• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Statewide Open Carry Day?

lmeidl

I was just thinking it would be nice to have a statewide open carry day. If we got the word out to enough people, we could really open people's minds to just how many of their neighbors and friends actually carry a legal weapon. It might even boost permit sales a bit and/or get some media attention. Any thoughts on this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Isn't everyday Open Carry Day in OK? Or is it just for days ending in "Y"?

M - F a lot of people can't carry because of work restrictions.

What might really go over big would be a state wide OC picnic or a series of them at various locations.

hrdware

I agree with Grapeshot. Everyday in open carry day.

Aside from that Oklahoma Open Carry Association (OKOCA) has monthly get togethers in the OKC and Tulsa area you are more than welcome to attend.

Check out the facebook page for additional details. http://facebook.com/opencarryok

lmeidl

I agree, but...

Isn't everyday Open Carry Day in OK? Or is it just for days ending in "Y"?

M - F a lot of people can't carry because of work restrictions.

What might really go over big would be a state wide OC picnic or a series of them at various locations.

I agree and I open carry everywhere that I go, but since most people don't open carry, maybe if they tried it for one day, they'd be surprised at how little attention it really gets. Also, many people would open up to the idea. It seems it's still a rarity to most Okies and I doubt that most people know that close to 1 in 20 adults in Oklahoma have a license to conceal a firearm (best data I could find). I'd love to see more than 1 or 2 people openly carrying on any given day. (I do support the picnic idea as well though...any excuse for a picnic and making new friends is good for me. :)

pierceddwes

Oklahoma already has a open carry day. It is everyday in the 365 day calendar! On a real note yes I think we should have a day commemorating the passage of such a great law.

djdavis75

I like the idea to encourage people who have a Handgun License to give it a try. I honestly usually concealed carry, cause I almost always wear my shirts untucked, and they tend to cover my gun. I have to make a point to tuck in my shirt to technically open carry, and I don't don't like wearing tucked shirts. I do like the fact I don't have to worry if the shirt completely covers it or it prints, etc...

Elm Creek Smith

I open carry every day at work (job requirement) and every day after work and when I don't work with very few exceptions. I concealed carry during my niece's wedding ceremony and reception, but as soon as that was over I untucked my "tuckable" holster. I had to carry concealed on vacation in Texas, and it was a royal pain in the tuckus.

However, I think coming up with a day when people are encouraged to open carry (where practical) is a good idea. How about Samuel Adams' birthday, September 27?

ECS

JediWithASniper

Yes

I think this is a great way to encourage people who want to carry, but are afraid. I would say if we did it, we should organize some kind of cookout/get together in local parks, so as to attract more attention to it. Get it on FB, and be able to send invites. I wish we had that for the regular lunches.