Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Our state reps think they're better than us

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300

    Our state reps think they're better than us

    Apparently if they have a CHL the prohibited places don't even apply to them. You can't even kick them off your private property for having a weapon. As far as I can tell, Perry agrees because he signed the damned thing.

    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...time-in-texas/

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Well, then just clunk one on the top of his head and take his inside the GFZ .. sweet !

  3. #3
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Regarding the private property, I assume you mean that they can effectively ignore 30.06 signs... That is BS. If I owned a business I think I'd just say no politicians allowed, period. I of course wouldn't have a 30.06 sign on my door, but if I did, their exemption would be irrelevant. But, even if you didn't just ban all politicians from the premises, and regardless of any exemptions they have, you can always tell them to leave in the event you become aware of their carry status.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Regarding the private property, I assume you mean that they can effectively ignore 30.06 signs... That is BS. If I owned a business I think I'd just say no politicians allowed, period. I of course wouldn't have a 30.06 sign on my door, but if I did, their exemption would be irrelevant. But, even if you didn't just ban all politicians from the premises, and regardless of any exemptions they have, you can always tell them to leave in the event you become aware of their carry status.
    Good point. Regardless of carry laws, trespassing is trespassing. Problem is that you and I would be charged with trespass by a lic. holder, they just get a piece of paper that says they can't come back. What happened to equal protection? If Zimmerman moves to TX can he walk around 30.06 signs? He has more death threats sent to him a day than all of our reps combined in a year.

  5. #5
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Good point. Regardless of carry laws, trespassing is trespassing. Problem is that you and I would be charged with trespass by a lic. holder, they just get a piece of paper that says they can't come back. What happened to equal protection? If Zimmerman moves to TX can he walk around 30.06 signs? He has more death threats sent to him a day than all of our reps combined in a year.
    Good point.. There is no doubt they think of themselves as being in a privileged class.

    Edit: To clarify my earlier comment, when I said "that is BS", I meant it's BS that they have "allowed themselves" to do that, I didn't mean that what you were saying is BS. I agree with you completely.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 07-26-2013 at 06:39 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300
    I was with you. No need to clarify.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    We have = protection under the law .... so your state rep is going to be your bodyguard of something?

    Texas ain't what it used to be .... starting to go down the toilet ...

    red light cameras, stupid gun restrictions, etc ... now this

    i would not move to TX ... I just foresee more of this going in the wrong direction in the future

  8. #8
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    We have = protection under the law .... so your state rep is going to be your bodyguard of something?

    Texas ain't what it used to be .... starting to go down the toilet ...

    red light cameras, stupid gun restrictions, etc ... now this

    i would not move to TX ... I just foresee more of this going in the wrong direction in the future
    It is kinda funny how they'll ban the carry of firearms under the guise of public safety and then enable themselves to legally carry as soon as they get scared. Quite obviously they do not actually believe leaving firearms at home will increase the safety of the public - them being a part of the public.

  9. #9
    Regular Member hammer6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,169
    so basically they are saying their life is more important than ours...

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    I didn't see a bill number cited. I couldn't find anything like this that passed, and no one else reported it.

    Did such a bill actually pass? Cite with bill number?

  11. #11
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Not yet. I think this discussion is referring back to the effort during the regular session - that failed.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Kopis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    There is no doubt they think of themselves as being in a privileged class.
    i think that is most politicians, not just texas.

  13. #13
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    One thing you're overlooking here is that while the Texas legislators think the rules don't apply to themselves and they are better than the average Texan, they are part of a class that is subject to shooting in Texas - the bulk of them are attorneys. Haven't seen it lately but I want to say there was a daily limit on attorneys at 3 a day, hunting season is all year long.

  14. #14
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    One thing you're overlooking here is that while the Texas legislators think the rules don't apply to themselves and they are better than the average Texan, they are part of a class that is subject to shooting in Texas - the bulk of them are attorneys. Haven't seen it lately but I want to say there was a daily limit on attorneys at 3 a day, hunting season is all year long.
    Lets assume they are at higher risk, the right to defend ones self is not hinged upon the threats they face in daily life. If humanity achieved utopia and the threat of death was unfathomably low, I'd still have the right to carry a weapon to defend myself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •