Thread: Who owns what

Who owns what

How do you go about determining who owns a business? (Whether it's government run or otherwise?)

Quote Originally Posted by jfslicer View Post
    How do you go about determining who owns a business? (Whether it's government run or otherwise?)
    The easiest way is to try and locate a website and the about us section. They typically mention their founding and ownership.

If a website and about us section is not around or helpful, you can typically lookup the address location and get a tax parcel number and look up who has the deed/ownership of the property.

Might try calling and asking too?
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    ... you can typically lookup the address location and get a tax parcel number and look up who has the deed/ownership of the property. ...
    That's how I do it. My county tax rolls are on line, quick and easy to use, but I would look to who paid the most recent property tax.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jfslicer View Post
    generally, the sec. of state's for states maintain business records. Gov't corporations? Usually a given.

ex:

http://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/Co...eLlcController

ramdom state
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks!

If it's a WA entity, the corporations search at the secretary of state's web site can be very helpful. If it turns up, be sure to click on the "View Additional Information" link.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    you can typically lookup the address location and get a tax parcel number and look up who has the deed/ownership of the property.
    Only works if he business owns the property. Many just lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    That's how I do it. My county tax rolls are on line, quick and easy to use, but I would look to who paid the most recent property tax.
    Same as above but often the "tax payer" is the Mortgage Company

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    generally, the sec. of state's for states maintain business records. Gov't corporations? Usually a given.
    Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    If it's a WA entity, the corporations search at the secretary of state's web site can be very helpful. If it turns up, be sure to click on the "View Additional Information" link.
    for corporations you'll often only see their "Registered Agent" which can be in many cases the same person for a host of companies. They're merely the person that gets served when the company is sued or receives any communications from the State to the corporation.

There are more than a few Businesses that have owners that go out of their way to be anonymous. Even tracing the ownership can lead one from one "Corporation" to another, often never really leading to the actual owner. That is unless you are actually "the Government" looking for that info.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Only works if he business owns the property. Many just lease.

Same as above but often the "tax payer" is the Mortgage Company

for corporations you'll often only see their "Registered Agent" which can be in many cases the same person for a host of companies. They're merely the person that gets served when the company is sued or receives any communications from the State to the corporation.

There are more than a few Businesses that have owners that go out of their way to be anonymous. Even tracing the ownership can lead one from one "Corporation" to another, often never really leading to the actual owner. That is unless you are actually "the Government" looking for that info.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "hide the ball." We attorneys get to play it every day.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of "hide the ball." We attorneys get to play it every day.
    When dealing with Government it's more like "Hide the Salami" and guess who get's it
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"