• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who owns what

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
How do you go about determining who owns a business? (Whether it's government run or otherwise?)

The easiest way is to try and locate a website and the about us section. They typically mention their founding and ownership.

If a website and about us section is not around or helpful, you can typically lookup the address location and get a tax parcel number and look up who has the deed/ownership of the property.

Might try calling and asking too?

amlevin

you can typically lookup the address location and get a tax parcel number and look up who has the deed/ownership of the property.
Only works if he business owns the property. Many just lease.

That's how I do it. My county tax rolls are on line, quick and easy to use, but I would look to who paid the most recent property tax.

Same as above but often the "tax payer" is the Mortgage Company

generally, the sec. of state's for states maintain business records. Gov't corporations? Usually a given.

If it's a WA entity, the corporations search at the secretary of state's web site can be very helpful. If it turns up, be sure to click on the "View Additional Information" link.

for corporations you'll often only see their "Registered Agent" which can be in many cases the same person for a host of companies. They're merely the person that gets served when the company is sued or receives any communications from the State to the corporation.

There are more than a few Businesses that have owners that go out of their way to be anonymous. Even tracing the ownership can lead one from one "Corporation" to another, often never really leading to the actual owner. That is unless you are actually "the Government" looking for that info.

rapgood

Only works if he business owns the property. Many just lease.

Same as above but often the "tax payer" is the Mortgage Company

for corporations you'll often only see their "Registered Agent" which can be in many cases the same person for a host of companies. They're merely the person that gets served when the company is sued or receives any communications from the State to the corporation.

There are more than a few Businesses that have owners that go out of their way to be anonymous. Even tracing the ownership can lead one from one "Corporation" to another, often never really leading to the actual owner. That is unless you are actually "the Government" looking for that info.

Welcome to the wonderful world of "hide the ball." We attorneys get to play it every day.