• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lexington Convention Center

Big Daddy XD

I was planning on attending an event at the LCC in a couple months. I was researching their website and came upon this restriction.

The whole page can be found at the following link under rules and regs.

http://www.lexingtoncenter.com/lexpo-exposition-services/exhibitor-information-forms

Fire and Safety Regulations
This facility is within a “School Zone”. Individuals are prohibited from possessing firearms
including concealed weapons. Knives or other dangerous weapons are also prohibited in
Lexington Center.

I personally think this is just their way of restricting weapons. I know they have several gun shows there each year. Is this legal and if not what are my chances of leo's knowing the actual law and not arresting me if I push the issue?

TheRealMcCoy

I asked about this for the opera house and got the response below. Rupp and the conference center is also within 1000ft of the school.

Hello Mr. McCoy,

Kentucky state statutes prohibit local governments from regulating the possession of firearms within local government owned buildings. The owner of the Lexington Opera House, Lexington Center Corporation, is an agency of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government.

However, the United States Gun Free School Zones Act 1990 does prohibit possession of firearms with in a “school zone” defined as a radius of 1,000 feet. The Opera House is next door to St. Peter and Paul school with grades one through eight. The federal law supersedes the state law.

Thank you for your comment.

Best Wishes,
Terri McAllister

langzaiguy

I think it would be great if some of us could open carry in the Lexington Center. Then again, it happens several times a year with the gun show. I think what we need to do is to open carry at the Opera House. Who wants to see a show?

Big Daddy XD

This is old news. It was discussed in this forum two months ago. Click here to view that discussion.

Sorry gutshot. When I tried searching prior posts containing LCC the last one that showed up was from 2011.

Was there a lawsuit filed against them?

So basically since I'm a KY CC license holder then I'm ok to carry there even if its in a school zone.

Thanks for your help gutshot.

JohnKelly

I asked about this for the opera house and got the response below. Rupp and the conference center is also within 1000ft of the school.

Hello Mr. McCoy,

Kentucky state statutes prohibit local governments from regulating the possession of firearms within local government owned buildings. The owner of the Lexington Opera House, Lexington Center Corporation, is an agency of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government.

However, the United States Gun Free School Zones Act 1990 does prohibit possession of firearms with in a “school zone” defined as a radius of 1,000 feet. The Opera House is next door to St. Peter and Paul school with grades one through eight. The federal law supersedes the state law.

Thank you for your comment.

Best Wishes,
Terri McAllister

This is true, except in the case of a person with a concealed carry permit.

09jisaac

This is true, except in the case of a person with a concealed carry permit.

Still not quite.

Federal law that states one thing does not "supersede" a state law stating something completely different.

It is only when they are at odd with each other does one over rule the other.

Kentucky statute states it is illegal for most local governments to have most ordinances governing the carrying of firearms. Federal law states that it is illegal to carry into a school zone (other than some exceptions). These are completely different laws.

This sign is a violation of one and is not expressly allowed by the other.

langzaiguy

My email to the Lexington Convention Center:

"I am again concerned at how LFUCG is encroaching on firearms as related to the Lexington Center Corporation. I have noticed signs prohibiting weapons citing that due to federal gun law and the proximity to schools in the area, that firearms are not permitted.

The federal gun law that the city exploits does have an exemption for citizens who have concealed weapons licenses--of which I am one. I do hope the city realizes this as I would like to attend a show at the Opera House and do not want to be hassled when I carry my firearm openly. Is that realistic?"

The president & CEO of LCC responded with the following:

"We are aware of the exception to the federal law regarding firearms near school properties with respect to concealed carry licenses and your right to carry a firearm if you are licensed. However, this is not to say that you would not be required to show that license when attending a show and displaying a weapon."

My response:

"Thank you for your quick response! While I wouldn't mind showing my license if that were the case, it would seem to me that the city would be on shaky legal ground if they were to require ID. For instance, a police officer may not stop a motorist to verify that they are licensed. He or she would need reasonable suspicion that the motorist was unlicensed or had broken a traffic law in order to ID them. In the same way, I would argue that the city may not require ID unless they have reasonable articulable suspicion that the individual in question is not properly licensed. In regards to an armed citizen, it is unfortunate that the city would default to the assumption that they are a criminal. If I see another motorist, I don't assume that they have had a DUI or their license suspended unless they are driving erratically, thereby causing suspicion.

Another thought--who do you suppose will enforce this federal law? Why does LCC host gun shows? Wouldn't the thousands of gun owners be subject to said law? If a gun show attendee is arrested for this federal law, would the city be liable for entrapment? After all, the city is well aware of the law and yet continues to attract gun owners for these events.

Nevertheless, I really enjoy the different venues that LCC runs, and I appreciate your involvement with them. My concern should not reflect on the quality of services that LCC provides, nor do I mean to be a trouble maker. I simply want to verify that the city is following the law."