• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Example of self defense laws protecting the aggressor in a homicide

77zach

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...been-a-dgu-one-punch-edition/#comment-1194071

Florida man killed after being punched once by robber.

The victim could not use deadly force under Fl law. Contrary to what the anti rights media cries, the self defense laws in Fl and other places are pretty conservative. Most punches aren't deadly, but some are. The FBI says hands and feet are more deadly than, "assault weapons" for example.

FallonJeeper

The method of attack is not addressed in any self defense laws that I'm aware of, only that the persons defending themselves fear for their life. In Florida Statutes it's termed "presumption of fear" and "imminent threat"

If the bad guy gets one punch in, and kills you then you have no ability to defend yourself. It's unfortunate, but it does happen. It does give credibility to those that defend themselves against somebody using bare hands.

If nothing else, I've learned, if you have to defend yourself with lethal force, and kill somebody, you're going to take the ride. You'll have to prove, in court, to a jury of your peers, that you were justified. I'd rather do that than be dead and not have the option.

Last edited: