• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock made in Austria VS made in USA?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
til the hipoint has feeding issues its more reliable. my girlfriends has to go back to hi-point to have them fix it. has feeding issues every mag now. glad they come with lifetime warranty

I've been carrying a Glock ever since I became a handgun owner; I'm happy with its reliability. What I know of Hi-Point pistols is only second hand. I've read that the feeding problems can often be a magazine issue. I would take a look at this:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f273/magazine-adjustment-video-280663/

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
i like my SD40 over a glock. the difference of $250 is a big factor in that. two tone coloring. and its just as reliable if not more reliable than my buddies glock.

14+1 beats 10+1 also :)

it comes to personal preference, and glock has a whole sea of fan boys.....

I have a number of 15 rd mags for my Glock 23 so I can experience the joy of 15+1. If I need even more joy, I can choose one of the 22 rd factory magazines for the G22. There are aftermarket mags available of various sizes. A magazine that works in the Glock 22 also functions in the Glock 23. You are correct about personal preference.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

DrakeZ07 said:
Y'all never heard of the Hi-Point, have you?

Allow me to correct you. A Hi-point is uglier, and more dependable, than Glock...

Uglier? Yes.

More dependable? On what evidence do you base this claim?

JustaShooter

Y'all never heard of the Hi-Point, have you?

Allow me to correct you. A Hi-point is uglier, and more dependable, than Glock.

Actually, living in Ohio I've heard much about Hi-Point. Some of it has even been favorable. :rolleyes:

As to more dependable than Glock, not in my experience. I have personally encountered 3 examples of their products, and was singularly unimpressed. To a gun they were the least dependable firearms I've ever handled and were unable to make it through even one magazine without jamming multiple times.

I have heard that Hi-Point stands behind them with a lifetime warranty, which is a good thing. I have also heard you generally need it, which is bad. I've also heard if you keep sending them back you will eventually end up with a reliable, functional firearm. To me, that negates the low price - my time is valuable, and shipping isn't cheap. I'd much rather save up a few more dollars and start with a better firearm in the first place.

MyWifeSaidYes

I never had to ship mine (C9). They just kept sending me new parts to try.

The last new firing pin and spring went a whole four rounds and then gave me a premature detonation.

My wife won't let me shoot it anymore.

mobiushky

Not true at all. I bought 3 different gen4s this year and all are stamped "AUSTRIA"

You do know that doesn't matter right? It's not the big "AUSTRIA" on the slide that tells you where it was made. Only way to tell is to look for the Austrian proof marks on the slide and barrel. If those marks are there, you have a Glock made in Austria. Otherwise, it was "made" in the US, which probably just means "assembled". Those proof marks will be in place of the "Glock" symbol on the right side of the slide below and just behind the ejection port.

Here's a shot of the Austrian proof marks:
p10305451.jpg

Last edited:

Kopis

sweet! i didnt know that. Ill be sure to check mine tonight and post back up. Ive seen other glocks that are stamped USA on the slide so i falsely assumed that was the case.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
My Sweet Baboo dumped her S&W revolver yesterday and bought a Glock 26. She is ecstatic about it and every other sentence had "I'm a Glock Girl" in it or some other reference to her new toy.

Primus

My Sweet Baboo dumped her S&W revolver yesterday and bought a Glock 26. She is ecstatic about it and every other sentence had "I'm a Glock Girl" in it or some other reference to her new toy.

Good choice both in woman and firearm.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

tomrkba

Well a Glock is a Glock, dependable as hell but down right ugly as hell. Not a fan of glocks for a number of reasons but you cant beat it in the reliability factor.

If a Glock is ugly, then what is a Ruger P-Series? Effing Extra Ugly (EEU)? The Ruger SR series is quite homely. SIG P250's are even uglier than Hi-Points and that took an active effort to do.

I think people repeat the "Glock is ugly" mantra because they can't justify their dislike any other way.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If a Glock is ugly, then what is a Ruger P-Series?

uglier than Hi-Points and that took an active effort to do.

I think people repeat the "Glock is ugly" mantra because they can't justify their dislike any other way.

I see the Glocks beauty in its form and function. And I have a couple of those bigg a$$ trucks, the P85 and P95. They can also be used as hammers.

On the mantra.....if you hear it often enough, true or not, it is believed. Just think about all those people shooting their legs off everyday with weapons in those holsters with the funny button.

or most of what comes out of the current administration.

Last edited: