• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot out in the country? (Richmond area mainly)

SteelHelm

Hey folks, does anyone know of any spots out in the country where it's legal, or at least where nobody will care if you pulled over on the side of the road in a quarry to do some target shooting? I'm mainly looking anywhere in the 20 or so mile radius around Richmond, or between Richmond and Quantico. I grew up in rural California where that was how we normally would go shooting, so I'm not too familiar with how to go about it in Virginia.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody with any extensive property good for shooting on, so I'm trying to see if there's any kind of 'make your own range' spots out in the country.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Unless you know somebody with acerage, or join a shooting range, you are not going to be able to do much shooting in the Greater Richmond Metro area (or the rest of Virginia).

Most counties have laws against the discharge of firearms off your own property, and the more urbanized ones regulate even that. California, for all that is bad with it, apparently has "public lands". Not so in Virginia.

Thanks for asking before just going out, stopping at a "likely-looking" spot and finding out the hard way.

stay safe.

PJMooney

Quantico Shooting Club

Hey Marine,
As a Leatherneck aboard MCBQ, you are entitled to join the QSC, which shoots at the WTBN ranges. The clubhouse is right by Range 5. The website is http://quanticoshootingclub.com

The yearly dues are very reasonable and based on rank. I pay $88 per year....NRA competitions, long range, rifle, pistol and muzzleloading shoots on Fri-Sun every weekend....

Let me know if I can help you out.

Semper Fidelis,
Pat Mooney