• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

STILL no RKBA in IL - any challenges from RKBA groups?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why a "short window"? The time frame I'm seeing is NEVER - not now and not when the permission slips are issued.

You don't need a permission slip to exercise a right, and even when the permission slips are finally issued there STILL will be no RKBA in Illinois.

Then what are you waiting for? Start carrying today...suggest you seek out legal advice from attny (disclaimer!)

I carried in IL ... nothing ever happened to me .. the DA would not seek out convictions where I lived.

WalkingWolf

Just like NC(State V Kerner) it will take a court ruling in Illinois for there to be state wide OC. The lobbyists have a vested interest in pay for carry schemes that they will never let go of. The only way Il will relent is kicking and screaming, because it seems the gun owning public will not hold the lobbyists accountable.

Somebody will have to put their foot in the hot water to ever solve this problem.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
In our laws here in Colorado, we have this unique observation:

(d) There exists a widespread inconsistency among jurisdictions within the state with regard to firearms regulations;

(e) This inconsistency among local government laws regulating lawful firearm possession and ownership has extraterritorial impact on state citizens and the general public by subjecting them to criminal and civil penalties in some jurisdictions for conduct wholly lawful in other jurisdictions;

(f) Inconsistency among local governments of laws regulating the possession and ownership of firearms results in persons being treated differently under the law solely on the basis of where they reside, and a person's residence in a particular county or city or city and county is not a rational classification when it is the basis for denial of equal treatment under the law;
-----------------------

Now the reason I am posting this bit of verbage is because I was born and raised in Illinois. I left Illinois for the wider, more friendly territory of Colorado. Yet, I still have a home in Illinois, and would one day love to visit the homestead that I own, but feel am required to surrender my Constitutional and God given right to self defense in order to do so.

Imagine if you will, my typical day. I get up, maybe shower and shave (save optional) and pull on a pair of jeans, a shirt to match my sentiment for the day, don my footwear (either sneakers or western boots) and holster the firearm on my hip. Following any breakfast that may present itself, I'll head out onto the streets of our city and go where I want, do as I please, and mind my own business... all with my firearm secured on my hip. Maybe I have breakfast at the Dennys up the road, or the Village Inn to the west. Perhaps I need to visit the bank and do some transactions. Yeah, we can walk into the bank armed and nobody has a melt down over it. Maybe I visit the WallyWorld nearby, or visit the offices of a few attorneys around town. Perhaps I might trundle myself off to Barnes and Noble to fetch home some reading material. Maybe drop by Mickey-D's for lunch. I might conceal carry, but that's seldom these days, despite having a permission slip. I go where I will, carry as I please, and nobody gives me grief. Nor do they abuse others who exercise their rights under the 2nd Amendment. Every once in awhile, somebody will run crosswise of an LEO, but that's an abberation, certainly not the rule.

Then I contemplate visiting the homestead, which I'd dearly love to do. Can't carry despite a permission slip from Colorado, because Illinois won't recognize that. CAn't carry open even with a permission slip from here, nor a non-resident version from Illinois. Even when travelling through in the car, I'd have to conceal it.

Seems that just ain't right.

So I cannot expect to enjoy the rights guaranteed by the Constitution because conduct wholly lawful in my jurisdiction (Colorado) is nearly totally outlawed in another (Illinois). Doesn't look like Illinois will have a scheme of statewide preemption either, so you end up with a patchwork quilt of different laws across a staggering variety of jurisdictions. How is anybody supposed to abide by that maze of legalistic legerdemain? Hence, there is no real equal treatment under law as required by the U.S. Constitution. Then again, there is no inherent RKBA either.

So, until this gets sorted out, I remain an exile... a prodigal that cannot return without relinquishing my rights as an American citizen. That just ain't right.
Do I cease to be an American by crossing the state line into Illinois? Must I surrender my birthright as an American to visit my homestead?

I know all this will get sorted out eventually... but I'm 64 years old now, and it really ain't a matter of patience. It's about whether I'll ever again see the house of my youth. Until then, I'm effectively victimized by what might be considred "constructive evicition" from the house I own!

Really?
My opinion, and yours may vary... That ain't right!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

SteveInCO

Fancy seeing you all the way over here!

M-T,

Fancy running into you over here; I've been watching the goings on in Illinois because I travel to and through it periodically.

Illinois is better off than us people in Colorado in one minor (but irksome) respect: They did preempt every local law on what sort of pistol you could own and replaced them with, as near as I can tell, nothing. As I understand it, for handguns there is no magazine capacity limit, I could legally purchase replacement mags for my CZ-75 (16 round capacity, just barely evil!) in Illinois but can no longer do so in Colorado (in fact I am wondering if anyone will ever again sell the handgun in Colorado--I guess that depends on whether CZ is willing/able to ship them with hobbled magazines).

You just can't carry the damn thing outside your home. With some work, though, I believe that I was able to legally have it with me in my hotel room on my recent trip.

Running Wolf

Campaign Veteran
BB62 -
It might also take some major screw-ups by certain pompous LEOs (or their departments) to make people get off their backsides and say "Wait a minute!" before they change.
:D

If the people of Illinois were capable of getting off their backsides they wouldn't be in the position they're in now. Sheeple in Chicago and the northern suburbs will believe anything while patting themselves on the back for their "independent thinking."