• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of 'valid identification'?

JediSkipdogg

Again, folks, this is probably a remnant from when licenses were not IDs. Has anyone here ever been stopped and asked for that second ID???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I've only been stopped while driving but have never even been asked for my CHL.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The term “valid identification” is only referenced in:
Chapter 2923 - Conspiracy, Attempt, And Complicity; Weapons Control; Corrupt Activity.

The term “government-issued identification” is referenced in:
Chapter 1547 - Watercraft and Waterways.
Chapter 3715 - Pure Food and Drug law.
Chapter 4563 Airports.

The term “valid-photo identification” is referenced in:
Chapter 3503 - Voters-Qualifications; Registration.
Chapter 3505 - General and Special Election Ballots.

The only definition in the ORC containing the term identification is under Chapter 3501 referring to the term “Photo identification.”

ORC 3501.01(AA) "Photo identification" means a document that meets each of the following requirements:
(1) It shows the name of the individual to whom it was issued, which shall conform to the name in the poll list or signature pollbook.
(2) It shows the current address of the individual to whom it was issued, which shall conform to the address in the poll list or signature pollbook, except for a driver's license or a state identification card issued under section 4507.50 of the Revised Code, which may show either the current or former address of the individual to whom it was issued, regardless of whether that address conforms to the address in the poll list or signature pollbook.
(3) It shows a photograph of the individual to whom it was issued.
(4) It includes an expiration date that has not passed.
(5) It was issued by the government of the United States or this state.

The Ohio Secretary of State's office said that a current and valid photo identification card issued by the State of Ohio is acceptable. An Ohio concealed carry license is an acceptable form of I.D. to vote because it meets the requirements of ORC 3501.01(AA) as listed above.

ORC 2923.126 says: ...concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.

Since Ohio Secretary of State accepts the concealed carry license because it meets the requirements of being a valid identification for voting purposes. And there is no other ORC definition, including any court cases addressing the subject matter, defining what a valid ID is, then a reasonable conclusion is that the conceal carry license, in of itself, is also a valid identification and serves as such accordingly.

In other words, when carrying concealed, outside of operating a motor vehicle, your CCL also serves as a valid identification.

I would bet an attorney would come to the same conclusion. But, we also know that the courts are unpredictable.

JustaShooter

ORC 2923.126 says: ...concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.

Since Ohio Secretary of State accepts the concealed carry license because it meets the requirements of being a valid identification for voting purposes. And there is no other ORC definition, including any court cases addressing the subject matter, defining what a valid ID is, then a reasonable conclusion is that the conceal carry license, in of itself, is also a valid identification and serves as such accordingly.

In other words, when carrying concealed, outside of operating a motor vehicle, your CCL also serves as a valid identification.

I would bet an attorney would come to the same conclusion. But, we also know that the courts are unpredictable.

If the word "and" did not appear between the phrases "valid license" and "valid identification" I could agree. As it stands, I'm not willing to be the test case.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If the word "and" did not appear between the phrases "valid license" and "valid identification" I could agree. As it stands, I'm not willing to be the test case.
You may want to reconsider your reasoning.

What if the sentence said: ...concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a picture of President Lincoln and a picture of the Lincoln Memorial when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.

Under your logic a $5 dollar bill would not satisfy the wording of sentence.