intend for the link to be a cite - only provided for general info, and I did say "appears to be the case for Tennesse".

Nevertheless consider the following elements and see where it leads you:
This is a logo of an organization and is protected by copyright.
This is a logo for the State of Tennessee.
A small version in proper context might be used in compliance with fair-use.
Unauthorized use, i.e. commercial use or fraud, would not be fair-use.

In Michigan there is a difference between the seal and the coat of arms. Use of the seal is strictly protected. The coat of arms is open for public use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

If you must carry a badge without authority to go with it may I suggest one without sharp edges. It will hurt less when it is shoved up~~~~

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I might see a use for a CPL badge, if I carry concealed. As an avid OCer, I see no use for a CPL badge. And, as it stands, if I really thought I needed a badge while concealing, I'd carry my security badge.

But, really, I see no reason to get one. Unless I was gonna start a collection, and wanted one to go in a display case. :)