• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Arrested for Shooting at Highlands Burglary Suspect

protias

http://wauwatosa.patch.com/groups/b...?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001&evar4=picks-1-post

Discharging a firearm in the city limits is not a felony.

The armed citizen fired four shots, according to accounts, missing the suspect but putting him in such fear for his life he immediately surrendered to police.

Seems the criminal feared the armed citizen than the armed police.

The citizen was said to have a valid concealed carry permit.

In WI, you don't need a CCL to carry (openly or concealed) on your property.

What is not told in the story is if the criminal was coming at the armed citizen or just going through the property.

MKEgal

he's not going to be charged

Wow.
So they have a guy (probably _seen_ by police) chasing a suspect & shooting at him as he ran away (or the story today is that he "only" shot into the air), endangering not only the suspect but people beyond/around him, and don't even charge him, let alone take it to trial,

yet me sitting in my car not endangering anyone gets put through hell for obeying the law?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...ve-fired-at-burglar-b9960557z1-216638611.html

"The Milwaukee man fired his gun into the air, but not at the suspect, Chief Deputy District Attorney Kent Lovern said.

The man told investigators that before he fired, the burglary suspect had come into the backyard, told the man to freeze and then put his hand in his pocket, which the man took to indicate the suspect was reaching for a firearm, Lovern said.

"Under the circumstances, I think that this was a situation where (he) was exercising self-defense under the circumstances that existed and as they presented themselves to him," Lovern said. "So for that reason we're not issuing any charges."

Initial Milwaukee police reports indicated that the man continued to fire shots and chased the suspect into another yard. Lovern said the evidence doesn't suggest that the man pursued the suspect while firing the gun."

Last edited:

E6chevron

Quite a difference in the story as first reported, versus the current report.

Perhaps we should withhold our opinions/criticisms/condemnations, until we have let the dust settle and accurate information and evidence can be made available.

Before being too critical of possible mistakes made by those carrying firearms, we should also reflect on the mistakes made by licensed automobile drivers:

Driving past red lights, stop signs.

Driving the wrong way on expressways.

Extreme speeding and reckless driving.

Operating under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

Etc.