Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

    The forms clearly are in violation of the privacy act...does this create a cause of action against DESPP?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    I believe the real question is who would you report it to, considering its a violation of FEDERAL law.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  3. #3
    Regular Member MagiK_SacK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    264

    Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

    Just curious what form are you referring to?

    Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact? For example we have VCDL here in VA. When the clerks of court in our state try to add requirements to the CHP application, they are a good resource for us to contact to find out the kind of information you are asking. So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

    A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact?

    Yup.

    http://ctcarry.com
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    Just curious what form are you referring to?

    Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact? For example we have VCDL here in VA. When the clerks of court in our state try to add requirements to the CHP application, they are a good resource for us to contact to find out the kind of information you are asking. So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.
    forms 0788 & 414 of course

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.
    One posted w/o an opinion being stated.

  7. #7
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    One posted w/o an opinion being stated.
    I'm sure legality overrides opinion in this matter. and I'm sure rich has intentionally left that type of a reply out for the time being until he knows the truthful and legal answer or has some type of legal update. I know he does a LOT of behind the scenes work on these types of things, and doesn't jump the gun
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    Interesting topic.

    SSN is also required for a drivers license.

    Same legal principle should apply for DLN should it not?

    Best regards,

    CCJ

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    3,277
    A SSN is the eliminator of privacy. It is a tattoo of your life and we are all guilty of giving it away to freely.

    We give it to banks,utility company's, Insurance agency's, IRS,DMV, credit card company's, for employment etc.

    WE surrender rights for privileges everyday of our lives via our ignorance. The SSN makes us all branded sheep.

    My .02

    Best regards.

    CCJ

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Interesting topic.

    SSN is also required for a drivers license.

    Same legal principle should apply for DLN should it not?

    Best regards,

    CCJ
    SS# not required here ... for DL

  11. #11
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    SS# not required here ... for DL
    correct.

    also, it is not illegal for a government agency to ask for or to mandate your SSN; it is simply illegal to do so without specific clauses plainly visible on the form that is requesting/requiring them, which includes stating whether it is optional or required, and stating who will have access to the number and what will be done with the number.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    38

    Got my state permit today

    Walked in (Middletown) stood in line for 30 min. On the application I wrote "All Legal Reasons" and did not include my SSN

    I was told the background check was taking a long time and was asked the last 4 of my SSN

    Picture, Permit, Done.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
    Walked in (Middletown) stood in line for 30 min. On the application I wrote "All Legal Reasons" and did not include my SSN

    I was told the background check was taking a long time and was asked the last 4 of my SSN

    Picture, Permit, Done.

    This thread was not concerned with the pistol permit application but on the new forms for reg. of "assault weapons" and magazine declarations.

    30 minutes? that sucks ... but better than DMV, right?

    Interesting that they took a partial SS#. That don't sound right.

  14. #14
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    This thread was not concerned with the pistol permit application but on the new forms for reg. of "assault weapons" and magazine declarations.

    30 minutes? that sucks ... but better than DMV, right?

    Interesting that they took a partial SS#. That don't sound right.
    they probably were able to view the SSN on their computer, and just wanted to verify the identity of the person.
    or the guy asking wanted it for personal reasons, because the last 4 is all you need in a lot of cases to be an identity thief lol.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  15. #15
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    '...taking a long time' = clerks lie. They also have a hissy fit if you call them out and insist on correct legal procedure. I have to ask is 'drama queen' part of the requirement for that position? ;-D

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    '...taking a long time' = clerks lie. They also have a hissy fit if you call them out and insist on correct legal procedure. I have to ask is 'drama queen' part of the requirement for that position? ;-D
    Only two types of people at DESPP : liars and big liars

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •