• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New hope in a weary world

rapgood

I just got a call from a prospective client who drew his pistol in self-defense last year and was arrested for it. Kudos! to Renton where the prosecutor objectively evaluated the facts, determined that the act was self-defense, and is now returning the pistol to the defendant who was not charged.

Now, if only another local municipalities would cease their knee-jerk reactions of criminally prosecuting those who simply are exercising their constitutional and natural rights... Sigh...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That is great news.

Did he suffer any loss/harm for which he may be justified in seeking compensatory damages?

Are punitive damages on the table?

Hate to see someone win, but be the lesser for it.

rapgood

Now he has an arrest record though ... going to expunge that?
Sadly, there is no provision in Washington law that allows the record of an arrest to be expunged. The only respite from an arrest record is to sue the ever-living sh*t out of the arresting LEO, if the arrest itself was made without probable cause.
Keep up the good work rapgood. :banana::monkey
Thanks, but I get no credit for this one. It was the prosecutor who was keeping up the good work in this case.

Last edited:

GreatWhiteLlama

I just got a call from a prospective client who drew his pistol in self-defense last year and was arrested for it. Kudos! to Renton where the prosecutor objectively evaluated the facts, determined that the act was self-defense, and is now returning the pistol to the defendant who was not charged.

Now, if only another local municipalities would cease their knee-jerk reactions of criminally prosecuting those who simply are exercising their constitutional and natural rights... Sigh...

Details, back story, news article, etc.?

I'm curious as to the circumstances that would lead to an arrest but not prosecution.

rapgood

Details, back story, news article, etc.?

I'm curious as to the circumstances that would lead to an arrest but not prosecution.

Sorry. Wish I could give more details, but the Rules of Professional Conduct don't let me say more. If he wants to jump in and tell his story, that's entirely up to him.

tombrewster421

Sorry. Wish I could give more details, but the Rules of Professional Conduct don't let me say more. If he wants to jump in and tell his story, that's entirely up to him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was a thread about the incident after it happened right. Not sure if he had it deleted though.

PALO

Renton is the same agency that used the obviously unconstitutional cyberstalking law in that case of the officer creating those online animations making fun of problems in the dept. Remember that one?

I can just say in my agency, which is also in WA, we routinely deal with average joes using their firearms in self defense. Just the other day, I had a man hold a burglar at gunpoint in his garage until we arrived. Ironically, the burglar herself called 911 and told us to hurry up . she was afraid of getting shot! She didn't fear us. She feared the homeowner. GOOD!

The overwhelming majority of self defense gun uses I've responded to were without shots fired, which matches the national statistics. Ime, CCW'ers are exceptionally restrained and capable in their use of force with the firearm and in their decision to shoot or not shoot.

If anything, they are sometimes too restrained. I had one case where a guy literally executed another guy lying on the ground by emptying his semiauto into the man lying on the ground. The CCW'er got his gun out but by that time he could see the man's slide had locked back indicating he was out of ammo. He let the man walk off vs. issuing an order to stop and if he had issued an order to stop and it had been ignored, there's not a jury in the state or a prosecutor imo that would have ANY problem with him shooting the guy. He clearly represented a danger to society and under our deadly force law (and tenn v. garner) it would have been the kind of fleeing felon that he was justified to shoot.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
No this member had not posted anything on this particular event.

After talking with the member and getting his permission to share I will relate the story as I know it....

First, he is an active and respected member on this board.

He was at the Safeway gas station in Renton getting gas and between other cars when a car came up alongside his and the driver of that car was in a hurry and then became upset with others that the line was not going fast enough....

After getting gas the OC member got back out of his car to get the receipt... and then returned to his vehicle. The other driver was acting more and more upset and at that time got out of his car and came towards the OC member as he was getting back in his car. At this time there was a car in front of and behind the OC members car and the upset drivers car was along side... effectively limiting exit routes.

Instead of getting stuck in his vehicle and being attacked the OC member exited his vehicle (he was CC at this time, coming from school) after a small verbal exchange the driver kept coming towards the OC member. At this time fearing for his safety, the OC member drew his firearm from the CC position and told the driver to back down....

911 was called and the OC member's firearm was taken for evidence.....

That is really all that I know....

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Glad the legal stuff came out in his favor, but
He could have avoided an arrest record, and kept himself safer too.
He could have/should have, got in/stayed in, his car,,, windows up, doors locked, till he was able to drive away.
He still could use his gun to defend himself from the safety of his vehicle if needed!

amlevin

Glad the legal stuff came out in his favor, but
He could have avoided an arrest record, and kept himself safer too.
He could have/should have, got in/stayed in, his car,,, windows up, doors locked, till he was able to drive away.
He still could use his gun to defend himself from the safety of his vehicle if needed!

Sorry but when you're all locked up nice and tight in a vehicle you have absolutely no options available to you to escape. Someone could merely stand back and fill the vehicle with holes should they be so inclined. I'd rather face my potential attackers outside where I have room to maneuver or even escape.

acmariner99

I'm guessing this was the Safeway on 4th? (If so that is practically my backyard). I think he did the right thing, apparently the Renton DA thought so too. People really ought to have a little more patience.