• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry on Washington Metropolitan Area Metro

cirrusly

IMG_4573.jpg

Who here actively OCs on the Washington Metropolitan Area Metro? Obviously, only within the confines of the metro stops west of the Potomac.

When I first moved to the Virginia area as a new resident last year I called Washington Metro Area Transit Authority (WMATA) police to receive their interpretation of the legality of open carry on the metro system. The officer answering the phone was not familiar with the term "open carry" but forwarded me to a Sargent on duty. The Sargent (Srgt. Hall) was very polite. He stated that question has not been come up for years, so he would perform some research and return my call.

Sure enough, he confirmed there was no statutes regulating the carry of firearms on the metro. Instead officers are to enforce the firearm law of the state/municipality. Thus, in west of the Potomac (VA), open carry is legal on the metro.

I've only OCed a few times on the metro. I avoid doing so during rush hours, as I do not have firearm retention training and deem there would be an elevated risk to a criminal attempting to grab the firearm in a crowded setting, although the holster is very solid, and only permits unholstering from a specific angle.

cirrusly

View attachment 10650

Who here actively OCs on the Washington Metropolitan Area Metro? Obviously, only within the confines of the metro stops west of the Potomac.

When I first moved to the Virginia area as a new resident last year I called Washington Metro Area Transit Authority (WMATA) police to receive their interpretation of the legality of open carry on the metro system. The officer answering the phone was not familiar with the term "open carry" but forwarded me to a Sargent on duty. The Sargent (Srgt. Hall) was very polite. He stated that question has not been come up for years, so he would perform some research and return my call.

Sure enough, he confirmed there was no statutes regulating the carry of firearms on the metro. Instead officers are to enforce the firearm law of the state/municipality. Thus, in west of the Potomac (VA), open carry is legal on the metro.

I've only OCed a few times on the metro. I avoid doing so during rush hours, as I do not have firearm retention training and deem there would be an elevated risk to a criminal attempting to grab the firearm in a crowded setting, although the holster is very solid, and only permits unholstering from a specific angle.

I am a bit disappointed more of us aren't exercising 2A on the metro. I can't figure out how to move this thread, but I'll open a new one in the VA and DC forums for an open carry metro event.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You guys need to move on over to the NoVa thread. There are lots of folks who OC on Metro on the good side of the river. It is not mentioned much because it's usually merely a part of their daily commute.

GRTC (the local multi-jurisdiction bus company around Richmond) is running commercials showing hip young urbans taking the bus to hip young urban entertainments. They just do not show those hip young urbans waiting for the bus to arrive.

Maybe you could set up a Metro-based meet & greet? Start out at one station, go as a group to the destination near some other station, and then in reverse. (Just be sure to take video with sound.)

stay safe.

Arma1911

I am very glad to hear that there are OCers who regularly carry on the metro. I RARELY ride the metro but God knows that enough crime and terrorism occurs on metro systems and it would certainly make me feel better knowing there are a few good guys and gals capable of defending themselves and others.

I, and perhaps others, have never OC'd on the metro, for fear of accidentally entering into unfriendly territory (DC, MD) by missing my stop (either by my own stupidity or because of crowding and difficulty exiting, for example) or a station being closed unexpectadly for whatever reason and having to proceede to another stop that happens to be in DC, MD. This happened once to me while on the metro 3 or 4 years ago because of a suspected bomb; turned out to be an empty box.

Cirrusly, thanks for posting. And Skid, I like your idea.