• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who's packing? CPL rates in Washington counties

Bill Starks

State Researcher

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Whos-packing-CPL-rates-in-Washington-counties-216826761.html

Nationally, people have been applying for concealed pistol licenses at unprecedented rates. Experts say fear of gun legislation and some violent national events are likely factors.

The Washington State Department of Licensing released figures on concealed pistol licenses permits by county.

INTERACTIVE: Washington Map showing CPL rates by county

There is always something off in the way they present the numbers, in this case they don't account for people under 21 or felons within the counties population, this normally adds a few percent as it represents the percent of people able to obtain a cpl.

Last edited:

DCKilla

There is always something off in the way they present the numbers, in this case they don't account for people under 21 or felons within the counties population, this normally adds a few percent as it represents the percent of people able to obtain a cpl.
They're just noting the CPLs in a population. Since, we're not talking number of people in an age group or number of felons in a population, it doesn't matter. I know you knew this. Let's not make this too difficult.

sudden valley gunner

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Whos-packing-CPL-rates-in-Washington-counties-216826761.html

Nationally, people have been applying for concealed pistol licenses at unprecedented rates. Experts say fear of gun legislation and some violent national events are likely factors.

The Washington State Department of Licensing released figures on concealed pistol licenses permits by county.

INTERACTIVE: Washington Map showing CPL rates by county

That way they'll know who to go to for guns first........:p

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
They're just noting the CPLs in a population. Since, we're not talking number of people in an age group or number of felons in a population, it doesn't matter. I know you knew this. Let's not make this too difficult.

I realize that, its just not really a relevant number. All I was saying is with a little bit more research they could have looked at census data and narrowed the population to 21+ age groups and given a more relevant number, the estimated percent of eligible adults that posses a cpl.

jsanchez

I love how they twist the facts. King county has the lowest % of conceal carry, when in fact they have the most. That's mass media for you, twist the facts to your political agenda.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I love how they twist the facts. King county has the lowest % of conceal carry, when in fact they have the most. That's mass media for you, twist the facts to your political agenda.

King county likely does in fact have the lowest percentage of CPLs, they likely don't have the lowest number though, which is what I will assume your trying to say.

EMNofSeattle

woo-hoo Kitsap County at 9%!

although whatever happened to the previous map king5 did that showed CPL holders by telephone exchange or voter precinct or something local like that, because last time they did the map my local area had like 17%.

and then Lynden, WA had like 55%

just for the record, we have higher per-capita CCW then Texas. 450,000 licenses in WA out of 6 million people versus like 580,000 licenses in TX out of 25,000,000 people.

Dave Workman

woo-hoo Kitsap County at 9%!

although whatever happened to the previous map king5 did that showed CPL holders by telephone exchange or voter precinct or something local like that, because last time they did the map my local area had like 17%.

and then Lynden, WA had like 55%

just for the record, we have higher per-capita CCW then Texas. 450,000 licenses in WA out of 6 million people versus like 580,000 licenses in TX out of 25,000,000 people.

Actually, its closer to 440,000 CPLs here, as noted in my Examiner column a week ago. At that time, the number was 437,000 and change. It's up but the rate is slowing down.

ak56

Campaign Veteran

Except lots of Texas residents have non-resident permits from other states that are recognized in Texas. Unlike Washington, Texas residents can carry on non-Texas permits.

()pen(arry

Except lots of Texas residents have non-resident permits from other states that are recognized in Texas. Unlike Washington, Texas residents can carry on non-Texas permits.

There's a big effort lately to require Texas residents to carry Texas licenses in order to CC. There's strong suspicion that many CC instructors are partly to blame for the effort.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
There's a big effort lately to require Texas residents to carry Texas licenses in order to CC. There's strong suspicion that many CC instructors are partly to blame for the effort.

True, but they haven't accomplished that yet. What they did manage to do, was to pressure Utah into changing it's requirements for non-resident permits so that if Utah recognizes your states permit, they will now only issue if you already have one from your home state. So they got Utah to do some of their dirty-work for them.

EMNofSeattle

True, but they haven't accomplished that yet. What they did manage to do, was to pressure Utah into changing it's requirements for non-resident permits so that if Utah recognizes your states permit, they will now only issue if you already have one from your home state. So they got Utah to do some of their dirty-work for them.

Well they can always go to the beautiful Evergreen State to get a cheap license with no training requirement recognized in Texas...