• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone ever asked a LEO thier veiws of OC?

F350

I live on Colorado's western slope, things are pretty conservative here. While I have never approached LEO on the subject, I have had a few conversations with the locals just in passing, encounters at the drink bar in a stop-n-rob etc. Most express the opinion that when they see someone OCing with a holster they don't really give it a second thought. The BGs will carry a gun just shoved in their waistband for quick ditching, it is the "scrote" looking guy with an open, untucked shirt that draws their attention. A couple have even said they wished more people would OC because in their opinion it stops the criminal element from doing anything while an OCer is around.

On the front range (Denver-Boulder-Golden area) where the Kalifonia invaders tend to settle it sometimes gets dicey, but on the freedom side of the (continental) divide life is gooood!

carolina guy

after asking about 5 or 6 of them (I'm in a very small town), the reply is a unanimous 'yes' to OC.
However, the last 2 I talked to about OC got very iffy about how to handle someone OC'ing and not willing to ID themselves (after they get a call).
I was told by a Sgt. (who was filling in for the evening...he doesn't work in this town) that I COULD (but "might not") be charged under NCGS 14-223, if I refuse to ID myself "after they get a call and an officer asks me for my information".
Well, not to be dissuaded ... I looked it up. It's a pretty easy Google search. It says if I "willfully AND unlawfully resist, delay, or obstruct (an officer's investigation)" then I am guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Well, I find that to be quite interesting b/c NC is not a Stop and ID state, therefore I shall not be committing any unlawful act (by not ID'ing) if I am not suspected of committing a crime.
I will call our Chief next week (a very reasonable person, I might add) and ask "in what ways can I LAWFULLY resist, delay, or obstruct?". I can only think of a couple of ways: refusing a search of my person or property without a warrant (because that would definitely delay any investigation, 4th amendment anyone?), refusing to answer any questions I don't want to answer for any reason (because that would certainly delay any investigation, 5th amendment anyone?). There are probably other means by which I could lawfully resist, delay, or obstruct........I would just like to hear what he can come up with. If the answer is "you can NEVER lawfully do that", then I will inquire about the aforementioned amendments.
I know this is a little off the topic of this thread, and I'm not trying to derail it. So, please accept my apologies. Does anyone else have any experience or info on NCGS 14-223?

Stock up and stick together.

§ 14‑223. Resisting officers.
If any person shall willfully and unlawfully resist, delay or obstruct a public officer in discharging or attempting to discharge a duty of his office, he shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. [FONT=Times New (W1)][FONT=Times New (W1)](1889, c. 51, s. 1; Rev., s. 3700; C.S., s. 4378; 1969, c. 1224, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 136; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)[/FONT][/FONT]

Just because the LEO "got a call" does not mean that he "has a duty" to do anything about it. Also, you will note that you have to "willfully and UNLAWFULLY" stop the LEO from doing "his duty". You have the RIGHT to remain silent, so how would that be "unlawful"?

Basically, this is bogus...might not stop the ride, but the DA would never let this go anywhere, and likely, neither would the LEO's superior.

OpSec

Used to work at a stop-n-rob (stealing that term, f350) as a cashier, years ago. The store's location was at a fairly convenient intersection in town, and we had frequent LEO's stop in to shoot the breeze with me, as I worked the graveyard shift alone. Their presence was of course very welcomed and as most of them were firearm enthusiasts and former military, we got along great! I asked several of them how they felt about OC, to which the unanimous reply was that it tied up officers who could be stopping actual crimes, as they were required to respond to the calls. They did say they supported exercising one's rights and fighting unjust laws, but that doing so at this level was a waste. They also responded by letting me know that if the OC'er was being uncooperative, that it was possible for them to find a law being broken, somehow. Most of them gave the obstruction or disorderly excuse. I lost a lot of respect for them that night as LEO's, unfortunately.

solus

I follow the guidance from several non law enforcement friends...

"how may i help you officer?" repeated as necessary! if the officer wants documentation during a traffic stop, e.g., DL, it is presented promptly, followed by 'how may i help you officer?'

and that guidance has worked to date...

ipse

Last edited:

F350

Used to work at a stop-n-rob (stealing that term, f350) as a cashier, years ago. The store's location was at a fairly convenient intersection in town, and we had frequent LEO's stop in to shoot the breeze with me, as I worked the graveyard shift alone. Their presence was of course very welcomed and as most of them were firearm enthusiasts and former military, we got along great! I asked several of them how they felt about OC, to which the unanimous reply was that it tied up officers who could be stopping actual crimes, as they were required to respond to the calls. They did say they supported exercising one's rights and fighting unjust laws, but that doing so at this level was a waste. They also responded by letting me know that if the OC'er was being uncooperative, that it was possible for them to find a law being broken, somehow. Most of them gave the obstruction or disorderly excuse. I lost a lot of respect for them that night as LEO's, unfortunately.

Proof positive there are too many flipping laws on the books!

Stop-N-Rob is far from being "my" term, I have seen & heard it being used for a couple decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I asked my cat ... he said "meow" indicating that OC was good.

Why waste time talking with a cop ...

My cat said it was fine, what more do you folks want ?

Ruff ruff !:p

carolina guy

Just because the LEO "got a call" does not mean that he "has a duty" to do anything about it. Also, you will note that you have to "willfully and UNLAWFULLY" stop the LEO from doing "his duty". You have the RIGHT to remain silent, so how would that be "unlawful"?

Basically, this is bogus...might not stop the ride, but the DA would never let this go anywhere, and likely, neither would the LEO's superior.

And let me add...just because the LEA "got a call about a MWAG" does not mean that a crime has been, is being, or will be committed. Without RAS, a person who is not otherwise engaging in a "licensed" activity has no obligation to ID themselves in North Carolina. Just my $0.02 again on reflection.