• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can people who were forced to supply their SS# on reg. forms sue?

davidmcbeth

Banned
The forms clearly are in violation of the privacy act...does this create a cause of action against DESPP?

Last edited:

MagiK_SacK

Just curious what form are you referring to?

Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact? For example we have VCDL here in VA. When the clerks of court in our state try to add requirements to the CHP application, they are a good resource for us to contact to find out the kind of information you are asking. So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just curious what form are you referring to?

Do you have a RKBA association for your state that you can contact? For example we have VCDL here in VA. When the clerks of court in our state try to add requirements to the CHP application, they are a good resource for us to contact to find out the kind of information you are asking. So if you have an organization like that for your state you might try contacting them.

forms 0788 & 414 of course

motoxmann

One posted w/o an opinion being stated. :cry:

I'm sure legality overrides opinion in this matter. and I'm sure rich has intentionally left that type of a reply out for the time being until he knows the truthful and legal answer or has some type of legal update. I know he does a LOT of behind the scenes work on these types of things, and doesn't jump the gun

countryclubjoe

Interesting topic.

SSN is also required for a drivers license.

Same legal principle should apply for DLN should it not?

Best regards,

CCJ

countryclubjoe

A SSN is the eliminator of privacy. It is a tattoo of your life and we are all guilty of giving it away to freely.

We give it to banks,utility company's, Insurance agency's, IRS,DMV, credit card company's, for employment etc.

WE surrender rights for privileges everyday of our lives via our ignorance. The SSN makes us all branded sheep.

My .02

Best regards.

CCJ

motoxmann

SS# not required here ... for DL

correct.

also, it is not illegal for a government agency to ask for or to mandate your SSN; it is simply illegal to do so without specific clauses plainly visible on the form that is requesting/requiring them, which includes stating whether it is optional or required, and stating who will have access to the number and what will be done with the number.

Adam Cook

Got my state permit today

Walked in (Middletown) stood in line for 30 min. On the application I wrote "All Legal Reasons" and did not include my SSN

I was told the background check was taking a long time and was asked the last 4 of my SSN

Picture, Permit, Done.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Walked in (Middletown) stood in line for 30 min. On the application I wrote "All Legal Reasons" and did not include my SSN

I was told the background check was taking a long time and was asked the last 4 of my SSN

Picture, Permit, Done.

This thread was not concerned with the pistol permit application but on the new forms for reg. of "assault weapons" and magazine declarations.

30 minutes? that sucks ... but better than DMV, right?

Interesting that they took a partial SS#. That don't sound right.

motoxmann

This thread was not concerned with the pistol permit application but on the new forms for reg. of "assault weapons" and magazine declarations.

30 minutes? that sucks ... but better than DMV, right?

Interesting that they took a partial SS#. That don't sound right.

they probably were able to view the SSN on their computer, and just wanted to verify the identity of the person.
or the guy asking wanted it for personal reasons, because the last 4 is all you need in a lot of cases to be an identity thief lol.

Maverick9

'...taking a long time' = clerks lie. They also have a hissy fit if you call them out and insist on correct legal procedure. I have to ask is 'drama queen' part of the requirement for that position? ;-D

davidmcbeth

Banned
'...taking a long time' = clerks lie. They also have a hissy fit if you call them out and insist on correct legal procedure. I have to ask is 'drama queen' part of the requirement for that position? ;-D

Only two types of people at DESPP : liars and big liars