Thread: Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

Banned

Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

The forms clearly are in violation of the privacy act...does this create a cause of action against DESPP?
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.

I believe the real question is who would you report it to, considering its a violation of FEDERAL law.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

Just curious what form are you referring to?

Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact? For example we have VCDL here in VA. When the clerks of court in our state try to add requirements to the CHP application, they are a good resource for us to contact to find out the kind of information you are asking. So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact?

Yup.

http://ctcarry.com
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Banned
    Just curious what form are you referring to?

Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact? For example we have VCDL here in VA. When the clerks of court in our state try to add requirements to the CHP application, they are a good resource for us to contact to find out the kind of information you are asking. So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.
    forms 0788 & 414 of course

Banned
    So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.
    One posted w/o an opinion being stated.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    One posted w/o an opinion being stated.
    I'm sure legality overrides opinion in this matter. and I'm sure rich has intentionally left that type of a reply out for the time being until he knows the truthful and legal answer or has some type of legal update. I know he does a LOT of behind the scenes work on these types of things, and doesn't jump the gun
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

Interesting topic.

SSN is also required for a drivers license.

Same legal principle should apply for DLN should it not?

Best regards,

CCJ

A SSN is the eliminator of privacy. It is a tattoo of your life and we are all guilty of giving it away to freely.

We give it to banks,utility company's, Insurance agency's, IRS,DMV, credit card company's, for employment etc.

WE surrender rights for privileges everyday of our lives via our ignorance. The SSN makes us all branded sheep.

My .02

Best regards.

CCJ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    Interesting topic.

SSN is also required for a drivers license.

Same legal principle should apply for DLN should it not?

Best regards,

CCJ
    SS# not required here ... for DL

SS# not required here ... for DL
    correct.

also, it is not illegal for a government agency to ask for or to mandate your SSN; it is simply illegal to do so without specific clauses plainly visible on the form that is requesting/requiring them, which includes stating whether it is optional or required, and stating who will have access to the number and what will be done with the number.
    www.CTCarry.com

Got my state permit today

Walked in (Middletown) stood in line for 30 min. On the application I wrote "All Legal Reasons" and did not include my SSN

I was told the background check was taking a long time and was asked the last 4 of my SSN

Picture, Permit, Done.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cook View Post
    Walked in (Middletown) stood in line for 30 min. On the application I wrote "All Legal Reasons" and did not include my SSN

I was told the background check was taking a long time and was asked the last 4 of my SSN

Picture, Permit, Done.

This thread was not concerned with the pistol permit application but on the new forms for reg. of "assault weapons" and magazine declarations.

30 minutes? that sucks ... but better than DMV, right?

Interesting that they took a partial SS#. That don't sound right.

This thread was not concerned with the pistol permit application but on the new forms for reg. of "assault weapons" and magazine declarations.

30 minutes? that sucks ... but better than DMV, right?

Interesting that they took a partial SS#. That don't sound right.
    they probably were able to view the SSN on their computer, and just wanted to verify the identity of the person.
    or the guy asking wanted it for personal reasons, because the last 4 is all you need in a lot of cases to be an identity thief lol.
    www.CTCarry.com

'...taking a long time' = clerks lie. They also have a hissy fit if you call them out and insist on correct legal procedure. I have to ask is 'drama queen' part of the requirement for that position? ;-D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    '...taking a long time' = clerks lie. They also have a hissy fit if you call them out and insist on correct legal procedure. I have to ask is 'drama queen' part of the requirement for that position? ;-D
    Only two types of people at DESPP : liars and big liars