Thread: Fine print of National Parks law require CC?

Question Fine print of National Parks law require CC?

CFR Title 36, 2.4 is said to relegate handgun carry in National Parks to the state in which the National Park is located. I have a question on that. If you read the code it says...

( h ) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable Federal law.

It says concealed. I know that this code is interpreted to mean that state law is followed, but why does it say concealed? Does this limit those in open carry states to only conceal in a National Park? If not, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post
    CFR Title 36, 2.4 is said to relegate handgun carry in National Parks to the state in which the National Park is located. I have a question on that. If you read the code it says...

( h ) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Chapter, a person may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable Federal law.

It says concealed. I know that this code is interpreted to mean that state law is followed, but why does it say concealed? Does this limit those in open carry states to only conceal in a National Park? If not, why not?
    Unless there is a law banning something, it is legal to do said action. Therefore even though that law mentions concealed, can you show me a law that specifically states OCing in a national park is illegal? That is one of the things to remember, laws don't give us permission to do things with everything else being illegal, they are to state that which we can't do and anything not listed is automatically legal.

Centurion
    IIRC the original credit card reform bill that had the national parks carry amendment attached did NOT specify concealment at all, merely carry of a loaded and operational firearm; yet the law as written does. Seems that someone exceeded the mandate given them to RESTRICT that which was legal.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by independence View Post

It says "may", not that a person so acting is "required" to conceal. The law addresses concealed carry, but not open carry at all. The absence of such reference results in OC being legal where allowed by the respective state.

You can wear a hat while driving too......because doing so is not specifically disallowed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Because "concealed" is the mode usually prohibited by law - unless you have a state permission slip. It's that way even in Texas, where they also prohibit intentional OC.

States where OC is the default legal mode do not have a law for which there can be carry "in accordance with the laws of the state in which the national park area, or that portion thereof, is located, except as otherwise prohibited by applicable Federal law." No law, no ability to be "in accordance with".

Sometimes I do believe it is rocket surgery.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit