• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18-20 Handgun Legalities

Niner

Greetings all,

Let me begin by stating I am 18 years old - I realize this section is "Stories from the States" but I wanted to make sure this made it to some FL guys. I apologize if this offends anyone.

My father recently purchased a Glock handgun. He liked it at first but after a few trips to the range he grew less and less fond of the gun. We were discussing the gun the other night and I offered to purchase it from him. He said he was unsure about the laws of firearm transfer for a handgun to a 18-20 year old. After some digging I have finally decided to make a post on here to do some fact checking, experience hunting, and advice searching.

*Please correct any fallacies in what I am about to say, while I am well studied, much of what I know is from internet-based sources.*

Based on my findings I have concluded: (For Florida)
- There aren't laws against an 18-20 year old owning a handgun.
- There aren't laws against an 18-20 year old possessing a handgun. (By which I mean responsibly bringing to range and back/In home SD situation)
- It is legal for a person of 18-20 years of age to either purchase a handgun in a private sale or be gifted a handgun.
- An FFL may not transfer a handgun to a person under the age of 21.
- Straw purchases are straw purchases, and therefore illegal. (Not relevant to my primary inquiry, just showing proof of research :p )
- One may only carry a concealed weapon with a CCW. (duh)
- A person must be at least 21 years of age to acquire a CCW, unless said person is a service member.
- Service member is legally defined as: 250.19 - "'Servicemember' means any person serving as a member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty or state active duty and all members of the Florida National Guard and United States Reserve Forces."

I am going to be joining the National Guard fairly soon, and planned on obtaining my CCW after BCT and AIT. Would the acquisition of my CCW nullify any red tape involved in this topic, or does age still come in to play regardless of CCW possession?

I thank you for your time to review my inquiry, and I beseech you to please not make snap judgements based on my age. While I accept that I am young, and inexperienced, I would at least like to be given a fair shake that there is a chance I am at least a mature, intelligent (not to be confused with wise ;) ).

Once again, Thank you,

-Chris

Last edited:

77zach

I didn't see anything incorrect in your post. You can have a concealed gun in your car without a CWFL as long as it is in a closeable container, such as in a glovebox.

ADulay

I thank you for your time to review my inquiry, and I beseech you to please not make snap judgements based on my age. While I accept that I am young, and inexperienced, I would at least like to be given a fair shake that there is a chance I am at least a mature, intelligent (not to be confused with wise ;) ).

Once again, Thank you,

-Chris

I can assure you that YOUR knowledge of the law is much better than mine was when I was 18.

AD

Niner

I can assure you that YOUR knowledge of the law is much better than mine was when I was 18.

AD

Thank you for the kind words. With the world I find myself growing up in I feel like it is a "punished for not knowing" environment rather than a "rewarded for knowing" one. Therefore I try to stay as properly informed as possible.

Also I saw in a different post you open carry when riding your motorcycle (If the make/model was in the post, that information alluded me) to the range. Do you think it would be unwise for an 18 year old to be so bold to do the same? I'd rather bring my triumph for the better parking! ;)

shastadude17

FL Nasty Girl that owned handguns from 18-20. You hit the nail on the head with everything. I'm insanely jealous of you, because I wrote my congress woman (Ms. Castor) a few years ago when I was 19 and freshly home from OIF/OND, asking to have the age for a CCW permit lowered to 18, if not at least for veterans. I felt it to be a slap in the face that I can roll around southern Iraq with a 240B but can't go to Wal Mart with a concealed Glock 19. Ms. Castor wrote me back, essentially telling me to get bent, and then a few days after I turned 21 in March of 2012, low and behold the great state of Florida says service members can now obtain a CCW at 18. What a kick in the nuts...so enjoy the "privilege", because according to the "Gunshine State", that's all it is.

Now let me step off my soap box and get back on subject...you're absolutely right in everything you said, however after you enlist you will still be subject to not being able to purchase "ammunition for a handgun", or a handgun from an FFL until you are 21. You can keep it in your glove compartment, locked cocked and ready to rock (ignore this 3 step myth garbage I keep hearing), and can employ it in a self defense scenario if need be. I would suggest doing that, just don't leave it in your car overnight unless you want it stolen.

Last thing I want to hit on, I'm not condoning or endorsing lying to the vendor at the gun shop because my mommy told me not to lie and the federal government says it's illegal, however if you happen to own a rifle in the same caliber as whatever handgun you have, you are lawfully allowed to purchase a handgun caliber bullet for said long gun at the age of 18. So if you get carded buying 9mm, 40, 45, etc, simply explain to the individual selling you the ammunition that it is for your long gun.

Hope this helps buddy, wish you the best of luck in the NG, however I would advise against it unless you're looking to go infantry. I'd suggest you go army reserve instead.

EDIT: Also AD or JoJo, please feel free to correct me if I misspoke :]

Last edited:

Niner

Hope this helps buddy, wish you the best of luck in the NG, however I would advise against it unless you're looking to go infantry. I'd suggest you go army reserve instead.

I'm most likely going to end up a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic 31B. I'm going NG because they have a program right now that will pay for a lot of my college. Don't get me wrong, if the service was a volunteer thin I would still be doing it. But if I can serve and get helped out for college? Hell yeah. (I'm in that group of people that thinks everyone should be required 2 years of service.) After I get my degree, I plan on then deciding how I want to continue my military career, etc. As for now? Just trying to survive one day at a time;)

Thanks for your response too. Helped me clear up about CCW possession and how FFL's treat me at 18-20 with a CCW.:cool:

EDIT: FL NG. not sure what other. States offer EDD-like programs.

Last edited: