• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Priorities.....and sheeple

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Got a call today from my mom that she was involved in a car accident on Route 95. I jumped into the "Proactivemobile" and raced down there. She's fine, car's banged up. Seems that a young girl in a borrowed BMW decided to play a little game of "Oh ****, there's my exit" and crashed into the side of mom's car.

I was OC'ing but didn't want it to be an issue, so I locked my gun in the truck on the shoulder and went to check on my mom. The young girl who hit her walked over to the Trooper and said something.....

The Trooper comes up as I'm assessing damage and he says "Someone said that your vehicle says that you specialize in concealed carry permits. You don't have anything on you now, do you?"

My first thought - "Isn't there something more important here that we're dealing with?"
My second thought - "You know that's none of your damn business, right?"

What I said - "No, I locked it in my truck"

If the sheeple would worry about their damn driving, and not what the rest of the law abiding world is doing, we'd all be better off.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Discretion may be the better part of valor, but ....

FOIA to find out who "someone" was and exactly what they said. Also to find out how the Trooper reported that part of the accident investigation.

Public announcement for anybody else finding themself in a similar situation: peter nap and I will be offering our highly honed diplomatic skills to deal with The Authorities when this sort of squirrel scat comes up. Reasonable rates.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
First, I'm glad your mother is OK. The car can be fixed!

Second, as I've said before, they aren't all bad but they sure aren't all good. The girl needs to concern herself with the damage she caused both to your mother's car but also to the borrowed vehicle.

The Trooper needs to mind his own business.

After I left Grapeshot today I stopped at WaWa for coffee. A Trooper I didn't know was there and didn't say anything but sat in the parking lot watching me until I got tired of it and started taking his picture. He left then.

I suppose it was a slow ticket day.

Again, give your mother my sympathy for the car and thanks she wasn't hurt.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Troopers sure are an itchy bunch when they feel they no longer have the upper hand. :lol:

Not all of them. A lot depends on were they come from.

I see several every day. One is a decent fellow. He and I discuss BIG guns (He's a collector). One is a jerk from NOVA and just refuses to look at me now and the other is professional and minds his own business.

I went through a check point a few years ago and handed the Trooper my license. When I did I told him I had a 44 magnum which was sitting on the dashboard in front of him. He said, I see...how do you like it?

None of them have the upper hand with me and they know it.

Esanders2008

I just wanted to weigh in with my experiences with VA state troopers:

I stopped to change a lady's flat tire once (she happened to own a fancy restaurant in Norfolk, and gave me and the wifey a free meal!) a ST pulled up to help us, and never said anything about my carry.

I also was involved in a HnR on 264 not too long ago, and I was pulled over on the side of the road waiting for the ST. He had me get out of my car out of the passenger side (he obviously could see my glock, but said nothing).

One bad apple spoils the bunch I suppose...

Arma1911

Proshooter, very glad your mom is okay AND the insurance company is not giving you guys any problems; two potential nightmares have been avoided.

Too keep the thread going, just wondering what the Trooper's likely response would have been if Proshooter had said what he had said what he been thinking. Has anybody had a similar situation but reacted differently to the officer's question?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Proshooter, very glad your mom is okay AND the insurance company is not giving you guys any problems; two potential nightmares have been avoided.

Too keep the thread going, just wondering what the Trooper's likely response would have been if Proshooter had said what he had said what he been thinking. Has anybody had a similar situation but reacted differently to the officer's question?

Not under the same type of circumstances and it wouldn't matter anyway. There is a reason the response to my comment about being a diplomat and icon of tolerance was a ROFL smiley:(

FWIW, I happen to think Proshooter did the right thing. There was no danger there and there are times when we need to adjust our principals to the conditions.

The Girl was out of line and I imagine if Proshooter had been carrying, the Trooper would have just said something about leaving it in the holster....There were just more important things to tend to right then.

sidestreet

I also am glad your Mom is okay...,

you just better hope that the BMW and/or that girl isn't somehow connected to a certain Nathan Lync..., er, uh, Goodwyn, known to frequent these parts, or you just might find that your Mom was driving aggressively, blocking the young lady from turning, kept driving in the young lady's blind spot, trying to "ZOOM" by/cut her off, the young lady could "feel" you and your Mom "glaring" at her through your sunglasses, and get a late night visit with complimentary ride to the Henrico Hilton for a quick photo shoot because you were "brandishing", and scaring the poor young girl to death. I guess you and your Mom should be grateful that the young lady actually allowed/let you continue on/drive away after the incident/confrontation. :(

OK, rant mode off now, again, very glad your Mom is Okay and hope she will be properly compensated without a whole lot of "back and forth", I see the maneuver you described plenty, and wonder why people can't just go to the next exit and turn around instead of jamming up everyone else behind you regardless of the danger. Then again, I know plenty of folks that couldn't/can't find North after you show them which way South, East and West are. :(

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I just wanted to weigh in with my experiences with VA state troopers:

I stopped to change a lady's flat tire once (she happened to own a fancy restaurant in Norfolk, and gave me and the wifey a free meal!) a ST pulled up to help us, and never said anything about my carry.

I also was involved in a HnR on 264 not too long ago, and I was pulled over on the side of the road waiting for the ST. He had me get out of my car out of the passenger side (he obviously could see my glock, but said nothing).

One bad apple spoils the bunch I suppose...

Well that's how police should behave, like your contacts have been. When you meet one that behaves irrationally, is a citizen doomed to just listen to him without considering his own safety? Now, if it were dogs .....

Last edited:

paramedic70002

For better or worse, once I filtered out the first three responses that would not have gone over very well, I would have said, "Oh yeah I forgot to arm up when I left the house. Thanks for the reminder." And then go do it.

davidmcbeth

Banned
For better or worse, once I filtered out the first three responses that would not have gone over very well, I would have said, "Oh yeah I forgot to arm up when I left the house. Thanks for the reminder." And then go do it.

I would not add .. "dang, my five year old probably got it and is playing cops and robbers ... he plays robber usually"

Repeater

Well, it could have been worse:

Rutherford Institute Condemns Police ‘Safety’ Checkpoints as Unconstitutional, Calls for Balance in Police-Citizen Dynamic
John W. Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute, is calling on the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors to review a July 11th incident in which county police shut down access to a quiet suburban subdivision in order to conduct a three-hour “safety” check in the middle of a summer afternoon. More than 262 people were stopped and forced to show identification and, in some cases, registration in order to enter or exit the subdivision, which is neither crime-ridden nor heavily traveled. One resident who objected to being detained at the checkpoint, citing his Fourth Amendment right to be free from such searches and seizures in the absence of probable cause, was allegedly subjected to shouts and threats by police to smash his car window and have him arrested.

Remember, it's for our own good. Sheeple.

countryclubjoe

Maverick9

Got a call today from my mom that she was involved in a car accident on Route 95. I jumped into the "Proactivemobile" and raced down there. She's fine, car's banged up. Seems that a young girl in a borrowed BMW decided to play a little game of "Oh ****, there's my exit" and crashed into the side of mom's car.

I was OC'ing but didn't want it to be an issue, so I locked my gun in the truck on the shoulder and went to check on my mom. The young girl who hit her walked over to the Trooper and said something.....

The Trooper comes up as I'm assessing damage and he says "Someone said that your vehicle says that you specialize in concealed carry permits. You don't have anything on you now, do you?"

My first thought - "Isn't there something more important here that we're dealing with?"
My second thought - "You know that's none of your damn business, right?"

What I said - "No, I locked it in my truck"

If the sheeple would worry about their damn driving, and not what the rest of the law abiding world is doing, we'd all be better off.

Why did you say anything? You were on foot, correct?

Seriously, WHY DID YOU REPLY? I would like to know. I'm surprise that you of all people do not know the law, and that is to present your PERMIT and your license on demand. There's no law that says you have to answer questions about a firearm. AND you only have to present your permit if you are armed.

You're teaching the Trooper to behave unlawfully, putting the rest of the carriers at risk for bullying. It's disgusting. Note I'm not saying reply with a snarky comment.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
ProShooter - the day ended well and that is what counts in this case.

I don't care how you got from A to B - that was your call and no one else's.

Those that don't know you and snipe assume too much - they don't know the rest of the story.

Yesterday with Peter Nap (doing what we were doing) a SUV next to us decided that he wanted the lane we were occupying. Only my highly honed ninja reflexes permitted me to execute a 4 wheel pirouette avoiding a vulgar mating of our vehicles' opposite sides.

Afterward, the other driver wouldn't even look at me.......which is exactly what caused the problem in the first place....oh well.

Red Dawg

To those that think PRO did a "wrong" thing by answering.....You weren't there. To say he knows the laws, and how to carry, and what not to say is an understatement....Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. He is as pro rights, and exercises them as much as most anyone on this forum...Teaches others about it for goodness sakes. Anyone who carries regualrly knows, and we have talked about times when it's best to just move on becasue there are bigger things in life at that moment. I.E. out with just your 4 year old, and a cop gets a little nosy. Play along for a few to get away, and not risk having a grandson being picked up by the "Human(e) society"...Sometimes it's easier to just say "shopping with my grandson", then "I don't talk to cops"...YMMV...Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do....A man has to know his limitations though...