• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wiretapping law question

WalkingWolf

Nope, not as long as they are performing their official duties. You cannot record anybody in private, such as a restroom. The standard on recording anybody is a reasonable expectation of privacy. North Carolina is a one party state when it comes to recordings over a telephone, or private conversations. If you record a police officer in a private conversation without consent or knowledge then you are breaking the law.

While the police officer does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy while performing duties, the civilian population that the officer is interacting with does. So you could still be charged if you are not one of the parties in the conversation.

EMNofSeattle

Nope, not as long as they are performing their official duties. You cannot record anybody in private, such as a restroom. The standard on recording anybody is a reasonable expectation of privacy. North Carolina is a one party state when it comes to recordings over a telephone, or private conversations. If you record a police officer in a private conversation without consent or knowledge then you are breaking the law.

While the police officer does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy while performing duties, the civilian population that the officer is interacting with does. So you could still be charged if you are not one of the parties in the conversation.

Isn't a "one party consent" where you don't need the permission of the other party to record?

versus a "two party" where all participants need to be made aware?

WalkingWolf

Isn't a "one party consent" where you don't need the permission of the other party to record?

versus a "two party" where all participants need to be made aware?

A person not involved in the conversation is not a party of consent. The consent must be from at least one person involved, otherwise it is illegal if it is a personal conversation.

eNomineZerum

Greenville, North Carolina, United States
I always understood the "one party consent" to mean that if we are talking and I press the button you don't need to know about it. I use the example of recording a phone call I make to you provided you are also in a "one party consent" state. If the other person is in a "two party consent" they win out.

Now, If I plant a bug or am not a part of the conversation, as in I am sitting behind you on a bench recording you and your brother talking sensitive matters, since I am not part of this conversation I am not allowed to legally record.

Now, I do believe that this goes out the window if its a crime or some other "greater good" thing and even then you have weigh what you are doing with the knowledge that you could get in trouble.