• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Agency acting as land lord

EMNofSeattle

Most of those "governmental facilities" around here (ex State Parks) are Arenas, Event's Centers, and Stadiums which are "leased" to the event promoter and THEY can restrict firearms. Most do.

what type of a lease? a lease where the event promoter is paying rent to the public entity for their private interest? or where the government is simply hiring an event promoter to run the facility for the city?

For instance, Key Arena is managed by a contracter paid by the city to manage the arena for them, as has been established in an earlier thread, they ended up having to allow carry. the Experience Music Project in Seattle Center is "leased" to Paul Allen's group, who pays rent and is the actual occupier of the facility.

for the record, I think the Children's museum can ban firearms since they lease the bottom floor of the armory, and are not open to the general public (for instance, they do not allow adults with no children 12 or under to enter)

Jeff Hayes

Most of those "governmental facilities" around here (ex State Parks) are Arenas, Event's Centers, and Stadiums which are "leased" to the event promoter and THEY can restrict firearms. Most do.

My research indicates most are licenses to use the facilities for certain events or periods of time not leases. Under a license to use the owner does not have to give up his property rights and the licensee has no property rights. The Mariners may have a different deal but as I recall not too long ago someone mentioned a license to use.

Jeff Hayes

what type of a lease? a lease where the event promoter is paying rent to the public entity for their private interest? or where the government is simply hiring an event promoter to run the facility for the city?

For instance, Key Arena is managed by a contracter paid by the city to manage the arena for them, as has been established in an earlier thread, they ended up having to allow carry. the Experience Music Project in Seattle Center is "leased" to Paul Allen's group, who pays rent and is the actual occupier of the facility.

for the record, I think the Children's museum can ban firearms since they lease the bottom floor of the armory, and are not open to the general public (for instance, they do not allow adults with no children 12 or under to enter)

Eric do you have any other info on Key Arena and carry????

EMNofSeattle

Eric do you have any other info on Key Arena and carry????

I'll look for it, there was a thread awhile back where someone managed to force the issue with them, hang on i'll locate and link it

EDIT
This is KA's "official" policy on their website
http://www.keyarena.com/arena-information/a-to-z-guide said:
Guests, including law enforcement personnel not present in an official capacity, are prohibited from bringing weapons into the arena. KeyArena does provide weapon lockers. See any KeyArena Admissions staff member to check your weapon. Weapons include, but are not limited to, the following: firearms, explosives, stun guns, handcuffs, brass knuckles, sticks, clubs, batons, martial arts instruments, pepper spray, tear gas, knives, etc. Guests found in possession of the above-mentioned items will be asked to remove the item from the arena or dispose of it. Guests who refuse to comply will be ejected from the arena and may be subject to arrest.
Now look at this

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108542-Experiences-Key-Arena

look at post #13 (BadKarma)
the Key arena said no guns, by anyone except on duty security or police officers. but when BK complained they sent him that email which said "please lock your gun in our lockers, but if you don't want to do that then you may carry, please tell our SPD desk sergeant, please don't bring your gun"

that's paraphrasing, but reading the post, they acknowledged he can in fact carry his gun legally in the seating area. just click the link to the other OCDO thread and read the email he got and contrast with their official policy...

they know what they can and can't do, they're just trying to intimidate criminals and less informed gun owners.

Last edited:

hermannr

I do not believe that they can legally restrict the general public. That they try, well, that is Seattle.

Jeff Hayes

I'll look for it, there was a thread awhile back where someone managed to force the issue with them, hang on i'll locate and link it

EDIT
This is KA's "official" policy on their website

Now look at this

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?108542-Experiences-Key-Arena

look at post #13 (BadKarma)
the Key arena said no guns, by anyone except on duty security or police officers. but when BK complained they sent him that email which said "please lock your gun in our lockers, but if you don't want to do that then you may carry, please tell our SPD desk sergeant, please don't bring your gun"

that's paraphrasing, but reading the post, they acknowledged he can in fact carry his gun legally in the seating area. just click the link to the other OCDO thread and read the email he got and contrast with their official policy...

they know what they can and can't do, they're just trying to intimidate criminals and less informed gun owners.

Thank you that was very helpful I will let you know in a few months just how helpful. I remembered that thread but could not find it.

Jeff