• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Time to put guns in the polling places to bed

Glockster

Stretch, scratch, yawn....all interesting I suppose unless like me my polling place is a school. Then it seems that none of this matters, right?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Stretch, scratch, yawn....all interesting I suppose unless like me my polling place is a school. Then it seems that none of this matters, right?

There is a difference between "none of this matters" and "will not have any significant impact on me". I hope you were trying to express the latter.

Did you forget that one of the agenda items is to eliminate the restriction against carrying on school property? When that goal is achieved, this will matter to you.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
If Black Panthers can stand outside poling places carrying night sticks and the Holder won't prosecute them for intimidation then he shouldn't need to worry about prosecuting armed law abiding citizens carrying at poling places.

That was in Pennsylvania wasn't it? Hopefully we do things differently down here in Virginia.

So as far as the BOE is concerned, I suppose that the fact a polling place is located within a school still overrides the carrying of firearms to vote. In other words, the school doesn't cease to be a school during voting times does it?

Last edited:

Marco

The State Board of Elections in Richmond are the one's that pblish the manuals so an email to them would help.
It's not a bad idea for people to go to their local Registrar and make sure they understand they don't have the authority or blessing from the BOE, to Ban Firearms from areas otherwise legal for carry in.

Prior to getting confirmation of no offical policy I spoke with my local Registrar and they confirmed there was a policy and had no plans to implement one.

However, I knew this already as my wife and I had no issues when we voted, oc of course.
Or poling station is the Americn Legion Hall or the volunteer fire station.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Prior to getting confirmation of no offical policy I spoke with my local Registrar and they confirmed there was a policy and had no plans to implement one.

However, I knew this already as my wife and I had no issues when we voted, oc of course.
Or poling station is the Americn Legion Hall or the volunteer fire station.

I'll have to go back and look at the exact wording Marco but it was something about asking people to cover up if they got complaints. That's what I was referring to.

Marco

My fat fingers and this tablet....don't work well together.

I meant to say my registrar confirmed there wasn't a policy.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Last election

November 2012. Chesterfield Registrar Lawrence Haake III
I just got off the phone with Lawrence Haake, III Registrar of Chesterfield. ((804-748-9745)

He stated that due to an incident in March 2012, the State Board of Elections on HIS recommendation has now prohibited open carry due to a person seeing a gun and being intimidated.

Mr. Haake advised that anything that can disrupt people voting can be prohibited, including cell phones. He also stated that concealed carry is legal because nobody knows you have a gun.

He stated that they are not trying to infringe on anyone's 2nd Amendment rights (which they did) but a polling place is not a "public location" and therefore they can prohibit anything that disrupts anyone voting.

07/28/2013
Seems he was wrong. I will check again Monday while down there.

Last edited:

Glockster

There is a difference between "none of this matters" and "will not have any significant impact on me". I hope you were trying to express the latter.

Did you forget that one of the agenda items is to eliminate the restriction against carrying on school property? When that goal is achieved, this will matter to you.

stay safe.

Yes, it was the later (no impact on me, today). Coupled with a wish that the restriction would go away. It was more kind of a mood thing of the moment than meant as a snarky comment.

B. Reddy

Local Electoral Boards

Thanks Marco...Question though..Since Mr Bell is the delegate from "Chesterfield", and my delegate seat is actually open ATT, would talking to the BOE Chief here, and telling him what was found have any weight? Oh well, won't hurt to try. I can look like a knowledgeable professional if need be...

RED DAWG- Thanks for the info on Electoral Boards. My homework is to go have a little chat with the one in Orange County. It sure can't hurt to print out that non-opinion from the AG's office to take with me.

FYI- Delegate Rob Bell is not from Chesterfield, but instead a bit further west:

Virginia House of Delegates 2012
Delegate Robert B. Bell
Preferred Name: Rob
Member Since 2002
R - 58th District
Counties of Albemarle (part), Fluvanna (part), Greene, and Rockingham (part)

We kinda got a thing for Bells out here in the Piedmont:

Virginia House of Delegates 2012
Delegate Richard P. Bell
Preferred Name: Dickie
Member Since 2010
R - 20th District
Counties of Augusta (part), Highland, and Nelson (part); Cities of Staunton and Waynesboro

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Time to put guns in the polling places to bed

There were two things that struck me when I read the title of this thread.

First: You guys still have polling places? They forced us to go to an all mail-in system.

Second: Your polling places have beds for your guns, but then they try to keep you from bringing your guns so that they can use those beds?

On a more serious note, keep going after those 'officials' in Virginia (registrars, county clerks, etc.) who believe that what they want to do supercedes what the law permits them to do. Watching the Virginia forum from the opposite side of the country, it appears you are winning, and you have an impressive group of people supporting the fight.

B. Reddy

Must be something I didn't say.....

Why do you suppose my request translated on my bureaucrat's screen as "Just send me a link to something I could have Googled in 3 seconds. No need to actually explain "any policies"? :banghead:

Dear Mr. ......:

This responds to your email of August 14, 2013, requesting “any policies or … direction from the State Board of Elections restricting the open carry of firearms at polling places.”

Here is a link to a responsive public record: http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/GetF...docroot\GuidanceDocs\132\GDoc_SBE_5291_v1.pdf (page 13)

Sincerely,

Donna L. Jenni

Orange County General Registrar

Office of Voter Registrations and Elections

146 Madison Rd, Suite 204

Orange, VA 22960

540-672-5262

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:05 PM
To: Donna Jenni
Subject: BOE non-policy?

Ms. Jenni,

Does the Orange County Registrar have any policies or ever received direction from the State Board of Elections restricting the open carry of firearms at polling places?

At least one county registrar in Virginia had some confusion about this issue so I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you,