• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Forest OC?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I just read a mini-update from VCDL (Virginia Citizen's Defense League) about the son of one of their members:

"A member's son is in hot water for open carrying in a national forest. In Virginia, only concealed carry with a valid CHP is allowed in a national forest. (Don't look at me, gun control never makes any sense.) We are watching how the case evolves. Details are scarce right now.

Looks like it may be time for VCDL to push to get this fixed to allow unlicensed open carry of a handgun as long as such handgun is not being used to hunt.

Carry in a national forest is controlled by the state, not the feds.

The code is in the Admin Code of Virginia: 4VAC15-40-60 (G provides the exemption for CHP holder to carry CONCEALED)."

(bolding is mine)

So... my question is: what are KY's laws regarding carry (OC or CC) in a National Forest? (Red River Gorge?)

Thanks!

09jisaac

So... my question is: what are KY's laws regarding carry (OC or CC) in a National Forest? (Red River Gorge?)

Thanks!

There is no blanket statute for national parks/forests that I am aware of. Remember though, State agencies does not fall under Kentucky's preemption law so they may have their own rules/regulation in place. Contact the park/forest you wish to attend to find out about their rules in the matter.

langzaiguy

It depends on which NF you are referring to. Not only may you carry in Daniel Boone National Forest, but you may shoot there, as well. Land Between the Lakes, on the other hand, officially, does not allow carry.

KY has no law regarding carry on US Forest Service. I can't speak to VA law. Regarding the federal enforcement of federal prohibition against firearms (such as LBL), I believe they are on shaky ground and I would be surprised if anyone is prosecuted for it. The prohibition of firearms in a place like LBL is based on land protection regulations. Essentially, they took one random statute and took great latitude in interpreting it.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
There is no blanket statute for national parks/forests that I am aware of. Remember though, State agencies does not fall under Kentucky's preemption law so they may have their own rules/regulation in place. Contact the park/forest you wish to attend to find out about their rules in the matter.
What???

It was my understanding that KY's preemption was was VERY strong - preempting every governmental entity from overriding state law...? You're saying that's not correct?

I appreciate your other suggestion, but I definitely won't contact the park/forest because as far as I'm concerned that's about as reliable as calling a police department to find out what the law is.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
It depends on which NF you are referring to. Not only may you carry in Daniel Boone National Forest, but you may shoot there, as well. Land Between the Lakes, on the other hand, officially, does not allow carry.

KY has no law regarding carry on US Forest Service. I can't speak to VA law. Regarding the federal enforcement of federal prohibition against firearms (such as LBL), I believe they are on shaky ground and I would be surprised if anyone is prosecuted for it. The prohibition of firearms in a place like LBL is based on land protection regulations. Essentially, they took one random statute and took great latitude in interpreting it.
Whose land is LBL? US Army Corp of Engineers? If so, I can understand (legally - but of course not agree with) the rule.

Last edited:

langzaiguy

LBL is under the US Forest Service which I believe is under the Dept. of Ag. There is a recent thread about this.

Again, as far as Red River Gorge is concerned, it is very common to carry a firearm there.

KBCraig

USFS assimilates state law on National Forest lands. In Virginia, that means concealed with a license only, because VA has that quirk in their state law.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
What???

It was my understanding that KY's preemption was was VERY strong - preempting every governmental entity from overriding state law...? You're saying that's not correct?

I appreciate your other suggestion, but I definitely won't contact the park/forest because as far as I'm concerned that's about as reliable as calling a police department to find out what the law is.

It is.

Only the legislative body of the state may make laws concerning concealed firearms. Very specific governing bodies of local governments may enact ordinances to prohibit the carrying of CONCEALED firearms inside buildings they control, but they must abide by strict signage requirements and other requirements. Even if a local government does prohibit concealed firearms in buildings they control, we can still ignore the prohibition and carry concealed regardless because it is NOT a criminal offense. This is the only restriction they are allowed to maintain other than their ability to prohibit the discharge of firearms by ordinance.

As for openly carried firearms, our Constitution protects this right from being infringed upon, as does firearm preemption.

The State has no laws concerning the carrying of firearms openly in State or national parks

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
It is.

Only the legislative body of the state may make laws concerning concealed firearms. Very specific governing bodies of local governments may enact ordinances to prohibit the carrying of CONCEALED firearms inside buildings they control, but they must abide by strict signage requirements and other requirements. Even if a local government does prohibit concealed firearms in buildings they control, we can still ignore the prohibition and carry concealed regardless because it is NOT a criminal offense. This is the only restriction they are allowed to maintain other than their ability to prohibit the discharge of firearms by ordinance.

As for openly carried firearms, our Constitution protects this right from being infringed upon, as does firearm preemption.

The State has no laws concerning the carrying of firearms openly in State or national parks
Wow. Thanks for your detailed reply. Evidently the law is somewhat different than Virginia, where as I understand it, the state has FULL preemption of OC and CC.

Clearly, KY law has a few twists and turns I didn't realize the full implications of - which raises a few more questions: 1) what is the penalty for CCing in a government building (and did the legislators miss the "no penalty" part?), and 2) what are the specific entities you referred to? I know that quasi-governmental bodies were an issue at one time (Greater Cincinnati Airport - CVG).

Thanks again.

Evidently,

09jisaac

Wow. Thanks for your detailed reply. Evidently the law is somewhat different than Virginia, where as I understand it, the state has FULL preemption of OC and CC.

Clearly, KY law has a few twists and turns I didn't realize the full implications of - which raises a few more questions: 1) what is the penalty for CCing in a government building (and did the legislators miss the "no penalty" part?), and 2) what are the specific entities you referred to? I know that quasi-governmental bodies were an issue at one time (Greater Cincinnati Airport - CVG).

Thanks again.

Evidently,

They only have one option, to ask you to leave (go outside). If you correct the problem then you are no longer in violation of the law and can resume any other lawful activity.

Most government bodies that can own/lease real property that is ruled by a legislative body can limit concealed carry in their buildings.

KBCraig

@Craig With National Parks, you're right, but apparently that isn't the case with National Forests.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

USFS has traditionally assimilated state law in all National Forests, with the exception of some administrative rules like "no loaded guns in USFS campgrounds".

National Parks, under an entirely different department, banned all guns that weren't "unloaded, broken down, and securely cased", and they didn't care what state law said until the credit card reform act of 2009(?), where the law changed to require National Parks to respect state law.

In places where USFS bans guns, it's usually a correlation with state hunting bans. It's not intended for defensive sidearms, but the dweebs writing the regs seldom think of how it can be applied beyond hunters.

langzaiguy

I'm just relaying the information provided from LBL. They were very clear that firearms were prohibited by law. When I asked for the law citation, they provided a regulation that had nothing to do with firearms. If you were confronted and arrested, I think you would ultimately prevail, however, there is no preemption to protect you and you would have a formidable legal battle to fight.